PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS96C or PDA?

Aerodynamik
17th Mar 2005, 14:56
I am torn between buying a GPS96C or a PDA GPS. Can any one give me any pros or cons? I would like, if possible, to also add OS mapping as well as aviation mapping. Can this be added to either?
TIA
Steve

Rans Flyer
17th Mar 2005, 19:48
I’ve got both, the PC being a XDAII with memory map navigator, and a Fortuna GPSmart Bluetooth GPS.

In the Air:

For simply knowing where I am on a map the pocket pc with Memory map is superb, I use the (CAA 250 scale map). EVERYTHING else is done on the 96c.

The fundamentally thing is the map in the pocket pc is just a scanned image of the real map with your position and pre-defined waypoints added, the pocket pc does not ’know’ what’s on the map and will quite happily let you fly in to Heathrow at 500ft without a bleep.

The 96c will let you know when you about to enter a restricted area, you have nearest (airport. etc, functionality), glide ratios, circuit maps, extended runways, fuel timer …. Every thing you come to expect from a dedicated aviation GPS.

I plan my routes using memory map on the pc, as it’s easy to view the real CAA map on a large screen, then trying to set up a series of waypoints and routes on either unit. I then transfer them directly out of memory map to the Garmin.

Once back on the ground I transfer my tracks to memory map.

In the Car:

The 96C doesn’t come supplied with all of the road information, only motorways and A roads.
To use the 96c you will need to purchase Map Source City Select software this will set you back another couple of hundred quid as the software is only supplied as a car kit (this includes a cigarette adapter, just like the one the unit came with, and a dashboard mount (again already supplied with the standard unit.. thanks Garmin).
When you have it, it’s functionality and route choice is best described as adequate.

On the other hand TomTom navigator 3 for the pocket pc is probably the best in car sat-nav money can buy, every feature you could ever want (mine even gives me warnings for Gatos cameras).

So I use the Pc in the car, and the 96C in the Air (with the PC as a quick reference moving map).

Les

picky
17th Mar 2005, 22:34
I use a Pocket PC wired up to an old Garmin GPS. The software I use is PocketFMS which is freeware and can be downloaded from http://www.pocketfms.com. It has many features including moving map (with airspace warnings), flight planner and wind calculator.

I usually power the PocketPC via the cigar lighter although I've heard reports recently that say I shouldn't be doing that. Can anyone shed any light on that?

KCDW
18th Mar 2005, 16:13
Question for Rans or anyone else with Memory map.

The website is a little confusing. What are the necessary items to purchase, assuming you already have a PDA and a GPS receiver?

Obviously the CAA map (£49.95), but what software? It all seems to be bundled with some OS map or other, so, if you don't want the OS maps, then do you just buy the cheapest (a single Landranger map for £39.95).

Therefore minimum purchase is: about £90.

Have I got this right?

Thanks

KC

Colonial Aviator
18th Mar 2005, 21:31
I'm looking into a new ique 3600a PDA and GPS all in one, a Garmin unit so no CAA charting for it but seems to tick all the boxes.

noblues
15th Jul 2005, 10:12
I've had my Garmin 96C for a few days now, it replaces a stolen Pilot III ....

I looked at the PDA devices before purchasing the 96C, but PDA's tend to be jack off all trades and master of none ..

I am truly amazed at the 96C's performance ...... along with the Garmins always very intuitive operating system (the Nokia of GPS sets!), its design to be pilot usable for pilots ...

My +Ves on the Garmin 96C :-

1) Very clear easy to read 2.5" colour screen. Aispace and ground features stand out very clearly.

2) Amazing battery life from 2xAA pen cells, 25-40hrs quoted. Many system have dedicated recharagble packs with limited life, with the 96C just carry 2xAA batterys in your headset in case ...

3) Usability ... HSI display is very clear; nearest and direct to key in two presses to waypoints/airfields;VOR's etc ..

4) Full airfield databsae with freq's runway data and diagrams ... will draw extend centre lines with arc lines miles out for homing ..

5) VNAV feature coupled to the clear HSI screen for 'let downs'.

6) Light and portable; perfect for leaving in case/flight bag for that comfort factor in case viz drops or find yourself in IMC or VFR on top ...

7) Comes with yoke mount and worldwide waypoint manager software for creating and playing back tracks (with alt and airspeed).

8) All round very easy menu system .... quick scrolling of map and re-drawing (some slight lag if all ground features shown).

-Ve's

1) Screen could be bigger, but this is a pocket GPS running for hours on 2xAA cells ...

2) Unlike the Garmin 296 you can't overlay the HSI info on top of the map (although can display a small HSI and half map in split screen but hard to read ...).

3) Navbox Pro flight planning software currently does not support this set (they are working on it !).

4) Cant rotate the screen to landscape mode.

This is a great portable set, I can't recommend it enough ... the perfect all rounder GPS ....

PS:
I also have the Auto Software (another £150) which gives road directions car routing street by street, direct to house numbers .... like the TomTom type sets ... very neat !
Two button presses to switch the database/map from Aviation to Automotive ..

stuartforrest
16th Jul 2005, 08:17
I spoke to Memory Map and you do indeed need just one land ranger pack and then the CAA data. This is not what a aviation supplies shop told me at PFA Rally. They said you need all the UK Landranger and then all the UK CAA.

