PDA

View Full Version : Stinson HW-75

Speedbird48
18th Mar 2005, 10:39
Do any of you UK experts happen to know, or can find out, the serial numbers of the two Stinson HW-75's in the UK? Please. I believe one of them is G-BCUM and I did a test flight on it a l-o-n-g time ago. I even owned one of them for a time.

The reason I ask is that these airpanes, plus another in Germany were purchased for the French at the begining of WW-2. Some history books state that they never got to Europe but were dumped on the dock in Martinique by the aircraft carrier 'Bern' and others say that they stayed in Canada as they were to be shipped from Halifax. So there are some corrections to be made.

Anyway, another one has surfaced in Nova Scotia in a barn and was last seen on its way, by truck, to Gander, Nfld., for rebuild. So at least one of them stayed in Canada.

Maybe the Spotters can help so feel free to transfer this the their site?

SPEEDBIRD 48.

skydriller
18th Mar 2005, 11:12
Hi,

I guess you have triedGINFO (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=60&pagetype=65&applicationid=1) , the CAA reg. Site?

Try the international Stinson club at http://www.aeromar.com/swsc.html

Regards, SD

treadigraph
18th Mar 2005, 12:35
G-BCUM/G-BMSA - 7040
G-AFYO - 7039

'FYO is ex French, can't tell about 'MSA.

I recall G-BCUM on a trailer parked in a driveway near my home about 30 years ago. Think it had turned over or been blown over. Nice to see it's still going strong.

Squadgy
18th Mar 2005, 15:16
GBCUM is now GBMSA and is based at Barton where it flys fairly regulary.

Photo here :

http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules/ginfo/ginfo_photo.aspx?regmark=G-BMSA&imgname=G-BMSA001&imgtype=JPG (www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules/ginfo/ginfo_photo.aspx?regmark=G-BMSA&imgname=G-BMSA001&imgtype=JPG)

Speedbird48
18th Mar 2005, 16:17
Thanks Guys,

I knew you were good but I forgot how fast!! Here is the rest of the story!!

G-BCUM was imported, from France, by a guy at Shoreham and sold to the ??Famous Bend'em O'Brien who put it on its back in the scottish islands. He lived in Purley hence the appearance of it outside his house.

He obtained the second one from the same scource in Paris and after -BCUM was repaired I obtained the rest of the parts and registered it with an unused period registration that was to be used by a BOAC Liberator, but not taken up, G-AFYO.

I also did the test flight, on -BCUM, after the repairs, with Peter Elliott, since deceased. On the flight we were required to go to VNE, which I believe is 126?? Anyway the dive started fine with the usual slow increase in speed and just as we reached the magic number there was a monumental BANG!! Two very shaky aviators arrived back on Cobby's ramp at Biggin to be met by the local lad, Gary, asking what was wrong with these two not very brave aviators?

We explained about the bang and he just looked up and said you did a wonderful job on that fuel tank! The tank had been converted from one side to the other to give two tanks and in the welding process the top had dished in and our heros had pulled it out when the center of pressure moved aft and lifted it out!! The Stinson has no cover over the tank as it makes up part of the top of the wing.

Anyway thanks to all and I will now see where the serials match up with the newly discovered one in Canada.

Speedbird 48.

treadigraph
18th Mar 2005, 16:25
Cheers Speedbird, nice to get the story! Ahhhh, Cobby's treasure trove, but that's a tale for the AH&N forum!