PDA

View Full Version : Probably a medical question

Shaft109
15th Mar 2005, 11:54
I'm in the process of applying to NATS and already have a CAA class 1 but how do you go on if you play rugby? (Or for that matter any sport where your head could take a bang - like boxing?).

I've never really thought about it's implication for flying/ATC before. Would i have to stop playing or am i overreacting?

I know one of the Underwoods was an RAF pilot as well as an International but i wouldn't call it a difinitive answer.

Anyone been in a similar position?

Someone_Else
15th Mar 2005, 12:26
You'll still get your medical all right! If you managed to get a class 1 then you'll have no problem.

We got a chat from the CMO in our first week where she said we should consider what sports/activities we do as any injury could have a significant impact on your job.

For instance, they say in the college that if you miss 10% of the course you will have no chance and will need a medical recourse - that's less than a week in some of the modules!

SE

Shaft109
15th Mar 2005, 13:00
To be honest i don't think playing rugby carries anyore risk than playing football does (In fact more footballers get injuries in their legs) but i think i'll take a common sense approach and just play liquid rugby in the pub:ok:

Let's face it, if you get a head injury from anything really then your goosed no matter what your career!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Mar 2005, 13:17
You'll have no problems, medical-wise, getting into NATS as you hold a Class 1 and I know plenty of ATCOs in a similar situation to you. Whether you lose your medical certificate in future because you do loony things like playing rugby is entirely within your hands!!!

Shaft109
15th Mar 2005, 13:33
Well it could be worse, i might have an interest in playing with rally cars:cool:

Or heaven forbid i may have to give up both of them and play football instead:{

In all seriousness i think i'll just have to find the balence between not doing something out of fear and going over the top with it, so just keeping up training without playing full games will suffice.

I find if you think you might get injured then you probably will by not being agressive enough so if you do get injured then that's life.

cheers for the sound advice, if only i knew about this place a few years ago.:ok:

AlanM
15th Mar 2005, 14:53
There are quite a few who play for local clubs at LTCC - constant banging on the head doesn't seem to have affected them too much. Hang on... thinking about it......:)

As for footie - LTCC have the "London Airways" team.

Rallying is probably safer - and loads horse ride which is far more dangerous as a whole.

Lock n' Load
15th Mar 2005, 15:31
For the safest participation sport of all, try clay pigeon shooting! Okay, the clays don't consider it safe but as yet they're not protected by law. Seriously though, it's safer than table tennis. A little over 20% of my old unit shot regularly, and the worst effect is that a couple of us were a bit deaf. I SAID A COUPLE OF US WERE A BIT DEAF.
Colleagues soon learn to turn the volume down as soon as they take over from you...
If I were you Shaft, I'd leave the serious rugby behind for a while but the odd practice game is unlikely to hurt. Most rugger b*ggers do more damage to themselves in the bar afterwards than during a game. Having said that, the one serious rugger b*gger on my course did give the impression of having taken a few blows to the head too many. He was back-coursed then chopped.

Barry Cuda
15th Mar 2005, 18:03
I played rugby whilst at the college, but twisted my pelvis training for the ATMDC team...! Nearly got recoursed as I missed 4 days of Aerodrome 1 but managed to hobble in and pass...

Also played Cricket for Poole whilst down that way, and had a few injuries then. One or two of the other course members got injured playing 5-a-side, one of then with a broken leg.

Basically accidents do happen and, whilst the college would prefer you to be in bed with a MATS pt 1 at 8 o'clock I don't think there is very much they can, or would, do to stop you.

AlanM
15th Mar 2005, 18:24
Not sure I would play too much heavy contact sport if at the College - there were a few back-coursed when I was down there - broken wrists etc in the Inter-course footie!

A back course could set you back a couple of intakes - maybe 6 months or more......

Obviously once you are valid, needed, and vital for the company to operate go for it. :) :)

Shaft109
19th Mar 2005, 13:39
"six months ago i fell on my head in a very nasty rugby tackle. the following day i noticed i couldnt in hale and get a full breath. my gp suggested i had reduced lung capacity as a result of landing upside down and compressing all my internal organs. it gets worse when i run although at rest it seems to be no problem, any one else had this or can shed light, regards , freightdogg"

I think i'll ease off a bit!