PDA

View Full Version : Mildenhall/Lakenheath MATZ transit?

140cherokee
15th Mar 2005, 15:04
I'm thinking of going to Old Buckenham at the weekend (using the free voucher). Just wondering whether our US friends at Mildenhall and Lakenheath are as forthcoming as our own boys at Brize and Lyneham when it comes to transits. Are there any locals from the area that could comment?

Thanks

tmmorris
15th Mar 2005, 15:12
In my experience going to Old Buckenham it's no problem, though I did once get no (useful) reply at all from Lakenheath, just a 'station calling stand by' - but to be fair, she was sequencing what sounded like about 100 planes onto final, so I kept clear.

But remember they are Americans so they sometimes phrase things oddly...

Tim

drauk
15th Mar 2005, 15:12
I have never been declined.

140cherokee
15th Mar 2005, 16:46
Thanks, I'll give them a go.

Jodelman
15th Mar 2005, 17:33
You don't need clearance to go through the MATZ, only the ATZ.

Lowtimer
15th Mar 2005, 17:43
Lakenheath Approach, which runs the CMATZ, is generally very helpful and polite. They do get a lot of heavy traffic in and out, lots of KC-135s, KC-10s, C-130s, C-141s, C5s, the odd 757 schelpping in and out of Mildenhall etc, as well as the F-15Es out of Lakenheath and the odd GREAT BIG Super Jolly Greet Giant chopper whizzing around the outskirts of Ely at about 800 feet or so. All of these are capable of producing considerable wake turbulence so it is very wise to talk to Lakenheath App - they will give you a squawk - and listen out carefully too. You won't hear the military traffic transmitting on UHF but you often hear the controller talking back to them. You may well also hear the parachute dropper from Old Buck working that frequency, which is a useful reminder to keep your eyes and ears open as you approach Old Buck and avoid the overhead at all costs. On a point of order, though, it is a Combined MATZ, not Class D controlled airspace like Brize and Lyneham, it is class G airspace and you have every right to enter it, with or without contacting them. (Although as I say it is both polite and wise to do so if you are passing very close to, or inside the MATZ). Some people in the MATZ, especially the southern and western extremities, may be talking to Cambridge instead. Others may be non radio. (They do, however, have the right to keep you out of the Mildenhall and Lakenheath ATZs, up to 2000' agl, and will generally make it clear that you must not enter either ATZ. So if you want to route right overhead the airfields, it's best to set your height a decent margin above the ATZ, say 2500' agl or more, and make it clear to them you are maintaining vertical separation.

Watch out for the danger area north of A11 near Thetford, it is a live firing range and sometimes "hot" up to 7500'. I always stay south of the A11 unless specifically reassured by Lakenheath that it is "cold". Worth a look if it is, you might recognise it as the location where a lot of the outdoor "exercise" scenes were shot for Dad's Army all those years ago.

Hope this helps...

Hope this helps...

tmmorris
15th Mar 2005, 19:50
Watch out for the danger area north of A11 near Thetford,

Especially in the first week of July, when my cadets will be waving weapons around dangerously there... (aka STANTA)

Tim

Legalapproach
15th Mar 2005, 23:22
Lakenheath are usually very helpful and you should have no problem with or without a transponder although they are always happier with one. Should be relatively quiet at the weekend. The F 15's stay largely tucked up although the flying club might be operating.

Lowtimer gives some very good info and as he says, watch out for the danger area. This is often active at weekends as is the para dropping although a bit cold at this time of year. Some of the neighbours are a bit sensitive about noise at Old Buck and they prefer you to avoid Attleborough to the north of the field on the A11.

It's a very friendly airfield and you should have an enjoyable visit

Kolibear
16th Mar 2005, 08:09
Old Buckenham (http://www.touchdownaerocentre.co.uk/index.html)

The Fly-in section contains details of their circuit procedure. The first task is to locate Snetterton race circuit.