PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Vegas

BBK
16th Mar 2005, 07:06
Hi Guys

Can anyone recommend a school in the Vegas area form some recreational flying. I'm thinking of revalidating my FAA licence and perhaps a bit of sight seeing at the same time. Many thanks for any info.

cheers
BBK:D

PhilD
16th Mar 2005, 08:26
When I was there last year I rented from West Air at North Las Vegas (VGT). They were very friendly and helpful and rented me a tidy C172SP that I used to go over Lake Mead, the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley. I recommend you give them a call.

maggioneato
16th Mar 2005, 09:09
I used Henderson Executive airport. Arrived in Vegas, booked my flying before we had found anywhere to stay. We found it by heading in the general direction we had seen an aircraft taking off from. I too did the usual Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon stuff.http://www.airnav.com/airport/KHND

david viewing
16th Mar 2005, 09:23
I can endorse PhilD's reccomendation of West Air (http://www.westairaviation.com/nlvfrtpage.html) . The contact is John Gyles.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Mar 2005, 09:38
Not LV, but close, I recently had a very good experience with Sky School (http://www.skyschoolinc.com/) at Prescott Arizona, who I'd be very happy to recommend for FAA rental and instruction.

G

Floppy Link
16th Mar 2005, 09:57
I used West Air Helicopters for some R22
West Air were fine, easy to get to, great airfield at North Las Vegas

QNH 1013
16th Mar 2005, 11:07
Two months ago I did my BFR at "First Flight Aviation" at Las Vegas North. I just drove to the airfield, and they were the first flight school I saw. I walked in off the street with my new temp airman's certificate and walked out about three hours later with the BFR done. I was impressed with the standard of aircraft and instructor. I've just looked up their website and it is www.firstflightaviation.us. Tel number is 702 647 4111.

They let Mrs QNH 1013 surf the net and get up-to-date with her e-mails while I was quizzed and had my flying examined. A very friendly place.

david viewing
16th Mar 2005, 12:55
Must have just missed you. I bought some charts from them while stranded at VGT by the weather in mid Jan!

I see they are a bit 'iffy' about overnight rentals though.

They did once let me fly their RG, which was brave of them, but that was under the previous management.

Foxy2004
16th Mar 2005, 18:38
I did a few days last year with Sheble Aviation at Henderson Executive airport. Airport great & very convenient if you're on the South side of LV. However I wouldn't recommend Sheble; overworked uninterested instructor and mediocre organisation. They wouldn't let me land at any other airfield as management would get cross if the plane wouldn't restart away from base!

Great sights though and LV from the air spectacular.

BBK
19th Mar 2005, 00:51
Guys

Thanks, gracias, merci, danke etc etc.
BBK:D

Dan Winterland
21st Mar 2005, 16:49
Hi BBK,

I've rented from several places at North Las Vegas before, I would recommend West Air without a doubt. Good aircraft and friendly people.

Last time I went to Vegas and hired an aircraft, I seem to recall you were also on the crew!