PDA

View Full Version : Approach - tactics and strategy?

Low Fidelity
19th Mar 2005, 15:24
Hi all,

As a non air transport pilot equipped with only basic outsider knowledge I'm not sure how absurd the following question is so feel free to point out the bleeding obvious if necessary.

In airline (or biz) operations how much scope does the pilot have for employing their own strategy and tactics in the execution of the approach and landing tasks (I'm thinking mainly about the management of the vertical profile from TOD to landing)? Is this pretty much ironed out by SOP, airspace and ATC requirements or is there still freedom for 'individual style'?

Are there any rules that dictate when automation should or shouldn't be used and what level should be employed or is this left to pilot discretion? How much freedom is there for choosing how and when to configure the aircraft i.e. flaps, gear etc...?

If there is any such freedom for individual style is there a noticeable variability between pilots or does a general strategy tend to get adopted?

Sorry if this seems vague, I'm not trying to pick fault (honest!), just reading through some research papers and trying to fit them into context + enhance my own understanding of the domain.

Constantly fascinated by the subject area =)

Thanks for any input.

Low Fi

BOAC
19th Mar 2005, 16:14
I'm not sure how absurd the following question is

- seems reasonable to me!

In airline (or biz) operations how much scope does the pilot have for employing their own strategy and tactics in the execution of the approach and landing tasks (I'm thinking mainly about the management of the vertical profile from TOD to landing)? Is this pretty much ironed out by SOP, airspace and ATC requirements or is there still freedom for 'individual style'?

- depends on where you are, weather, experience etc. IF conditions are good, you can see the airfield from, say 100 miles away, and ATC have no restrictions, you can virtually 'do your own thing', bearing in mind other traffic, aircraft energy levels and terrain.

Are there any rules that dictate when automation should or shouldn't be used and what level should be employed or is this left to pilot discretion? How much freedom is there for choosing how and when to configure the aircraft i.e. flaps, gear etc...?

- automatics are always 'recommended' both for passenger comfort and in relieving the workload, but having said that, there is encouragement to 'switch it off' and practice basic skills. Sometimes, paradoxically, trying to programme the automatics is much harder than just flying the machine to where and how you want it. Configuring flap etc is more or less dictated by the need to keep energy levels manageable, but there is again freedom to choose how and when, as there is with ground track. Obviously if ATC are calling the shots they will ask for (or publish) speeds/heights which may require flap etc.

If there is any such freedom for individual style is there a noticeable variability between pilots or does a general strategy tend to get adopted?

- yes and no! A guarded 'no' as there are some SOPs which always apply.

HIH

selwaykid
20th Mar 2005, 00:33
In biz flying with turboprops we generally operate near the same approach speeds to maintain a good flow of traffic. Depending on all the variable factors such as traffic peaks, difficulty of the approach, terrain, weather, day/night, etc...of course pilot experience will dictate how well the approach goes. Most of my flying is single pilot and often into high density IFR airports in the USA.
I try to keep the speeds up as far as I can without having to put out all the stops to slow on short final. I like to taxi in without my sometimes demanding passengers complaining that I made the ice tinkle in their glasses during a hairy and demanding approach. We all have the same charts and profiles that we have to follow as far as an IFR approach. How we accomplish them depends on pilot skill and experience. Some new pilots can do it with smoothness that is a delight, and some older pilots with lots of experience are still groping like students. My aim is to get it off the ground and back down again with my passengers telling me how boring the flight was! So far so good.... but I'm thinking seriously abut retiring after 46 years in the front seat and just over 22,000 hrs.

Low Fidelity
21st Mar 2005, 09:46
Thanks all, that clears a lot up for me. Also breeds a whole lot more questions ;)

If I'm reading this right then the whole operation is pretty much pre-written by the demands of various parties involved but there is a certain amount of freedom which determines how smoothly it all fits together?

Out of curiosity more than anything, what do you think are the most significant/recurring decisions that you have to make during the descent and approach? I know it sounds vague but to give you an idea of the way I'm thinking, If I were to try and describe your job during the descent/approach phase as a very simple (and probably very naive!) network of decisions which do you think should definitely be included?

Hope this makes some sense, I have a tendency to miss the mark a bit sometimes:p I have a real interest in decision making though and think it's essential to get the opinions of the people actually doing the job before I go anywhere with this.

Thanks for all the help so far, its been fantastic :ok:

hercboy
21st Mar 2005, 11:43
it does really depend on what your flying aswell like thoes other pilots are fliyng larger aircraft, at the moment ive got my GFPT, and got around 40 hours in a bug smasher (cessna 150 and a 152)

what do you think are the most significant/recurring decisions that you have to make during the descent and approach?

well the ATC does have some controll unless they give you a visual approach, but when im flying im thinkin about the wind other trafic e.g. a QANTAS 737 comeing if i have to quiclky duck in and make my landing or get told by the ATC to do a orbit theres many things to think about but, theres a point of view from a studient pilot.

BOAC
21st Mar 2005, 13:14
"If I'm reading this right then the whole operation is pretty much pre-written by the demands of various parties involved but there is a certain amount of freedom which determines how smoothly it all fits together?"

- makes it all sound very complicated, but I guess it is a fair summary!

"Out of curiosity more than anything, what do you think are the most significant/recurring decisions that you have to make during the descent and approach? I know it sounds vague but to give you an idea of the way I'm thinking, If I were to try and describe your job during the descent/approach phase as a very simple (and probably very naive!) network of decisions which do you think should definitely be included?"

- it is more a constant process of review, with 'decisions' changing a lot of the time, and mostly interlaced. I'm not sure this process can be 'put in a box'! Basic thoughts lie with:-

Reviewing the profile of the descent to ensure that any prerequisite heights and speeds, either procedural or self-calculated, are achieved, with changing winds and routeing and ATC imposed level restrictions, and if weather conditions change markedly, adjusting the profile for the changed approach. Can I improve on the 'efficiency' (fuel/time) of the arrival following any changing weather/traffic/airfield factors?

Passenger comfort levels - turbulence/ descent rates etc/cabin preparation for landing. Do the ground handlers have all the information they need?

Ensuring that the other crew member/s are 'in-the-loop' as these decisions change and that any changing requirements on board are processed. These can range from sudden passenger illness to a minor change in the planning for the next sector.

Do we need to change the way we will land - eg will the other pilot be better placed to fly a visual approach?

This all assumes that I am sure that we will land where we planned to! In the case of bad weather at destination.......I think I'll give up now trying to enumerate!

"Hope this makes some sense, I have a tendency to miss the mark a bit sometimes I have a real interest in decision making though and think it's essential to get the opinions of the people actually doing the job before I go anywhere with this."

- I would be interested to know where you might be 'going'?

Low Fidelity
22nd Mar 2005, 10:58
Thanks again everybody, more thoughts to mull over :ok:

BOAC - Thanks again, I've sent you a PM.

Regards

Low Fi