PDA

View Full Version : TCAS for GA

Mariner9
18th Mar 2005, 16:22
Was idly surfing the net looking for some more toys to put into my panel, when I came across this TCAS unit (http://www.surecheck.net/avionics/micro.html)

I'm really in two minds about the usefulness of this device.

There is no bearing information for the threats it detects. There are no TCAS resolution advisories. If you suddenly spot an aircraft during a traffic alert, there's no guarantee that it's the one the unit is warning you about.

On the other hand, a traffic warning would certainly concentrate your mind on the lookout, and may lead you to spot something sooner than you would otherwise.

So would you go buy one?

IO540
18th Mar 2005, 16:35
Waste of money IMHO. The traffic could be just about anywhere.

Those that tell you the azimuth are a lot more expensive, and of not much use until transponders are made mandatory. Too many people fly around without transponders, or with them deliberately turned off.

I'd guess that TCAS would be more effective higher up, say 5000ft+, and certainly in CAS. But then you get a lot less traffic up there :O I know someone who paid £25k for his system and he reckons it's great for IFR flying around Europe.

chrisN
20th Mar 2005, 10:07
There is another make [Proxalert R5 Aircraft Proximity Alerter] shown at :

http://www.avshop.com/catalog/product.html?productid=6265

(sorry, I don't know how to do "here") for $799. That shows range and height but not bearing/azimuth of possible threats. I don't know why it needs the serial port, antenna and audio connections which it has on the back - looks like more to the installation than just velcro on the instrument cowl.

Some users have posted comments about it, e.g. "After flying with it several times in Chicago I can say that it shows a lot of false targets. I noticed that when I turned off my DME and transponder that it seemed to be more accurate. Having said this, I have also flown with it side by side with a trafficscope, and have found that the trafficscope does not get the false positives that the proxalert did."

And: "I recently purchased a ProxAlert R5, and I would like to thank AvShop for their excellent service and to congratulate the manufacturer on their very impressive design. I have now had a chance to install the R5 and fly several test missions, and I am glad to report that the ProxAlert offers outstanding performance in assisting me to spot traffic, especially while flying solo. For several years, I had been using a first-generation traffic spotter (Monroy 200), but the overall assistance was very limited due to false alarms, missing alerts, no squawk or altitude information, and so on. I really wanted a better method, but did not feel like spending the $10,000 or more for a Ryan. The sophisticated design of the ProxAlert provides all of the features I wanted at an affordable price. It seems to have excellent sensitivity, and the ability to track each alert by it's squawk code is a great advantage in developing a mental map of where the other aircraft in the area are located, especially while monitoring ATC. All in all, I find the R5 to be an outstanding addition to my cockpit."

(I have no connection with any of the above, other than an interest in the value of such things.)

Chris N.

UV
21st Mar 2005, 22:19
Tend to agree that "partial information" on other traffic is virtually useless.

I have to say that, in my experience, use of TCAS outside controlled airspace is a far more valuable tool than in a controlled and separted environment!

It is a shame that manufacturers have not marketed a "poor mans" TCAS, without all the fancy automatic look up/down modes, RA's etc., which would be a fantastic safety asset for GA, in uncontrolled airspace.

UV

Paul_Sengupta
27th Mar 2005, 18:02
We should be getting what the US are implementing, especially if Mode S transponders are being made mandatory. In the US they uplink the data from radar using the Mode S datalink. You can then display all the traffic in your area on an MFD. This assumes you're within radar coverage of some ground unit of course.

IO540
27th Mar 2005, 18:48
I think the FAA offered TIS as an incentive for people to adopt Mode S.

Here in Europe, no "incentives" are needed - we have centuries of history of doing as we are told :O

But practically, even when everybody has Mode S, only a miniscule percentage of GA planes will have a means of displaying traffic info. You'd need a multifunction display, a compatible panel-mounted GPS with a screen big enough to be usable, an EHSI. All expensive stuff.

stuartforrest
28th Mar 2005, 14:23
I have a Trafficscope VRX and it has been faulty almost since I got it and I have sent it back several times. Tested it again yesterday in poor vis and it told me of a plane only half a mile away and 300 feet above. No idea which direction of course. A few seconds later a plane appeared and it was about 200 feet above and about half a mile away I reckon. I turned away from it but it was pretty scary.

The device didnt help me find the plane but it did make me aware to look extra hard at that point. Having said that I have seen plenty of planes nearby with no alert as they dont always have their transponder on.

I wouldnt pay £800 for it as I did last year as it has barely been in my plane and also back at Surecheck. It will be going back again this week as it keeps having a transponder conflict it says.

If you want to buy one I know of a cheap one :)

SR20flyDoc
29th Mar 2005, 06:49
I bring you bad news.

Eurocontrol made Mode S mandatory but "forgot" to implement TIS Traffic Information Service Uplink....... :(

S.

Well, it's only 5000 euro for the transponder so who is complaining about Eurocontrol waisting our money....

MikeKnight
29th Mar 2005, 07:44
Well I think that a device that makes people look extra hard during reasonably critical situations can't be that bad, dispite its shortcomings. Well done that man who has the wherewithall to equip him/herself with said item.

slim_slag
29th Mar 2005, 12:34
Article on this subject in this month's AOPA Pilot. Indeed SR20flyDoc, it seems the FAA is working on the principle that people will happily pay to install Mode S if they can see an advantage of doing so i.e provision of services like TIS. TIS capable transponders available for US$3600, not too bad, and an easier pill to swallow if not legislated into putting it in.

Rod1
29th Mar 2005, 13:00
There are a lot of people working very hard on getting large quantities of the GA VFR fleet excepted from Mode S. If only some of the exceptions are confirmed, this will negate any advantage Mode S may have given to the rest.

Rod1

shortstripper
29th Mar 2005, 14:05
It would be far cheaper and probably just as effective, to simply wrap oneself in cotton wool :rolleyes:

SS