I was considering this for flying with but may buy a 296 instead.

In fact I have been considering all options including ones that could run on a tablet pc and thanks to Bose-X I managed to decide against one of them. Cheers for your help if you read this.

Whopity
17th Jul 2005, 08:10
The Memory Map site is a little difficult to understand. You can download the program from here: http://www.memory-map.co.uk/downloads.htm
this gives you a short trial period for free; thereafter you pay a licence fee and it will run any of the map software you purchase from them. It is very good for use with the OS maps and scanned maps, if you learn how to calibrate them (using European Version of programme).

PDA gives you option of trying different software packages however; its probably not the easiest thing to use in an aircraft both operationally and from a physical perspective. The weakest point is the need for a plug and socket connection at the base of the PDA for power. This is usually flimsy, liable to damage and expensive to repair when it does happen.

noblues
17th Jul 2005, 10:09
I've yet to see any PDA GPS for aviation that compares to Garmin's functionality,

Although the PDA displays look good, especially with rasterized 1/2mill map's, their use when '**** hits the fan' scenario in low viz or IMC are very limited for accurate navigation and lack features like 'nearest airport's' and HSI display and let down to a waypoint/fix etc ...

Plus the battery time on PDA's is an issue ...

The Garmin's with Jeppesen database are truly functional ... I suggest anyone buying a PDA GPS to look beyond the initial screen ...

Paul D.
17th Jul 2005, 10:28
"I'm looking into a new ique 3600a PDA and GPS all in one, a Garmin unit so no CAA charting for it but seems to tick all the boxes."

My mate and I have just ordered a Garmin iQue 3600a. We looked at it and others for a good while before taking the plunge. It does seem to tick all the boxes.

Paul.

noblues
17th Jul 2005, 11:12
Paul D - The ique 3600's are nice sets and as you say tick all the boxes, ie. PDA screen with Garmin/Jeppesen features ....

A friend has one and their is a known problem that Garmin have failed to address of them locking up, it happens too frequently. My friend has eventually got a beta software upgrade from Garmin who initially refused to accept responsibility (saying it was Palm's hardware!) .... make sure you upgrade the software if you get this problem .... (even mag reviews have had the same problem ... Garmin have been very slow at accepting fault).

My only other critique of the 3600 is the very poor battery life (an hour is good) and only runs on its dedicated pack.
You must have a cigar lighter socket tin he a/c to source power from if you intend to use it for for a whole flight .....

Otherwise a very neat and powerful box of tricks !

Paul D.
17th Jul 2005, 16:54
Thanks for the heads up noblues. We'll see how it performs, but it's useful to have that info so we can go for the beta upgrade. They say 3 hours minimum, so the 1 hour is quite an eye opener. Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read these days.

Thanks again.

Paul.

MikeJeff
18th Jul 2005, 12:02
Rans Flyer,

Interestingly (or not!) lol TomTom's Road Network data and CitySelect's are both supplied by Navtech.. In fact it's identical data and 90% of Sat Nav solutions use it!

In terms of the value added to that data (ie Where's the nearest brothel and Kebab shop) I can't comment on the TomTom data, but Garmin's offering is good enough for me at least!

Rans Flyer
18th Jul 2005, 13:07
MikeJeff,

The road data may be the same, but I prefer to use the 3D view and spoken directions of Tom-Tom. The updateable Gatos camera warning can also come in handy ;-) when driving.

Both units are superb, but are primary aimed at different markets.

By the way, I’ve now got rid of the XDA and have replaced it with a dedicated pocket pc with inbuilt GPS receiver running memory map.
The Mio168 (around £200 with car kit) has superb battery life, and a very clean and bright display.

I took it to the airfield last week and the resident CFI was so impressed he brought one from the web that evening.

MikeJeff
18th Jul 2005, 13:10
Yes the 3D on the 96C is a little lacking if you ask me! When I purchased mine I could justify buying two units, so the Aviation 96C (76C is the road equivolent) with the CitySelect 7 data (£150 on Ebay and comletely legit!) was a good solution for me.

As an aviation GPS I love it. Couple of bugs I've notice, but they are flagged as fixed in the firmware patch, which I haven't got round to doing yet.

Tim_CPL
18th Jul 2005, 19:33
Also you might want to checkout the Lowrance Airmap. I have had both the 96C and Airmap-1000. The airmap easily once on value, display and features. Still have the 1000, and very happy.

- Tim

noblues
19th Jul 2005, 08:00
MikeJeff - Its worth upgrading the firmware, their is a Beta version available from Garmin for the 96C - I noticed a few bugs fixed and general improvment of some areas after upgrading ...

I don't think the Garmin 3D road mode is that bad, atlhough I have to agree TomTom is the Rolls Royce of dedicated auto GPS units ... but the 96C is a good compromise ....

I've found the 96C auto search criteria very weak - ie. no postcode search; and only able to enter street names in the address search menu, type in ie. High Street and won't find my own town's ! Why can't garmin allow a narrow search band for address's to enter the city/town then the street name ?

TimCPL - Yeah, the Airmaps look very impressive, the 2000C colour with 5" screen appeals, although it compares more with the Garmin 296's end of the market ....