PDA

View Full Version : Strange goings-on on Ebay

Big Hilly
17th Mar 2005, 12:28
There's a chap selling a 152 for a 'Mate' here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2979&item=5564947047&rd=1).

Won't say what reg it is or where the a/c is based for "Security Reasons" and the owner "doesn't want tyre-kickers coming along" - Have a look at the questions from buyers - Now, is it me or does something seem a bit strange?

BH

Whirlybird
17th Mar 2005, 13:12
I agree - most odd. Registration not on photo, and can't be used; old registration which seller says can be used traced to a PA28; now seller says he mis-typed old reg, but can't change it on Ebay description, which is untrue; won't let anyone see aircraft unless they email him a bid, which anyone can do, but he says the bid won't be legally binding if you don't want the aircraft.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

It's not just a bit strange; it's totally bloody weird!!!!!!!

Genghis the Engineer
17th Mar 2005, 13:13
yesssssss

It states that it can be returned to it's original identity of "BTIH", except that G-BTIH was a PA28 that was de-registered 5 years ago, not an F152.

There is however a deregistered F152 G-BITH, which is now G-TFSA; that is consistent with the date of manufacture and hours claimed in the advert. According to G-INFO belongs to a fellow at Sandbach, which wouldn't be far from the sellers address shown on eBay.

Sounds more like stupidity than conspiracy to me. What the heck is wrong with AFORS?

G

KCDW
17th Mar 2005, 14:14
Well... maybe not that stupid. The bids are rocketing up - £22,400 at last look (only £14k an hour ago). You can get a c152 on the open market for that - and that's after looking it over good and proper.

The strangest things happen on ebay, Last year, I went looking for a Garmin Pilot 3 on ebay, and couldn't get a sniff of one for under £250 - that's nearly the new price. I stuck to my guns (top limit of £200), and eventually got there in the end (£200.01 :)).

I guess some people just get bid fever.

Having just looked at the site closer, I think the seller may have some bad news, the latest bidder ("baddebtor" no less) has got some pretty bad feedback. Curioser and curiouser...

Big Hilly
17th Mar 2005, 15:14
Looks like baddebtor's bid's been bumped! It's back down to £20,100

Genghis, looks like you are spot on, as usual. A little googling, brought up this picture (http://www.fsplanet.com/images4/g-tfsap.jpg).

BH

KCDW
17th Mar 2005, 15:28
So someone did a paint job in Microsoft Flight Simulator of their beloved G-TFSA :ok:

The PPRuNe sleuths are working overtime :)

Big Hilly
17th Mar 2005, 16:20
KC,

Proon sleuths are indeed on overtime. . . And here's an odd turn of events.

The photo of the interior (here (http://www.trinityroadchapel.org/Trusthorpe%20039.jpg)) appears to be hosted by Trinity Road Chapel (http://www.trinityroadchapel.org/) in South London, who, according to their website are: an all-age multi-cultural group of people who meet week by week to encourage each other to be faithful followers of Jesus - the Jesus of the Bible. Not surprisingly, there's no mention on their website of them flogging second hand Cessna's :confused: ;)

BH

wet wet wet
17th Mar 2005, 16:23
Have a look here (http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00127290)
Ex the now defunct Truro Aero Club.

The colour scheme suggests that it was with Tayside Aviaition before that.

Perhaps the tyre kickers should head to Derby.

englishal
17th Mar 2005, 16:56
Well done supersleuths, now maybe someone should ask the question on eBay.....

Mind you, I don't blame the guy for being a bit skeptical, there are a load of wierdo's on the internet these days (most of them here :} )

And if it wasn't for them pesky kids, he'd have got away with it too....

ta ta.....

And here is my input.....

Just noticed the pic of the cocpit is named: "Trusthorpe 20039.jpg".....

A mere coincidence, or a timeless village resort which has a lovely church that was rebuilt during the Victorian era. Many facilities are available within the village including an open-air swimming pool at Trustville Holiday Village. Trusthorpe makes a splendid base from which you can discover Lincolnshire\'s Poacher Country - where a whole new world awaits you."

;)

IO540
17th Mar 2005, 17:50
One doesn't have to use Ebay more than a few times, to realise there is no point in bidding until the last 10-20 seconds before the auction expires.

The novices bid hours or days before, draw attention to themselves, and merely drive the price up.

