PDA

View Full Version : Airbus MFF?

oceancrosser
17th Mar 2005, 12:42
I am presently doing a study into the viability of MFF in general in airline operations. I know the "possibility" of MFF is much touted by Airbus as a selling point as is CCQ. However I suspect there are not many operators actually practising MFF between 320 series and 330/340 series for various reasons, seniority etc.

I would appreciate feedback from pilots with airlines that have multiple Airbus types as to how their companies do it and also from pilots with airlines that fly different Boeing types (apart from 757/767).

You can send me a pm if you do not want to post a reply here.

Thanks.

JackOffallTrades
17th Mar 2005, 16:31
As far as I know very few airlines have approval to run reduced conversion courses in europe at the moment (I think this is what you are refering to). The equivalent Boeing-Boeing shortened transition course (STAR) is the boeing version of CCQ. Which you`re probably aware of.

In order for an operator to run the Boeing STAR course they must have AQP approval (Advanced Qualification Programme). Most major airlines in the USA have this stamp from the FAA. The closest we have to AQP in europe is a new JAR reg that has come in allowing operators to excercise ATQP schemes (Alternative Training Qualification Programme). I spent some time investigating this for BA.

Till ATQP is implemented in the European airlines I don`t think we will be permitted to run CCQ/STAR type courses. Though this is not the primary reason for implementing ATQP.

Incidentally we investigated the content of the Boeing STAR course and found that the content was reduced in areas we would not consider reducing training. For example 767-777 training was reduced in areas such as RTOs and EFATOs because of similarity. Using ATQP principles we should not be cutting down on these items, but INCREASING the amount of training on them in favour of reduced cockpit set-up/other mundane drills in the sim. Thus making the sim time more productive.

I doubt BA will ever endorse CCQ (or STAR) for these reasons, however I do think it would be in their interest to seek ATQP approval.

Hope that helps.

oceancrosser
17th Mar 2005, 19:45
Thanks Jackoffalltrades, appreciate the input!

o/c

El lute
17th Mar 2005, 22:34
Oceancrosser,
Here is a list of airlines using MFF. It's probably not the latest, but at least 2003 status.
MFF A320/A330
Skyservice,
Swiss
MyTravel
Monarch
Austrian
edelweiss
LTU
AIRLUXOR
IBERWORLD
Thomas Cook
MFF A320/A340
Austrian
air Jamaica
Air Mauritius
MFF A330/A340
Cathay Pacific
Philippine Airlines
Austrian
SriLankan
Air Canada
Air France
SAS
Lufthansa
plus one undisclosed
These were taken from www.airbus.com. If you do a search for MFF under airbus4you it will give you one article at the end of which is a link to a FAST (an Airbus magazine) article dealing with MFF. This includes the airlines mentioned above.