PDA

View Full Version : Meeting the pilots.

NT42
17th Mar 2005, 19:18
Hello all,

Firstly, I'm very sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I'm 17, currently doing my PPL with the intention of becoming a commercial pilot after school. In August, I'm flying to Margarita with my parents, with First Choice. I was basically wondering if there is any chance of talking with the pilots on the day. I was hoping to have a small chat with them perhaps gaining a little adivce.

I obviously know there are very tight security measures, and its unlikely that I will get a chance to speak to them. I was thinking about writing a small note and handing it to them whilst boarding, to ask them directly rather than simply asking the cabin crew during the flight? Or I could even write to First Choice well in advance, if that would help?

Either way, thanks very much!

John.

eoincarey
17th Mar 2005, 19:47
Sounds like a pretty good idea.
Cant give you a definite answer as im not an airline pilot (yet) but after all, they are human, and everyone in this industry is usually happy to give out advice. Go for it (and enjoy your holiday, lucky sod!).
By the way, i guess im at you're stage too. 18yrs old, just passed my ppl, and starting the long slippery path to the flight deck!!

Eoin

Rainboe
17th Mar 2005, 20:02
Good luck chaps. Always remember someone has to do it, so why not you? It will be hard on the way, there is a tremendous amount to work to do and it will take a lot of cost and dedication, but almost every pilot will tell you it was worth it.

Rather than a scribbled note, take care and write a nice one or two page letter to the pilots saying what you'd like to do and how very much you would like to visit the flight deck, and would it be possible for them to give you a little time after landing to come and see? The cabin crew will pass it up, and it will strike a chord with them- remember they were once in your position. Unless you have a big delay, most unlikely for time before take -off, and visits banned during flight. They may give you 5 minutes after shutdown.

bafanguy
17th Mar 2005, 23:02
The flight crew is always glad to talk with an aspiring aviator if they have the time...before or after the flight. They may be busy before or have to dash to another flight after. Just let a F/A know you want to drop by the cockpit and that should set it up for you. If it doesn't work out, it won't be because the crew didn't want to but because circumstances got in the way.

Keep trying.

Dualbleed
17th Mar 2005, 23:39
No problem for me, you'd be more than welcome. After landing would be the best time to come to the cockpit. Just ask the cabin and be the last one leaving the plane. Could be difficult if there is a bus waiting and you are at remote parking. :D

NT42
18th Mar 2005, 08:37
Hello again,

Thanks all, its nice to know pilots are still willing to offer their time for people like me! I guess the main thing getting in my way will be time!

Anyway, thanks very much everybody, hopefully see you soon!

John Foreman.

JackOffallTrades
18th Mar 2005, 11:19
Do any professional pilots fly from the club where you do your PPL flying?

If you don`t know of any go ask the club secretary. If you meet them over a coffee/bacon sandwich you will have more time than would be available after a flight.

If you cant find any go to EGLM (White Waltham), plenty hang out there.

NT42
18th Mar 2005, 12:20
Hi,

There are a lot of commercial pilots where I'm doing my PPL - EGNT. I don't know if you've read whats been happening at Newcastle, but my PPL training has stopped. Now that the clubs sorted, I hope to get back flying, however, my parents seem very reluctant to pay for my training - a major problem. Before this trouble at the club, my parents were very close to funding all my training (excluding landing fees), but now they don't seem willing to go for it. I'm in the process of negotiations with them at the moment.

Anyway, enough about my life story - the bar where pilots from up North would hang out (both GA and commercial) became very quiet, and when I was there no airline crew at all seemed to be there. Hopefully, with the opening of the Wings bar, they will be attracted to spend a little time in such places, chatting to people like me.

I'm also planning on having a work experience at EGNT, with an airline which will also give me the chance to talk with some pilots.

Cheers,

John

Blinkz
18th Mar 2005, 12:48
I'm in a similair position, have nearly finished my PPL and am about to start the commercial training. I flew down to Manchester from Edinburgh on monday night and when we arrived I asked the stewardess if I could quickly visit the flight deck and was told that it is against the rules, I said that I thought that was just during flight and she said nope your not allowed in at all :ouch:

Rainboe
18th Mar 2005, 13:33
That is the stewardess "my head aches today, this child is asking for the FD visit and I couldn't be bothered- I would have to take him there and wait for Goodness sake!- I really couldn't be fagged!"

She is wrong.

JackOffallTrades
18th Mar 2005, 23:22
Shame on her!

I wonder how many stewardesses understand what it takes to become a pilot (apart from the ones funding their ATPLs by working the cabin!). If she realised the dedication people put in to this game surely she would have made an effort to sort out 5 mins after landing?

jwforeman have you considered collaring a pilot in the terminal and asking them for a couple of minutes of their time?

Alternatively keep posting/starting threads on here till you get the info you need.:ok:

BAe 146-100
19th Mar 2005, 17:20
On my last few flights HLX/easy/BA, I have managed to get a flightdeck visit after landing. Make sure though that you ask after the flight, if you ask in-flight some cabin crew get the impression that you want a flightdeck visit in-flight, which is not allowed on most airlines.

That letter sounds like a good idea.

Good Luck! :D

BAe 146