PDA

View Full Version : Bodmin aerodrome

BEagle
20th Mar 2005, 16:30
We're thinking of flying down to Cornwall soon, probably to Bodmin.

Just one query - can anyone tell me what the aerodrome restaurant is like? Most UK aerodrome restaurants seem stuck in the rut of peasant food like bacon rolls, 'all day breakfasts' and burgers. Are better things available at Bodmin?

Negative 'G'
20th Mar 2005, 19:21
peasant food like bacon rolls, 'all day breakfasts'

Ooooh Lardy Effing Dah, maybe they'll get the fresh Salmon & Caviar out once they know your coming & hopefully charge you a Toff's landing fee too:*

Neg:mad:

BEagle
20th Mar 2005, 19:24
Just because one is a pilot, one does not have to eat like a lorry driver....

I guess if the restaurant is closed, one will need a hire car to Padstow.

WorkingHard
20th Mar 2005, 21:50
Beagle - come north instead. Everyone (whatever they fly or eat) is made welcome at Fenland.

BEagle
21st Mar 2005, 06:02
Nope, there is another reason to go to the Bodmin area apart from visiting the aerodrome....

englishal
21st Mar 2005, 07:31
From a business point of view, if you had a really good restaraunt on an airfield, you would actually attract customers who would fly in simply because of the restaraunt.....They could then drop he price of landings as these could be subsidised by the restaraunt......

david viewing
21st Mar 2005, 10:02
if you had a really good restaraunt on an airfield, you would actually attract customers who would fly in

That actually happens in one part of England. It's called "America".

bcfc
21st Mar 2005, 10:07
I think AV8 at Kemble would qualify (well, most of the time)

ramrise40
21st Mar 2005, 10:56
and don't forget Goodwood - probably classy enough for you Beagle!

Why not buy a telescopic bike from junglebikes.com (run by a C152 owner at Staverton), then the world will be your oyster and you'll be working off some of that cellulite!

skydriller
21st Mar 2005, 11:07
...Or at the other end of the country, I seem to remember a rather good establishment at Fife/Glenrothes, from when I was in Scotland a few years ago, is it still open and of the same high standard I remember?

Regards, SD..

Circuit Basher
21st Mar 2005, 11:32
Skydriller - Tipsy Nipper is still at Fife and offering excellent food (no, I don't work for them!!).

Food at Perth is quite good home cooked stuff, BUT the cafe facility itself is very much from the greasy spoon era and lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.

BEagle - you could always take a Fortnums hamper with you if you wish to go posh!! :D (or Reggie and Ronnie could be sacrificed to a good thermidor!! :D).

A stop en route at either Compton Abbas or Dunkeswell could well provide a satisfactory comestible experience!

BEagle
21st Mar 2005, 11:56
Thanks for all the suggestions; the team will probably drop in to Mr Stein's restaurant in Padstow if we can get a table!

The primary mission objective is to research an ex-RAF chum's vineyard with a view to supplying the odd case or few to my foodie chum who owns a jolly nice country house and restaurant in British West Oxfordshire!

The secondary objective is a bit of formation flying....

Edited to add that Reg and Ron are rather keen to avoid being in the presence of Mr Stein!

Windy Militant
21st Mar 2005, 12:58
Just because one is a pilot, one does not have to eat like a lorry driver....

One of the best meals I've had was on a Norse Irish freight ferry when I had to get some kit back from Belfast sharpish.

Goood food and plenty of it. A bar and comfy lounge and two cinema screens showing films that were on current release.

Good food is one thing Lorry Drivers know about. It may not be fancy but for good value you can't beat a proper transport cafe!

Haven't been in for a while but I hear that most of the staff and flying schools at Kemble now eat In the Wings Cafe rather than the AV8

Have to agree about Compton Abbas great cakes!

Three Blades
23rd Mar 2005, 11:58
If you are going to Padstow then may I suggest you fly to Roserrow/Polzeath. www.roserrow.co.uk
It is a golf club with a little grass strip. Very low key (no fuel).
Just get a lift to Rock and get the passenger ferry across to Padstow.
St Mawgan charges large handling fees.
There is a pub a few miles from Bodmin with great beer (I dont remember the food !)

Wassat Noyze
24th Mar 2005, 10:12
The eatery at Bodmin provides a good selection of home cooked meals ~ I suggest you call ahead to determine opening hours.

Unfortunately the Club suffers the same fate as many others in that everyone wants the good facilities but so few make use of them that they are not economically viable.

Of course if you don't live or work in Cornwall then cost is probably not an issue ~ go you right ahead and visit Mr Stein's village, I am sure you will not be disappointed. I suggest you do this before you visit the vinyard in order that the magnitude of his markup on the local wines doesn't taint your apatite.:ok:

effortless
24th Mar 2005, 10:41
Ah happy memories of steak and fried egg breakfasts at Ruislip courtesy of Uncle Sam. Oh dear, was that really thirty years ago?:{

Hampshire Hog
24th Mar 2005, 13:23
The Clubhouse at Wycombe Air Park (Booker) - EGTB - has recently been refurbished and now offers good food and drink in pleasant surroundings. There's even a nice veranda from which one may watch the airfield activities, although it is quite a distance from the main runway.

Certainly one worth a look.

HH

AlanM
24th Mar 2005, 13:51
BEagle wrote:

the team will probably drop in to Mr Stein's restaurant in Padstow if we can get a table!

I hope you have booked light years in advance for the main restaurant old chap!! Alternatively, he has a few other eaterys in Padstow - we ended up in St Petroc's Hotel which he owns and has a great restaurant. Yumm yumm!!:)