PDA

View Full Version : Barton Fees

coopervane
21st Mar 2005, 21:21
I see full flying membership at Barton is now £240 per year.
A slightly above inflation increase! Well there must be extra goodies on offer to justify the increase then?

Lets have a look then.
Access to the Flying School for the hire of aircraft for check rides and for revalidation flights..........No change there.

The use of the members clubhouse.........No change there.

Preferential rates in the aircraft maintenance Department................no change there

Hangerage for aircraft...........no change there

The free use of the Members' Car park when car parking charges are introduced later this year..........errrrrrr a change there!!

Belonging to the oldest established and largest flying club in the U.K. which maintains Barton as an historic aerodrome for General Aviation.......well you can't change history.

Is this good value for money? I suppose the only way to answer that is to look at another flying club and see what they charge.

Lets take Bournemouth. A fine establishment with a good fleet of aircraft offering all of the above and a bit more.
It has inclusive landing fees at the airport included in the membership fee.
It has a great clubhouse with "character" and has free car parking for all.
Its' hire rates are competative and has twin hire available.
The only problem with Bournemouth is that it is miles from Manchester and so does not offer much competition to the LAC.
So what do they charge a year to join??? £60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit of a difference don't you think, or am I alone in this train of thought?

And so where does all this money go? Peel Holdings perhaps?
Or maybe overflowing club funds?
Which brings me to another point of which a number of members have commented.
Paying top dollar to join and the going rate for hire, the aircraft you fly would be expected to be "top notch".
Lets just say on occasion, the aircraft could be a whole lot better.

I await your comments with baited breath.

Coopervane

:confused:

Evil J
22nd Mar 2005, 06:13
Can't comment on the specifics at Barton; but I have always wondered why flying clubs require you to pay for the "pleasure" of handing over large amounts of cash to them to hire their aircraft??

Kolibear
22nd Mar 2005, 06:33
Because its your club. Yor membership fee goes to pay the rent, the insurance, maintainance etc etc etc. If you started a flying club from scratch, you'd need a mega-load. Where would youy get the money to repay it - from the people who use the facilities.. so you either add £10 to the cost of a lesson, or charge £110 p.a. membership.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

coopervane
22nd Mar 2005, 07:18
No one is denying bills have to be paid, but the level of levy seems to be a bit steep don't you think?

Coop

Zlin526
22nd Mar 2005, 09:54
I see full flying membership at Barton is now £240 per year.

£240.00!!!!!!!!!! for membership of a flying club??? Must be a fantastic club environment...

Which reminds me of those clubs who charge a similar membership fee, PLUS a similar huge 'once-only joining' fee, which is just another way of saying "membership fee £480.00"! What does the joining fee entitle you to?

Vote with your feet:E

Evil J
22nd Mar 2005, 11:50
Kolibear - i accept your point and in a "club" environment i would agree(by the members for the members not for profit type affair), but at a school (which most "clubs" actually are lets face it) the cost of the aeroplane is where the money should be taken to pay the bills. That also ensures that those using the facilities more pay more.

You dont have to become a member of Hertz to rent a car, and most of their facilities are far smarter than your average flying school!!!!

Vino Collapso
22nd Mar 2005, 12:18
Interesting what facilities are available at Flying Clubs. Many that I have frequented were not much more than ramshackle huts with poor facilities, worn out chairs, smelly loos, indifferent staff and no real social life at all.

Compare to, lets say, golf clubs here in the UK (I am not a golfer I hasten to add), most have plush buildings, good bars and restaurants, waiting lists for membership, big overheads on the upkeep of the grounds etc. etc.

Strange what we pilots will accept.........:(

Established Localiser
22nd Mar 2005, 19:55
I am suprised that Barton have started to charge students landing fee's !! that surely has to be a backwards step , I thought you were supposed to entice the potential student to part with his or her £5000-£7000 for a PPL.:confused:

A real Marketing Guru thought of that one !! It must make Manchester International, Liverpool,Blackpool & Harwarden more attractive to a potential student.

I really do hope that Peel and associated companies do start to invest into the Aviation side at Barton although I doubt it.

G.A needs something to smile about and look forward to instead of being chipped away at all the time.

No doubt we will all put up with the changes & price Hikes
:{

Shame

Keep your fingers crossed for the future, at least we have a 2 year stay of execution ;)

EL

coopervane
22nd Mar 2005, 21:59
A two year stay of execution will mean the club house will fall down by itself and Peel will save money on the demolition!

Coop:*

coopervane
24th Mar 2005, 14:07
Tatenhill East Staffs. Club £32 a year!!!

Coop & Bear