PDA

View Full Version : Infant restraint

TangoBee
13th Mar 2005, 20:43
Can anyone help? I want to buy an approved restraint for a child under 2 to allow her to sit on her mother's lap while flying.

Extensive Googling has only turned up a really good looking body harness that's not approved!

I know it's best to use an approved car seat - which we do when there's only 3 of us in the plane. When my 2 boys come along we need all 4 seats, and as I understand it (and as stated in the POH) a child under 2 can sit on an adult with an approved safety belt. In this instance you can have 5 POB in a 4 seater.

Any other tips for flying with infants would be appreciated - she had her first flight today (aged 3 months), and slept right through it - we stayed low and avoided any ear problems.

Thanks

TB

bar shaker
14th Mar 2005, 06:39
TB

How many of these do you think are sold each year? 20? 10? 5?

If you made them, how much would you be willing to spend on an approval test?

If it looks good and is well made, buy it.

Engine overtemp
14th Mar 2005, 07:40
This (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2979&item=5563837813&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) on Ebay looks like the thing you are after. It claims to be a B737 seat belt but the picture shows the loop through which you would put the adult belt. :ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
14th Mar 2005, 11:11
The difference between keeping a toddler on your lap with and without a restraint is that with a restraint the toddler will be crushed by your body flying forward (that is if you only have a lapbelt as is common in most rear seats) and without the restraint the toddler will be unrestraint and become a projectile.

The only way to safely fly with kids is in appropriate/approved seats.

Other than that they usually enjoy it until the novelty wears off and they will just go to sleep.

Much is made of ear problems in descends and hearing damage/headphones.

Most kids don't tolerate earphones for any length off time.

My personal take is that if you have that much time and dosh that their hearing would become at risk you are probably going to be flying something fancy with a jet engine or two and pressurisation. So mine fly with headsets for as long as they tolerate them but I don't worry too much if they take them off.

The discos they will visit as teenagers are likely to do more damage!

;)

TangoBee
14th Mar 2005, 12:28
Very many thanks all for your help.

TB