PDA

View Full Version : Jura airfield??

Bluebeard777
17th Mar 2005, 18:04
The Scottish chart shows an airfield on the island of Jura, which I have flown past a couple of times.

No details are given in the usual sources, does anyone have contact or other info?

helicopter-redeye
17th Mar 2005, 18:16
Its a very small grass strip right on the beach. No facilities and quite short.

I've never landed there but have passed it low level many times. I have one friend who has landed there.

It gets quite busy for the annual Bens of Jura Fell Race in the late spring, quickest way of getting there of course.

h-r

aerobatic_dude
17th Mar 2005, 20:21
Guy's does anyone know exactly what the strip is like in regards to length , Approaches and surface ?

Regards,

NorthSouth
17th Mar 2005, 23:18
Like redeye I have flown over it a couple of times and have talked to people who've used it. It's 09/27, probably less than 450m (exact length not known), surface not brilliant, not regularly maintained, and it has a rutted track running across it towards its eastern end (the access road to the house by the beach which is immediately south of the strip). Curved approach from the south required if you're using 09.

Not for the faint-hearted or the spamcan-mounted. I'd say it's Super Cub/Maule territory.

Don't have a phone number to hand but if I remember correctly you want to speak to the factor of the Isle of Jura Estate (should be in the book)

NS

PS Redeye they're Paps not Bens, and I presume the "busy in spring" is with helicopters not REAL aeroplanes? ;)

'India-Mike
18th Mar 2005, 08:12
It's a year since I've been to the strip (surface transport!) and NS's description is accurate. I paced it from the rut at the Eastern end, to the house and trees at the Western end at 357 steps (say metres). Given the house and trees I'd say that's TODA rather than TORA. Taking off to the East I wouldn't like to hit the aforementioned rut - it's broad and rough.

I thought the surface was pretty good for April - firm (sand/soil/grass) and broad, and largely free of rabbit holes. Having said that, I don't think I'd venture in there in a nosewheel aeroplane. I'm sort of tempted now I've access to a Chipmunk, but I'd class the strip as a challenge and intolerant of poor technique on the part of the pilot.

Fly to Islay, get the bus to Port Askaig and the ferry to Feolin on Jura. Then get a lift to Craighouse and walk half an hour to the strip and check it out. If you're happy, go back to Islay and get your aeroplane!

helicopter-redeye
18th Mar 2005, 18:35
Basically its 90degrees to the coast line and quite rough (Rougher than Cromer if that helps).

If I see my buddy who has landed there (PA38 if I recall) next week I'll ask him.(If it comes to that for recce purposes, remind me next time I go to Oban, which will be soon, to stop off there and walk the runway..)

h-r

Wee Dobber
22nd Mar 2005, 10:20
Photographs of Jura Airfield: From the Air (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/386431/L) From the Ground (http://myaviation.net/?pid=00019898)

NorthSouth
22nd Mar 2005, 10:53
my buddy who has landed there (PA38 if I recall)I find that extremely hard to believe.

helicopter-redeye
22nd Mar 2005, 11:59
Which bit?

1. The landing

2. or my failing memory of the type (I only fly rotary and fixed wing types are a mystery to me...)

I'll ask him when I see him

h-r

NorthSouth
22nd Mar 2005, 15:32
that anyone would attempt to take a PA-38 into a strip like Jura

NS

Sensible
22nd Mar 2005, 16:22
I'd do it in a Super Cub or Citabria but a PA38 errrr no thanks!

Bluebeard777
22nd Mar 2005, 17:46
Unless that cottage in the background is a distillery, it looks like my search for the perfect whisky will just have to take me to Islay instead ........

Pilgrim101
23rd Mar 2005, 06:01
Bluebeard

Islay - Laphroaig then ! I concur !!!! Remember, 8 hours to throttle a bottle :p

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Mar 2005, 07:07
The surface winds you can get in the Hebrides, VTOL is not entirely impossible in a PA38, let alone a reasonably short field.

Happy to agree that it was unlikely to happen on a still day, but those are fairly rare in the Western Isles.

