PDA

View Full Version : Southampton Eastleigh - Flying clubs given notice to quit?

ramrise40
19th Mar 2005, 00:16
Just heard a rumour that the two flying clubs based at Eastleigh have been given notice to quit - can anyone confirm???

Monocock
19th Mar 2005, 06:42
Just heard a rumour that the two flying clubs based at Eastleigh have been given notice to quit - can anyone confirm???

02.16 hrs is a very intriguing time to "hear a rumour".

helicopter-redeye
19th Mar 2005, 16:23
Must be on holiday overseas ...

VisaGeeza
19th Mar 2005, 17:31
Or woken from a nightmare!:ugh:

Thumpango
19th Mar 2005, 18:54
I am not sure that the two schools at Southampton are under notice to quit.

What I do know is that the costs of operating a flying school there have risen to the extent that its difficult for a school to stay in profit, and with all the extra traffic now from Flybe at EGHI it is also very expensive for the student! Time waiting at the hold, orbiting etc.

My original school Carill Aviation is re- locating to Lee-On-Solent at the end of this month. It has a good runway, is bit more exposed generally weatherwise and we will have to mix with glider traffic etc. The PPL club are looking forward to the move.

This morning I noticed that Southampton would have been flyable but Lee definitely would not - thick fog!! so we will just have to wait and see.

Chilli Monster
19th Mar 2005, 20:10
Does this mean Lee is going to become more accesible to GA?

jayemm
20th Mar 2005, 08:50
I tried to get PPR for Lee several times without success. Apparently, they only allow GA traffic with genuine connections with businesses on the airfield.

Then I asked someone with 'connections' and was told that Lee-on-Solent is to be closed and sold.

So to hear that a club is moving there is a surprise to me. If true, does this mean that we've got more chance of getting permission to fly in?

Genghis the Engineer
20th Mar 2005, 09:01
Lee has been "about to be closed and sold" for at least 12 years to my knowledge. So, I'd not hold your breath.

It is a shame however that the powers running it can't find routes to open it up to more general use, it's a fantastic and well placed facility which could take a lot more traffic without difficulty.

G

jayemm
20th Mar 2005, 10:21
I agree. It's a superb location that could attract GA big-time.

As I understand it, it's MOD owned (used to be HMS Daedalus) and the MOD want to dispose of most of the land. I was told via a reasonably reliable source that this is now imminent.

Look here (http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Daedalus/index.html) for Deadalus history.

If the story about the Carill Aviation and the PPL club moving there is true, I'll go back to my source and find out more.

Trislander
20th Mar 2005, 13:00
Actual Daily Echo news article about the above is here:

http://www.thisishampshire.net/hampshire/archive/2005/02/10/SOTON_NEWS_NEWS06ZM.html

:sad:

Thumpango
20th Mar 2005, 18:36
It's true alright! Carill made the decision a couple of months back. Both flying schools could keep going from Southampton, but could only keep their aircraft on the North Apron for short periods, which would make things a little difficult operationally!

I have flown into Lee and it is an excellent place! and should if possible be used more for GA.

I believe the police own the site? The police islander and coastguard rescue helicopter IJ are kept there, so security and access is strictly controlled.

Am hoping to find out more in the next week or so.

ramrise40
20th Mar 2005, 19:20
Monocock Redeye and Geeza: no, none of those things, just insomnia and chronic jet-lag!

Thanks for confirming the rumour that I heard. I find the situation at Eastleigh rather absurd, they have pretensions to be a major international airport but have the most rediculous taxyway arrangement in the country - jets have to enter and backtrack at both ends which of course seriously disrupts traffic flow. When will they build a full length parallel taxyway, and at the same time extend the apron so that the flying clubs and others have the space they need?

As for Lee on Solent, as far as I know it has been sold to the Coastguard (does that mean Bristow?), they and the Police Support Wing will stay, all others face eviction, but that's nothing new and a solution might be found. Carill can possibly base their aircraft there, but I don't think they'll be allowed to train at Lee, they'll probably have to position to one of the other South coast airfields.

What about re-opening Hamble - it's still not been built on, anyone know why?

poor southerner
21st Mar 2005, 07:44
ram

Actually Hamble has been build on, I live just up the road (till sat at least). The entire site is owned by the developer who has built a hundred or so houses on the south side. But wont's get planning for the whole site unitl there in a relief road for Hamble Lane, in 10-20 years. (there have already been some secret (ish) things done to make it possible).

As for Lee. I also hear from a MOD source it was to be sold. As the light hearted thinking about closing Yeov. and bringing harriers back was gone.

The police run it but don't own it.

It would make a nice GA field, but with the new houses to the East, it would'nt be long before complaints started flooing in.

All this could be avoided a few miles to the East on sunny Thorney Island. 3 runways, no housing (accept some to the north). Just dont leave your plane outside unless its plastic.:\

foxmoth
21st Mar 2005, 10:13
Now there would be a site for an Aviation community, house with the hangar on one side and the boat on a mooring the other side - a clubhouse looking out onto the water as well - if this were achievable it would be not far of heaven:cool:

greeners
21st Mar 2005, 16:16
Yes, I had heard that Carril will be carrying out touch-and-gos on the IofW as they obviously need a licenced field for PPL training. That's not going to help their costs at all, but good luck to them; they have some truly excellent CPL and FI instructors.

Thorney Island is a nice location, but they are already very active noise complainers even with no aircraft based there!

Trislander
21st Mar 2005, 18:24
I woulden't have thought it would take much to get 'Lee-on-the-Solent' licenced for flight training - all thats required is an inspection, a few signs and a small fire truck, perhaps an A/G unit.

Wha'dya reckon??

foxmoth
21st Mar 2005, 20:36
As technically still a goverment airfield I am not sure it even needs to be licenced.