To sell on Ebay, you have to give credit card and bank account details, and they verify them. This didn't apply to people who joined in the early days, though.

High Wing Drifter
17th Mar 2005, 18:29
One doesn't have to use Ebay more than a few times, to realise there is no point in bidding until the last 10-20 seconds before the auction expires.
I have found one or two other techniques successful on occasion.

IO540
17th Mar 2005, 21:54
A mystery, eh? :O

www.esnipe.com is one of them, I bet.

Not sure I would bother to buy a C152, on Ebay or in a car boot sale. After training in them, I swore I would never ever get into a Cesspit again, and to date I have managed to stick to that.

Big Hilly
17th Mar 2005, 22:16
IO540,

These guys (http://www.auctionstealer.co.uk/home.cfm) are jolly helpful when it comes to sniping too! :ok:

BH

LowNSlow
18th Mar 2005, 10:11
Why has somebody re-engined a C-152 with a Continental?

All C-152's were built with Lycoming O-235 engines, the C-150 was built with a Continental O-200. Ah well, one flat four cylinder aircraft engine looks much like another I suppose :p I would have thought that the log books would have assisted the seller here.....

Potter1
18th Mar 2005, 10:35
£22,100.00 and the Reserve is still not met.

How much does he expect to get for it :sad:

P...

KCDW
18th Mar 2005, 12:34
As I said, this guy is not really that stupid.

Post a reserve high enough, and you're safe. Meanwhile at the same time he has a massive shop window for his plane...

The reserve has been met at £22,500.

Interesting that Mr baddebtor went in at £22,400.

Just coincidence... ;)

Big Hilly
19th Mar 2005, 12:36
It gets even stranger!

The bid that met the reserve at £22,500 has now disappeared and it's back down to £22,300!!!

BH

Daysleeper
21st Mar 2005, 07:19
_A:_plane has not suffered any damage or hard landings.

I dunno bout that, I did my PPL on G-BITH back in 1993 and I certainly smashed it onto the Dundee runway a few times.

Whirlybird
21st Mar 2005, 08:23
The present price on Ebay is ridiculous, as is the reserve. Yet if you look at the questions, one person is asking if he can do his PPL on it. The answer, relayed from the instructor/seller, says he can do a PPL in 40 hours (teach this guy his Air Law!), and quotes a price based on instructor's pay of £30/hr. So he sells his aircraft at well above market price, and charges far more than most instructors get to teach the chap to fly. This seller may seem odd, but he ain't daft. :( I wish I could tell these overenthusiastic bidders/questioners that they're being ripped off.

Freebird17
21st Mar 2005, 08:30
I did my First Solo in G-BITH at Aberdeen in late 1992

Daysleeper
21st Mar 2005, 08:30
wish I could tell these overenthusiastic bidders/questioners that they're being ripped off.

you can

use the contact member option on eBay and send them all the truth!

Only I think you might find that some of the ones pushing the price way up are "stooges" if you know what i mean.

Whirlybird
21st Mar 2005, 10:46
I think I've tried to contact people in the past on Ebay, and unless you're dealing with them, ie bidding or selling to them, you can't email them. Of course, that may have changed.

Anyway, I shall watch with interest. I suspect that the seller has now contacted all serious buyers, and he'll sell the aircraft off Ebay, and since it hasn't reached the reserve, he won't have to pay any Ebay final value charges. Or, some fool bids over the reserve, and the seller makes a killing anyway. Clever, or what?

silverknapper
21st Mar 2005, 19:12
Interesting to note an awful lot of sales in the last month - many to the same people. What is it they say about building feedback with small things then going for a big sting? The fact the 'instructor' doesn;t have a clue says it all.
And as for a training school 152 having never had a hard landing??!!!

Swatters
21st Mar 2005, 19:59
I See the auction ended without re-reaching the reserve. I bet the muppet with nil feedback who has been a member since June 2002 wont be buying it !!! Dodger Seller me thinks !!

Big Hilly
21st Mar 2005, 20:17
It will have cost them over £100 in ebay fees (with a reserve of 23 odd grand) so someone's going to be a bit pi$$ed off tonight. . . . Mind you, expecting to get £23,500 for a 152 unseen - I suspect that that very someone may be living in La-La land anyway. . .

BH