PDA

View Full Version : 767 landings with A/T armed

reverserunlocked
21st Mar 2005, 16:15
Hullo

Just a quick question about the 767, specifically the 300ER but I guess it's the same for the others.

I was under the impression that with A/T armed, even if landing manually, the throttles retarded automatically at flare height and the A/T disengaged upon touchdown. Is this the case? Or do you disconnect the A/T just before touchdown and retard the throttles yourself?

I'm a PPL who's just getting to grips with the quite fantastic Level D Simulations Boeing 767 (no snobbery please, for some of us PPLers it's the closest we'll get to the front of the big iron since 9/11) and I'm finding it hard to engage reverse for quite a few seconds after touchdown with A/T engaged as the engines are still at 55%N1 and I have to wait a few moments before they wind down a bit.

This thing does seem to be pretty faithful to the real thing, and a few 767 drivers helped build it, so maybe it's me more used to something with papier mache wings. Anyone got any advice?

While we're at it, do the ground spoliers on the 767 deploy with reverse, or are they armed in the same way as a 737's?

:ok:

FLCH
21st Mar 2005, 17:18
Don't fry the -300, but do 200/400,I personally don't use the A/T on landing, but during autolands they start to retard at 30 feet, and stay engaged thru the rollout till disconnected, It takes a while to begin reverse, as the isolation valves have to pneumatically drive the translating sleeves to move aft ( the big ring on the engine on the aft cowl) and the blocker doors (inside the big ring) need to move into position so they can direct fan air into the cascade guide vanes, that direct the fan air forward and out. Once all that happens and the interlock releases you can go into reverse. That prabably is why there is a delay..... The speedbrakes deploy when the gear is on the ground (ie the bogies are not tilted) and the speedbrake lever was armed. It will also deploy if the throttles are moved to the reverse idle detent, regardless of whether it's armed or not. I maybe be wrong for the -300, but hope this helps...

Backtrack
21st Mar 2005, 17:44
Fly -200s, -300s & 757s (-200s). They all behave the same.

I go along with all that FLCH has posted, except to add that the A/Ts will disconnect with thrust levers in reverse.

I'm pretty sure that this method is used by Air New Zealand. The advantage is that should a go around be required, the autothrottle G/A mode will command a climb rate of about 2000 FPM. UK rules require full G/A thrust is set for a G/A commenced below 500ft ARTE if the G/A is fully manual (i.e. no autopilot, nor autothrottle). This can make the a/c quite a handful!

reverserunlocked
21st Mar 2005, 18:52
BT and FLCH thanks, that cleared it up. So pretty much unless you're doing an autoland most chaps disconnect the A/T at some stage during final....

cheers :cool:

3Greens
21st Mar 2005, 20:18
Eh??
The GA mode re-engages the autothrottle when the GA switches are pressed so you never get full thrust unless the autothrottle is DISARMED on the MCP...not recommended by Boeing for normal ops.
What on earth is that rubbish about full GA thrust below 500' in the UK all about?

spoilers yellow
21st Mar 2005, 20:43
There is a big difference between having manual control of the thrust levers and having the A/T disarmed on the MCP.

It is certainly our sop that if hand flying, then the auto trottle must me disconnected, however it remains armed on the mcp (except if called for by a checklist, eg. engine failure). If you subsequently select a 'smart' A/T mode, FLT LVL CHG GA etc then the auto thottle will automatically re-engage.

I have also never heard of the full power GA below 500ft, I had a GA from 100ft at LHR last night, fully automatic and we got as expected 2000fpm from the autothottle.

Backtrack
23rd Mar 2005, 11:08
Sorry, mea culpa! Thinking of 2 things at once.

What I meant to write was that my employer's SOPs require full G/A thrust below 500ft IF SET MANUALLY. (For an auto G/A, we accept the A/T ROC, regardless of what alt the G/A was commenced.)

As for re-engagement of autothrottle, it appears that this will depend on the pin selections in the A/T computer. Where I work, this option is not selected for G/A.

Our SOPs also require that if the autopilot(s) are disengaged, then so is the A/T. (Presumably to guard against PIO)

chapin
23rd Mar 2005, 19:24
hey man where can I use this Level D Simulations Boeing 767 ?
and how much $$ thanks:ok:

reverserunlocked
24th Mar 2005, 09:52
Chap,

You need a copy of FS9, obviously, and then go to www.leveldsim.com to purchase and download the 767-300ER. The software's about $40. I have no time for anorak simmers personally but the complexity of this bird keeps out the gimps to be honest.

For $40 and the limitations of FS9 (which are many!), it models pretty much everything you'd want from the real thing, down to the FA's yelling at you from the back that it's too cold if you have the packs on too high!

You can start her up from cold and dark, including turning on battery power, connecting external power and air or starting up the APU, aligning the IRS's etc. For those of us who just use a key to start our aircraft I find it all a bit exciting :O