PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Across the Pond

Nomorecrap
15th Mar 2005, 00:35
Just booked a trans tasman on Emirates for this weekend.

Check in time for Y Class is shown as 3 hours!

I am more used to the 90 min check in for the trans-tasmans.

Anybody tell me how strictly this is 'enforced'?

Buster Hyman
15th Mar 2005, 01:08
There's a new guy ex Jetstar that's controlling the check in nowadays...

donpizmeov
15th Mar 2005, 05:03
Think you will find thats when the checkin opens. 60 to 90mins seems to work.

Don

Pete Conrad
15th Mar 2005, 22:11
nomorecrap, Don's correct, travelled to NZ with EK recently, was the same deal. Enjoy your trip, they are a really great airline to fly on across the Tasman, sure beats the hell out of Pacific Blue and the crap they go on with!!!!

Nomorecrap
15th Mar 2005, 22:26
Thanks for replies.

Out of interest got an email back from EK saying 3hr at AKL is due terminal congestion and is recommeded by AKL Airport Authority.

However they also recommend 2.5 hr at BNE airport.

FYI, booked at short notice (72hr) EK were actually the cheapest fare available - $345 return + taxes. Next closest was QF (not Jet Connect part of it but the 744 service).

zulu_kilo
15th Mar 2005, 22:45
from experience, checkin opens at 1400, although that will change from sun (end of daylight savings).

You are best to checkin as early as you can, as I have turned up for the Syd flight (the last of there 3 departures) at 1600 and stood in queue for 2 hours.

Try and convince the agent to give you a pass to their new lounge that has just opened! :O

TIMMEEEE
15th Mar 2005, 23:02
I thought that "the pond" referred to crossing the Pacific Ocean and that going to NZ was referred to as crossing "the ditch" (or the 'dutch' if from kiwi land).

HGW
15th Mar 2005, 23:10
Pete, you just confirmed you are a plane spotter with the "travelled to NZ recently with EK". A question was asked about EK and you had to have a dig at PB out of all the airlines that fly to NZ. What about SJ - same product !!!. How did PB come into this post.
PB must have done something terribly wrong to you and I would love to know what?

The Enema Bandit
16th Mar 2005, 00:17
He probably thinks they're a pack of cockheads. Hmm. Funny about that.

Buster Hyman
16th Mar 2005, 00:24
Wasn't "the pond" the Atlantic?:confused:

Pete Conrad
16th Mar 2005, 01:00
HGW, you are a d!ckhead. Go back and play flight sim buddy. If only you knew. SJ are the same product, but do it better, you see HGW, the "flair" bullsh!t and unprofessional behaviour doesn't quite gell with the majority, refusing to serve little old ladies a glass of water to take their pills and playing stupid games with toilet rolls on board their flights sort of doesn't cut it with most of us, letting kids run amuck during flight and then some of their pilots tampering with other airlines assets isn't really professional behaviour now is it HGW? Do you want more "facts"? Go collect your taxes pal and stop wasting time following me around.

Read what the Enema bandit says, run along little man.

By the way HGW, some of us travel on various airlines when we are Australians based elsewhere to fly, it's called shopping around for the best price to enable us to commute, something you wouldn't know about because you aren't a pilot, but a shiny bum, so fark off!

Nomorecrap, thats a good fare, some of our guys based in AKL have commuted on Royal Brunei and got a better fare at certain times as well to BNE.

Wheeler
16th Mar 2005, 01:50
From my experience not surprised you need to rock up 3 hours before. I flew 8 legs with them not so long back - and have never experienced such long-winded check-ins or so many stuff-ups in just getting folk on board a 777. The crowning glory came during the last stop in Singapore, (just for juice) A QF 747 came in after us on the gate next door, unloaded, reloaded and chuffed off while the EK pax just watched EK stuffing around from the departure lounge!

I'm back with QF.

HGW
16th Mar 2005, 02:13
Wow !!! Pete, I obviously hit a nerve. Again, what the hell has EK got to do with PB and I notice everything is fine unless someone disputes what you say.
Geez, you hide well behind that computer and are baited so easily. Sorry mate. I won't say anything more. Just one question, who do you fly for?

V1OOPS
16th Mar 2005, 04:23
Tried Emirates last year and had one of the best trips across the ditch. Great service, food and entertainment options.

Also very cheap if you score one of their $1 fares!

HAMO
16th Mar 2005, 08:41
Check in for all EK flights opens -3 hrs prior to STD. Closes at -40 mins no if's, buts or maybes.

