PDA

View Full Version : Second Officer

FAB
14th Mar 2005, 14:04
Maybe a stupid question...

When you are rated on the A320 only, can you fly for a company (in Asia) as a relief pilot on the A330?

Is it possible to be employed as a S/O with a company using A320s only? What would be the role of a S/O on an A320?

Thanks

Captain Can't
16th Mar 2005, 00:01
no and no. I think anyway...
I don't know of any 320 operator that would need a cruise pilot, however, maybe in a Business config?
do a type conversion - just a short course and your 320 rating becomes a 330 rating... or thats the theory how i understand it! who has s/o's in asia on 330s? the ones i'm thinking of would give you your rating... but i stand to be corrected! good luck :)

togaroo
16th Mar 2005, 08:56
Depends what country and what airline. I know of an airline in the UK that employed pilots as second officers (low hours), rated and flew in the RHS of an A320, so it is possible!

FAB
16th Mar 2005, 12:58
Thank you for your responses.

I heard that once you have the A320 rating, it's easier to obtain the A330 one. I asked the school where I did my training, they told me that I have to complete the initial A330 training and cost is 28000$US (twice the price of my A320 rating)....

Presently looking for a job on the A320 family around the world, I have no experience, Canadian licence, EU passport.
I sent 62 CVs since january and received 26 responses (keep my resume, will contact me when applicable...)

I you have some contacts or infos, it would be nice.

FAB

ElNino
17th Mar 2005, 11:28
Togaroo, in the this case, the pilots in question are not SO's as the term is understood by many (i.e. cruise pilots). They would in fact be FO's without an ATPL and the title SO is merely administrative (i.e. they get paid less).