PDA

View Full Version : Anything happening out there today (Sunday 20th)?

Monocock
20th Mar 2005, 07:37
Once this mist clears and last nights wine wears off I shall be looking for somewhere to go.....

Anybody know of any gatherings / events today or will it be another full english at the local?

sharpshot
20th Mar 2005, 08:12
Hey Monocock,

I think you missed out! The weather at Avalon has been gorgeous all weekend - a definite improvement on midweek. Anyway, it's over as i write, but I am z + 11hrs.

How is the wx back home; someone said it was T-shirt wx!!

Hope you get airborne and I hope there will be some fine wx next weekend. Must dash, flight home boarding:ok:

BRL
20th Mar 2005, 09:21
Come to Shoreham and take us for a spin over the downs......... :)

Monocock
20th Mar 2005, 11:22
Would love to but I'm afraid it's still foggy here.

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Mar 2005, 11:31
Managed one circuit (with an instructor) ... couldn't see the runway all the time, in clould part of the time, no horizon (which doesn't usually bother me but I wasn't too happy during the climb), navigating partly by known ground features, never done a bad weather circuit in this type before ...

Oh well, try again next weekend.

ozplane
20th Mar 2005, 12:02
My sympathies Gertrude. I was all set for Kemble yesterday but the clag never really cleared. Got a "late pass" from the Boss today to try for Wellesbourne but I can't see my 2 km marker from my study window so I guess it's the Malaysian GP on TV and a "kicking the cat" session. I'm on the N herts/XCambs border by the way.

Penguina
20th Mar 2005, 12:42
:( :( :(

I'm dusting off my wings, doing a few tentative circuits, reckoning I'm ready for the flying season to begin in earnest... and... "now what???" :*

Going to sulk.

AerBabe
20th Mar 2005, 16:58
We had two aircraft into North Weald today... Cloud base was reported by the second to be 800 ft aal and 3 km vis - probably the best it got all day. :(

Andy_R
20th Mar 2005, 17:12
After a long long wait I got to do a bimble along the coast, above a very murky inversion layer. Coming back in was fun, no forward vis into the sun so navigating by looking directly down :ooh: Thank goodness for the new screen.

Mono , she's back (yesterday) so expect a visit soon :ok: And flying well too :cool:

d192049d
21st Mar 2005, 16:18
Took off to revalidate on a 172R into broken @ 600 feet then overcast @ 1200 and proved the validity and appeal of the IMC rating when we [Me & CFI] broke through to perfect VMC on top at 3000 feet.

Thouroughly enjoyed myself and even did an SRA back in due unservicable ILS.

Now to negotiate the cost of same with my beloved...anybody got any tips?

M

boomerangben
21st Mar 2005, 17:05
We had 8/8 blue with a gentle SW. Perfect for low level precision navex. Glorious. Apologies for pomposity - it is not often that we get the best flying weather.

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Mar 2005, 18:11
Now to negotiate the cost of same with my beloved...anybody got any tips? Well, I just got a flight as a birthday present - I told Mrs GtW that if she bought me the flight she'd actually save money! - on account of I was going to do the flight anyway, so it was coming out of the household budget anyway, so if she bought it for me she'd save the cost of some other birthday present!

It worked. She even talked the club manager into a discount, which I'd never have been able to do.

DBChopper
21st Mar 2005, 18:15
Here in the SE it was mightily crap!

Planned to fly from Redhill to Eastwell manor, near Ashford, Kent for a nice lunch and a bit of jazz. That idea was shelved due to nasty claggy mist / haze so it was into the car and down the M20 :( (plan B)

Wasn't the arrival I had planned, but imagine my surprise to see an R44 sat on the helipad beneath the gloom.... I decided he must have flown in the day before - hope they weren't in a hurry to get back :hmm:

Still, good to see it was clear today while I was at work :{

DBChopper

Monocock
21st Mar 2005, 19:55
Andy

Call in whenever you want. I'm glad you're airborne again. Hope the skylight's been fixed properly....:O

You'll have to come to my mid-summer barby !