PDA

View Full Version : Techncail Interview....

babyken
19th Mar 2005, 15:17
When I was answering question during the interview to the Controller, I kept using about when I know the answer is correct, will this pose a problem (In the maths question)??

For example:

He asked 'How long would an aircraft take to travel 180nm travelling at 360 knots?'

I know that answer is 30mins but I answered 'about 30mins'

I am certain about the answer is just the way I am used to answer questions since young. It happend to all the questions I answered.

I just want to know would it be problem?

Thanks everyone.

Ken Yuen

Vee One...Rotate
19th Mar 2005, 16:22
DISCLAIMER: Non ATC-type and fledgling pilot!

The 30 mins part of your answer is the important bit - it shows you can work it out. If you let slip an "about" once or twice I can't see how it would be a big issue. Having said that, if you said "about" to practically every question it might annoy the interviewer!

If you tak the pedantic approach, your example question doesn't say "about" in it anywhere...so your answer shouldn't include it.

Q: "A plane is travelling at about 360 knots, how long does it roughly take for it to travel 180 nm?" A: "About 30 minutes."

Q: "A plane is travelling at 360 knots, how long does it take for it to travel 180 nm?" A: "30 minutes."

Don't think you need to worry toooo much aboout it though...just some obscure semantics after all. Easiet thing to do is stop saying "about" I spose!

Regards.

V1R :ok:

benedictus
19th Mar 2005, 20:18
Your answer is fine, don't worry, the interviewer won't mark you down, and I'm sure if you had been challenged you would have said something along the lines of different head winds etc..

BTW is it me or is the spelling of potential ATCOs getting worse??

250 kts
20th Mar 2005, 08:34
It's not only the spelling!

VectorLine
20th Mar 2005, 15:28
I wouldn't worry about your maths.

English seems to be more of a problem.

trafficcontrol
20th Mar 2005, 20:37
Or just a typing error, it happens alot to me. Sometimes the keys don't seem to register, so nothing happens on screen. :S

Ah well.