Earlier u check in, less time you wait in the queue and better choice of seat. Esp with loads across the ditch from BNE, queues can be lengthy.

As for asking for an invite into the new EK lounges in BNE or AKL - forget it. Restricted to commercial F and J pax (doesnt include those have been upgraded) and Skywards Gold (EK Freq Flyer prog) members.

Eastwest Loco
16th Mar 2005, 09:19
Correct HAMO - checkin opens 3 hours prior to pushback and indeed closes minus forty.

If you have an agent with any brains, your seat has been preallocated, and failing airport intervention you will get it. More likely to get it if you check in in a timely maner.

A service one will not generally find offerd through Fright Centre, Student flights and other "here is your ticket - have a nice lifez" outlets.

Best regards

EWL

apacau
16th Mar 2005, 19:56
EWL, I believe EK don't pre-allocate seats for economy passengers.

itchybum
16th Mar 2005, 20:41
your seat has been preallocated failing airport intervention you will get it They'll say anything to get a sale.

Not at all naive are we, Mr. Loco-Coco Loco????

Eastwest Loco
17th Mar 2005, 07:53
No itchy, not that naive at all.

The seat maps showing allocated and free seats are freely available in Sabre on link. Although you cannot "direct conect" sell the seats, if you load the seat request as a 3RQST element, often they will come back KK in Y.

If not, if you are an Agent in good standing with EK (and we are) a phone call to Res or Sales usually does the job.

With a Skywards number, it is even easier.

I just went into the seatmap of EK412 29MAR SYD AKL, and over 25% of the economy compartment seats are showing as allocated, NOT blocked.

As for being stale itchy, I have been stale for years but work bloody hard to make sure nobody has any reason to take a piece out of me and find out!:rolleyes:

Regards

EWL

SeldomFixit
17th Mar 2005, 09:27
EWL - yours is yet another side of the " business " that fascinates me as a denizen from a totally different area and I've enjoyed the technical insights into your part of the game.
What stands out like the proverbial dog's nutz is that your main protagonist on this and a related thread is a complete wannabe. Let's hope he discovers just what it is he wantztabe as he hasn't qualified himself for any seat on the ride from what I've read so far.

Cheers digger.

Eastwest Loco
17th Mar 2005, 10:08
Thanks Seldom.

I was always a "never would be" due to my eyesight which at the time and probably even now would have precluded me from senior commercial. I don't even know if I would have had the aptitude. Probably not. I am too bloody lateral and would have been just plain dangerous.

So- went for groundhog after being brought up under the tail of a DC4 and Viscounts by a LAME father, and entered the industry.

Like anyone in any job, it is what you make it and reservations systems are my specialty. Many times I have had to tell the kids running IPARS and Univac based systems at Airlines how to do something in the "black hole" to solve a problem. Most of them have 2 days training on Quickres now and are let loose. The 2 sets of systems have mutually exclusive command strings, but within the system types their is 90% commonality.

I am not qualified for a seat on the ride Seldom, and never will be - but if anyone can get you on it down the back, I am the dude to do it.

I can also offload any passenger off any flight booked anywhere in the world and not leave a footprint. Maybe I should do my currency reendorsement on him?:}

As for getting the "sale" - that does light the wick.

I regularly issue tickets for nothing for a little mate of mine who has Jetset Black Rock - Michelle - and a great operation she runs too. She is on Amadeus, and they can't currently E-ticket Emirates. We can, so I issue on her behalf to save a $50.00 PTA fee and a courier to the EK office. We in general share knowledge and help out mates. Same applies to most Agents in the town. If they get bogged down and can't fix something, they call. I help. They are mates, many of whom I have worked with.

The day I worry about wannas like itchy will be a dark day in the morning. Most of us in here will help our colleagues and mates by sharing information and advice willingly.

If I ever do a turnaround for you Seldom, you better have your finger out - i will have the load sheet in your face and the passengers loaded before the tyres cool.

Best regards

EWL

Nomorecrap
21st Mar 2005, 05:23
As a followup:

Arrived 2 hr before dep at BN and only a few in queue - got checked in at J Class counter anyway without joining queue.

Boarding process: a shambles. Departed 30 min late because of it . (Inbound flight was on time).

(Inflight service OK.)

Ex AKL: Arrived 2:30 prior sched departure and I am glad. As it was queued for 3 chapters of my book - around 30-40 min I suppose. Queue behind us gathered strength to literally out the airport door. Reason seemed to be 2 X 773 and 1 X A343 all departing around same time with a total of 9 check in positions. Departed late due boarding congestion.