G

Caledonian
23rd Mar 2005, 19:23
The Loganair BN2 Islander is in and out of there quite a lot

helicopter-redeye
23rd Mar 2005, 20:06
I only said I THOUGHT it was a PA38 (I'll ask him when I see him)

(In fact I'll email him just to avaoid more of a bashin)

h-r:ouch:

helicopter-redeye
25th Mar 2005, 07:42
Here is the email reply

I actually flew into Islay next door - you can catch a taxi to the ferry and get lift the other side. However, if as I suspect you want to go up in your Robinson, then there are 3 options - Islay, the airstrip on Jura itself - N end of Bay above the town, 400m grass next to the beach - E-W direction OR you could try ringing the Jura Hotel and see if there is a flat area near them - the front lawn will be full of tents!

I'll do a 'rotary recce' next time I'm passing (April) and report on the state of the 'runway'

NorthSouth
26th Mar 2005, 17:20
Phew, I can stop taking the pills now

NS

'India-Mike
26th Mar 2005, 20:01
I'm going to Jura in 10 days time. I'll take photos and post them. I'll pace the strip again.

As a local pilot and PA38 owner I'm horrified at the thought of a poor old Tommy going in there. Then again, there are a number of spares that I'm looking for....

helicopter-redeye
27th Mar 2005, 11:57
PS Redeye they're Paps not Bens, and I presume the "busy in spring" is with helicopters not REAL aeroplanes?

Actually NS, wrong on both counts I'm afraid.

It is the Bens of Jura Fell Race (even though they are the Paps of Jura and it's now called the Isle of Jura Fell Race) and the 'busy' bit was refering to the number of tents at the hotel down the road for this august event and the numbers of runners in the hills. The reason for the name is of course because it runs over more than 'just' the Paps.

"Historically this support for races is not however restricted to the Peak District. Back in 1983 Donald Booth of Dark Peak was responsible for revitalising the then Bens of Jura Fell race. Although it was originally run in the early 1970’s for four years it wasn’t until Don’s involvement, with the added support of the Isle of Jura distillery that the race become truly established on the calendar. Support for the now renamed Isle of Jura Fell Race continues to this day. Although Don is no longer involved in the organisation on many occasions club members have often exceeded twenty runners with many returning every year. Probably Dark Peak’s finest achievement was in 1985 when the race was won by one of our top runners of the day, the late Ray Aucott in a time of 3.18.36. For this achievement Ray took home 2.5 gallons of whisky for first place, first vet and first team. Not bad for someone who didn’t even drink whisky." (from "25 Years on the Bog - A History of Dark Peak Fell Runners")

For some reason the Race is not in the calendar this year. (Organiser too drunk perhaps?) but is on 28th May so watch out for it being busy.

;) Two and a Half Gallons. You only get 450ml for a complete Black Bottle Round ...

PPRuNe Radar
27th Mar 2005, 12:38
they're Paps not Bens

Actually, you're right, they're not Bens but Beinns ;)

Beinn Shiantaidh (Holy Mountain)

Beinn an Oir (Mountain of Gold)

Beinn a'Chaolais (Mountain of the Sound)

:ok:

Bluebeard777
27th Mar 2005, 15:47
India-Mike, I would appreciate you reporting the runway length (from the ditch/road referred to above). Also the surface condition, how likely is my tailwheel to disappear into a rabbit hole?, or my spats to be grinding over loose stones?
It's the small stuff you can't see in a low pass that can cause trouble........

The approaches look OK in the photos.

'India-Mike
27th Mar 2005, 21:07
Bluebeard777

Wilco - watch this space!

helicopter-redeye
31st Mar 2005, 19:14
The definitive answer for PPR is Tarbut Estates (01496 820 207) for clearance in advance.

Generally OK if nothing on the strip.

No landing fee.

The Jura Hotel (820243) have no responsibility for controlling the strip but can advise if you can't reach the Estate.

h-r

NB the date below is NOT relevant

'India-Mike
11th Apr 2005, 22:20
BB777

Just back from week on Islay - unable to make trip to Jura due high winds that resulted in ferry not running for 2 and a half days!
Even took my GPS this time as well....

Hope to be back over within next month to climb a Pap....will have another go then.

Sorry...