PDA

View Full Version : Phraseology

Port Strobe
17th Mar 2005, 21:18
Could somebody please inform me of the difference between the phrases "break" and "break break"? (The first person that says break get their coat! :ok: ) From page 28 of CAP413 it indicates "break break" is used to split up messages in a single transmission to multiple stations. That's straight forward enough. It defines the use of "break" as a separator between messages. I've never heard this used to split up messages to a single station and can't think why you would need to use that phrase whilst transmitting to a single station, would sound confusing to me. So if "break" and "break break" are to be used to divide messages to multiple stations then what is their distinction? I've tried searching but I got 347 pages of results!

Thanks for your time.

spekesoftly
17th Mar 2005, 22:13
In practice, I suggest it's a matter of emphasis. Whereas 'Break' might be used to indicate a brief pause in transmission, "Break Break" is used to indicate that the following (usually) more urgent transmission is addressed to another aircraft - (listen up guys, I'm not going to pause, and I'm now addressing another call-sign).

CAP 493 also requires Controllers to exercise caution before using the term "BREAK BREAK" when military aircraft in formation are operating on the frequency, as this phrase can represent an instruction to immediately disperse the formation!

Lock n' Load
17th Mar 2005, 23:36
You get the same dispersal of formation by issuing a simple....
"Red Arrows, cleared to land"

:}

Port Strobe
18th Mar 2005, 09:08
Thanks for the replies

RAC/OPS
18th Mar 2005, 12:12
Break break as you say to address another station without pausing for breath or giving the first an opportunity to reply, usually where the second message is a bit urgent.

Break is used to signify a long message, which hasn't been completed, is being interrupted so as to give another station a chance to say something etc, ie you aren't clogging up the freq for ages in a single transmission.

Dances with Boffins
18th Mar 2005, 13:46
Break - I am now drinking coffee.

Break Break - I have now ceased drinking coffee and have returned to work

Aw c'mon. It's Friday.....:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Mar 2005, 15:43
Can someone please tell me in which publication the term "break, break" appears as authorised phraseology?

Heavy Wake
18th Mar 2005, 16:01
CAP 413, Chapter 2, Section 6 'Standard Words and Phrases'
Sub-section 6.1
Table 7 - 'Break Break' ; "Indicates the separation between messages transmitted to different aircraft in a busy environment"

squibbler
18th Mar 2005, 16:06
CAP 493 Appendix E P4 2.6

BREAK BREAK - Indicates the separation between messages transmitted to different aircraft in a very busy environment

Controllers should exercise caution before using the term 'BREAK BREAK' when military aircraft in formation are operating on the frequency, as this phrase can represent an instruction to immediately disperse the formation.

Never used it, nor heard anyone else using it. I find a 1/2 second pause in the transmission then a loud and deep General Melchett style BREAK usally works. :)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Mar 2005, 16:15
Amazing - never knew that. Thanks.

Loki
18th Mar 2005, 19:41
Have never used "break, break"

Have been on one or two double breaks, if that helps.

Heavy Wake
19th Mar 2005, 14:03
Have heard 'Break Break' lots whilst flying in South Africa, particularly when flying outside the Jo'burg TMA and in contact with Jo'burg Information.
Absolute mayhem on there sometimes!
Lots of double transmissions too!!

Stunty
20th Mar 2005, 02:56
I occasionally use "break break" in the tower (canada) . The way I tend to apply it is:

1. I will use BREAK if I expect no further reply from the pilot. For example someone says they have their traffic in sight - I respond with "ABC roger, Break, DEF cleared to land" because I dont want someone grabbing that piece of airtime with a long winded call when I need it to clear DEF to land.

2. I use BREAK BREAK if I expect a pilot to reply, but I just dont have time to hear it right now. Eg "ABC traffic 10oclock 2 miles report in sight, BREAK BREAK, DEF cleared to land" In this case after DEF replies I would leave airtime for ABC to acknowledge the traffic call.

This method seems to work well in my experience.

catocontrol
9th Aug 2005, 02:19
Break is used to talk to different a/c in a formation
e.g
"Lion12 roger, break, lion13 turn right heading..."

Break break is used when you need to talk to another a/c.

e.g
"Lion 13 turn right heading 140...break break Scandinavian 1200 runway 17, cleared to land"

Lon More
9th Aug 2005, 10:11
I think break was used back in the old days of GCA, used to identify a break in the transmission if the pilot wished to talk to the GCA controller

Lon More
Here since Pontius was a Pilot and Mortus a Rigger

Pierre Argh
10th Aug 2005, 14:16
"Break" takes approx 0.3secs to say... "Break - Break" therefore 0.6secs... about the same time, I suggest, as taking a pause, and then leaping back in with an emphasis on the callsign of the next unit you wish to address.

IMHO it is irrelevant (and as mentioned somewhere above, likely to disperse military formations unexpectedly... not always a good idea unless you want to find out what high workload really is?)

Arkady
10th Aug 2005, 16:22
On a really busy Freq. "Break" or "Break Break" prevents someone else calling. Very useful sometimes. Pause just for a micro second and somebody will give you their life story just when you didn't need it.