(Inflight service - disjointed. Made even QF look good. Food, when it arrived, was superior however - but it would have been good to get a wine with meal - not 30 min after finished.)

In future will look for smaller aircraft (A320/767/737) flights to hopefully get away on time.

AKL airport terminal is obviously way too small for what they are trying to move - upgrade is underway.

(BTW: I was surprised to see EK configuring Y as 3-4-3 in a 777! I don't know myself of any other airline that gets away with that - glad I was not continuing to SIN/DXB or Europe. SQ and TG are 3-3-3 on their 777.)

Eastwest Loco
21st Mar 2005, 07:03
Austrian now run the 777 in 3 4 3 config on most flights Nomore.

They were running with 3 3 3 in the forward cabin and 3 4 3 in the rear econymy compartment, with skinnier seats.

Even now the occasional 3 3 3 creeps in on the OS1/2 service. One can only assume the 3 3 3 is normally reserved for the original "wide body" market. The US.

(Creeps back to corner and waits for the inevitable shot from one of the esteemed Woomeri!!)

Best regards

EWL

Woomera
21st Mar 2005, 07:22
Bang! :p :uhoh: :cool:

Nomorecrap
21st Mar 2005, 09:13
Thanks for the tip on Austrian.

Have also investigated MAS and they run 2-5-2 on their 777 - interesting config. Hopefully the middle seat is sold last. Also means 80% of seats hvae to be filled before they 'need' to use a seat that is non-aisle or non- window. Quite smart.

Have just booked next trip across pond/puddle/ditch/creek with RBA. A good deal too. Think I may even have enough money left over to manage the cost of a wine at the airport as RBA operate dry - they claim this makes them popular to fly with.

Having seen the behaviour of various sports teams travelling over the years I would say they are probably right.

Eastwest Loco
21st Mar 2005, 09:35
:O Well, I suppose I did walk into the spinning prop didn't I Woomera?

Best regards

EWL

ps: Missed me!!! Nyah nyah!!!!

:p

Nomore

Try seatguru.com - very good tool for us peoples selecting seats as it tells you which are good, marginal or bad seats by airline, configuration, specific sub tpes etc. and includes why.

Following is the breakdown of represented airlines who operate 777 equipment and their configs in Y class:

AF 3 3 3
AA 2 5 2
BA 3 3 3
CX 3 3 3
CO 3 3 3
DL 3 3 3 New config
DL 2 5 2 Old config
KL 3 3 3
SQ 3 3 3
UA 2 5 2

Best

EWL

Buster Hyman
21st Mar 2005, 10:57
2-5-2 on a 777? LUXURY! Try 2-5-2 on a 762!!!:ooh:

Hey Loco Bloko...did the old girl get back from China ok?

Eastwest Loco
21st Mar 2005, 11:04
2 5 2 on a 767 Buster??? Ugly!!! Who in God's name runs that config??? Hobbit Air Charter Inc? You would need to have the seat surgically removed after a 2 hour + flight.

Yes thanks mate.She is back and has been seen around town after a stint in a Mental facility in NSW near the daughter.

I asked the daughter to get the SQ return coupon back to fund her SYD DPO when the time came - but no way she was releasing the ticket!!!

Nothing has changed obviously, but the lady is safe and back home.

Gotta give her due praise - for someone who has some serious issues, she is sure as hell an adventurer.

Best regards

EWL

Zigzag
21st Mar 2005, 12:22
Have also investigated MAS and they run 2-5-2 on their 777 - interesting config. Hopefully the middle seat is sold last. Also means 80% of seats hvae to be filled before they 'need' to use a seat that is non-aisle or non- window. Quite smart.

Am I adding up wrong here, or wouldn't 5 in the centre mean there's 3 seats that are non-aisle or non-window?

Does that not make the "threshold" 2/3 full, before you get that scenario?

Buster Hyman
21st Mar 2005, 22:14
Loco-Bloko. Glad to hear she's ok. Must be a weight off your mind.

Britannia run their 762's in that config. This is the airline that squeezed 292 onto the very same airframe!!! Didn't run it to Oz though...you'd have heard the whingeing from DPO!!:rolleyes:

Nomorecrap
21st Mar 2005, 22:19
Yes Quite Right ZigZag - what I should have said was 2/3 full for non-aisle / window, and 80% before more than one seat from aisle....... I think?