PDA

View Full Version : leicester Aero club

sawotanao
16th Mar 2005, 21:28
What the hec's going on at Leicester Aeroclub? A quick visit there at the w.end, and I saw three Crashed a/c outside Rons hanger,think there all leicester aeroclubs :(

S-Works
17th Mar 2005, 08:40
LAC is one of the largest and oldest clubs in the UK the number of hours flown is pretty impressive and so statiscally they have a higher likelyhood of an accident then a club with 2 aircraft and 40 members.

It is down to the individual pilots to assess there own ability, competance and currency and make good decisions based on this, often this does not happen and an accident occurs.

Personally I would land on the runway not the field next to it or if I landed long on a short runway would not taxi off the end on full power.

The club is well run and serves the members well, it is just unfortunate that there have been 3 incidents so close together that have left the fleet a little depleted!

Pitts2112
17th Mar 2005, 16:41
I agree with Bose. LAC is a very well run club with a good safety and maintenance record. They've just had a string of bad luck. The last incident happened with the most experienced instructor in the club onboard. As a mate of mine likes to say "Sometimes life's like that..."

Still a good place to belong, visit, have a curry, whatever.

Pitts2112

airpilot
20th Mar 2005, 09:23
There's a nice girl at leicester working the bar if she's still there. Lovely arse and a nice personality. Think she is a PPL.

Arrestahook
20th Mar 2005, 11:12
So what happened with Norman then?

S-Works
20th Mar 2005, 12:17
Turned a 152 over after a practice EFATO turned into a real one.

sawotanao
20th Mar 2005, 13:49
EFATO, probly followed by hand fisted pilot 'rich cutting' donkey.Be interested to see exactly whay the engine failed. Didn't the same accident happen to BPAY a couple of years ago!

S-Works
20th Mar 2005, 14:16
Cold engine, cold morning, student did more than touch drills...

Penguina
20th Mar 2005, 14:19
airpilot:

Perhaps I'm being over-sensitive, but I when I read the 'lovely arse, nice personality' comment I was a bit taken aback. It stands out like a sore thumb in a thread about a run of accidents. I reckon my gender is worthy of more respect than that implies and I'd be embarrassed and peeved if I was the woman in question.

I can see no offence was intended, but perhaps you could re-phrase your comment? It's great that you enjoy looking at and talking to someone and I'm a realist when it comes to men (:D), but I also think it's worth mentioning when something makes me uncomfortable, otherwise people won't ever know the effects of their words.

The one time I visited Leicester I got the impression of a well-run place with a nice feel to it - the epitomy of the friendly GA scene. I think I'll express my confidence in the place by flying back there soon. :)

airpilot
21st Mar 2005, 07:35
Penguina,

My sincere apologies. Hope I haven't caused you any offence and I'm sure your worth more respect than my comment. I do enjoy paying women compliments but next time I shall tone it down.;)

With regards the aircraft and leicester its just a case of bad luck. Similar incident at cranfield when one club had a spate of nose wheel accidents but that was a while ago now. Haven't been to leicester for quite a while but the food was always very good and always a warm welcome.

Penguina
21st Mar 2005, 12:21
No probs, airpilot.

sawotanao
24th Mar 2005, 22:40
Bose , How is the thermal condition of the engine significant to the students perhaps improper 'touch drills'?:uhoh:....more likely an over enthusiast use of the throttle during recovery by an instructor ;)

DubTrub
25th Mar 2005, 00:07
sawotanao Leave it and drop it. Wait for the official AAIB report.

DT

sawotanao
25th Mar 2005, 22:05
'' Leave it and drop it'' thats just what the Leicester Aero Club instructors do isn't it?;)

c_jephcott
27th Mar 2005, 14:58
I recently converted from Leicester back to N.S.F, now at Sibson but while I was flying from Leicester, I did my conversion to the PA-28, and I remember being told at the time that there had been a spate of problems with the PA-28s over the last couple of months, resulting in one being damaged after a prop hit the ground at Connington/Peterborough Business/Holme/Glatton or whatever it is called nowadays, and the other one being taxied through a hanger door, with the door still closed. As such they were reluctant to let me fly the PA-28 at first, but in the end I managed to get around 12 hours on the type before the pressures of Uni pushed me back to Sibson!

Which aircraft were the damaged ones?