PDA

View Full Version : Nice UK field for a quick hop from Paris?

glowworm
15th Mar 2005, 12:46
Hi all,
Trying to take advantage of some nice weather these coming days, and would like to make a quick jump to the UK, from Toussus in Paris. Any suggestions? This would be a day flight so no over-night staying, and basically just for the english training.
I've looked over Biggin & Duxford for the fees, was thinking about Lydd.

Appreciate any comments, Thanks !

Kolibear
15th Mar 2005, 13:01
One of the more interesting charateristics of Lydd is that it is invisible. I'm sure that the only reason its has a VOR is that without it, no one would ever find it :O Theres not a great deal to do or see at Lydd either.

Duxford is very interesting, but you really need more that just a fleeting visit there. The Museum fees are additional to the landing fee too.

Depending on what you are flying, Duxford is about an hour from Dover, but you probably have about 20 airfields within that one hour radius.

(apologies to all Lyddites for being rude about your airfield)

glowworm
15th Mar 2005, 13:05
Thanks for the feedback...I'll keep an extra set of glasses for any vision problems with Lydd :ok:

Any specific ideas though? An practical field for a VFR guy with a few hours to spare?

KCDW
15th Mar 2005, 13:21
Try Headcorn, Glowworm,

Lot's going on there on a weekend. You're bound to see some great aircraft like the Moths. Occasionally someone does a practice display over the airfield. Great atmosphere on a sunny day.

glowworm
15th Mar 2005, 13:27
Thanks, am checking it out now ! :p

lobby
15th Mar 2005, 13:32
What about Manston, huge runway very friendly and VERY close to France.

glowworm
15th Mar 2005, 13:39
Hi,

I heard Manston had a 115€ mandatory handling charge for GA aircraft...A bit steep?

KCDW
15th Mar 2005, 13:46
I heard Manston had a 115€ mandatory handling charge for GA aircraft...A bit steep?

Don't think so. Can't remember what it cost me last time, but it was around £15, landing fee, and no handling charge.

Don't want to cause a flame war, but there really isn't that much to do at Manston. There is a nice little Battle of Britain museum with a Spit and a Hurri. And there is the fun factor of landing at a runway comparable in length and size to Heathrow, but that's about it.

Ducking now... :)

lobby
15th Mar 2005, 13:51
I have just started flying from Manston, not sure about the charge. Give TG Aviaton a call, they will be able to help.

http://www.tgaviation.com/

glowworm
15th Mar 2005, 13:54
Thanks for the pointer...I had read that on a french forum. No flame war intended ! :uhoh:

BRL
15th Mar 2005, 14:27
You could try Shoreham. Oldest (licensed) airfield in the UK, full of history, nice 'art-deco' style building, good facillities, customs, great ATC, nice location, pilot shop, good friendly crowd, beautiful location, first ever freight flight from the uk went from there etc etc........

Take a look at the webcam, good website(webiste!) HERE (http://www.shorehamairport.co.uk) Let us know if you come this way, I will let you buy us a cup of tea!! :D

Enjoy wherever you go. :)

lobby
15th Mar 2005, 15:33
Sorry to be picky but, Farnborough is the oldest active airfield in the uk, Shoreham is the oldest licensed airfield.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Mar 2005, 16:15
I'd suggest trying Bembridge on the Isle of Wight (just off the South coast of England, right in the middle). http://www.eghj.com/

Good tarmac runway, right on the coast, next to a very pretty beach and village, on-site customs, fuel, places to stay (in case the weather turns), and a superb lunch - particularly if you eat in the "Crab and Lobster" (http://www.crabandlobsterinn.co.uk/), which serves seafood that even the most anglophobe French Chef would be impressed by.

G

glowworm
15th Mar 2005, 16:31
Thanks for all the feedback guys ! Looks like I'm either heading for Shoreham or Bembridge for a quick stroll !
Cheers.

Jodelman
15th Mar 2005, 17:36
How about Rochester. Short bus ride into the historic centre of the town complete with Cathedral & Castle.

Squadgy
15th Mar 2005, 18:30
Sorry to be picky but, Farnborough is the oldest active airfield in the uk, Shoreham is the oldest licensed airfield.

But both are licenced airfields, and active :confused:

lobby
15th Mar 2005, 19:56
Farnborough has only been licensed for a short time. Before then it was MOD.

DBChopper
15th Mar 2005, 21:13
I'd second Shoreham.

Easy to find, excellent ATC, reasonable charges, good food available on site and plenty to see and do.

By the way... I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that they hide Lydd until you're within spitting distance!

;)

Genghis the Engineer
15th Mar 2005, 21:45
Lydd is equal first in the UK's "stealth airfield" competition with Compton Abbas.

G

Kolibear
16th Mar 2005, 08:15
glowworm, if you can handle getting into Shoreham on a busy day, you'l be able to get in anywhere in the UK, its a very popular airfield.

If you want to see interesting aircraft though, (and seeing as we are all praising our home airfields), come and visit North Weald. We are just past the Stapleford VOR so are easy to find.

Loony_Pilot
16th Mar 2005, 17:19
Sorry to disappoint you, but Lydds runway has been resurfaced and is now clearly visible from miles away.
the runway is now no longer the same colour as the surrounding marsh!

But it used to be impossible to see unless you knew exactly where to look!!

Lydd has a nice restaurant, but theres nothing to do outside the airport really.. unless you are desperate to go and see a Nuclear power station... or Ashford!