PDA

View Full Version : FAA 3rd class medical

FLYING COUNSEL
15th Mar 2005, 10:55
I've been in touch with a well known flight training organisation in the US, which offers a JAA PPL course. They informed me that all I require is a FAA 3rd class medical, this struck me as being a little odd, seeing as I was enquiring about their JAA course. Does anybody know whether this is indeed the case, or whether I will need the a JAA medical.

Thanks Guys, as always any useful comments or suggestions on any aspect of training in the States would be welcome.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Mar 2005, 11:01
To train in the USA, including for a JAR licence, and including passing the skills test, you need an FAA class 3.

To then be issued with that licence in a JAA member state, you need to submit a JAA class 2 medical with your application.

G

FLYING COUNSEL
15th Mar 2005, 11:09
Ah, I see, now that makes sense. Thanks for response Genghis.

I suppose common sense would suggest that one gets the JAA medical first, as to avoid unecessary expense and disappointment. I would also be guessing that the standard of both JAA class 2 and FAA class 3 are comparable, in so far as if one was to obtain one it would be unlikely that one would fail the other.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Mar 2005, 11:29
They are pretty similar, but if you are really clever you might find a medic who is both JAA and FAA and can do both at once for you.

G

Flyin'Dutch'
15th Mar 2005, 14:32
Failing to find someone who can do both in Ireland (list for FAA AMEs can be found here (http://ame.cami.jccbi.gov/)) you can of course do it in the States. Most local flying schools have someone local.

Am sure there is a similar list for IAA AMEs. If you cross reference that with the FAA site you can find someone who can do both.

Best of luck.

FD

dublinpilot
15th Mar 2005, 16:37
Here (http://www.iaa.ie/licensing/medicals/cl2_main.asp) is the list of IAA approved medical examiners.

I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe that Dr. Colm Killeen in Mountjoy Square in Dublin is also FAA approved.

dp

Sensible
15th Mar 2005, 21:13
You don't need a medical to start flight training, the medical is required at the time you go solo. In practice,the flight school will sort out a medical for you just before your first solo flight. Essentially if you can find your own way in to see the doc. then you are pretty much assured of a class 3 pass which isn't at all demanding. If you are planning to go commercial then it's a good idea to get a class 1 asap because that does require you to be in very fine form!

dublinpilot
16th Mar 2005, 08:16
The thing is, that a class 3 medical, is of no use to him once he gets his JAR licence. It's an FAA medical, and won't be recognised in Irish Airspace.

Once he gets back home, he will need at least a JAR Class 2 medical. Hence the advise of others, to get both done at the same time.

FLYING COUNSEL
16th Mar 2005, 12:28
You guys are great, really appreciate all the wisdom and advice. Indeed a quick check of both FAA and IAA register of medical examiners revealed that indeed Dr. Colm Killeen http://www.mountjoyfamilypractice.com/, is authorised to conduct both medicals.

think I'll be making myself an appointment. Thanks once again, probably saved myself a few bob too:ok: