PDA

View Full Version : Public Transport / Private C of A

Fox Alpha
13th Mar 2005, 11:51
Can anyone tell me the differences in maintenance schedules for these two types of C of A? Does having a light single on a public cat cost more than a private cat?

Can I rent my aircraft out on the basis of a Public Cat C of A and suitable insurance? I guess this is not possible with a private category.

foxmoth
13th Mar 2005, 13:57
Used to be a lot of difference when you used to need a 50 hour check every 60days on PT but not on private, this applied even if you had only flown an hour or so, not so much difference now.
rental is possible as per your post.:ok:

homeguard
13th Mar 2005, 15:58
Not a lot of difference these days.

The major differences are these;

Private Catergory; You may do your own 50hr/Annual inspections and basic maintenance. You may sign the 50hr in the log book but a licensed engineer must sign for the Annual. The Star Annual must be signed by an approved organisation. The maintenance that you are allowed to do is limited to such things as changing the oil and tyres etc. The full list is contained within the LAMS schedule.

Public catergory; All scheduled inspections/maintenance must be undertaken by a licenced engineer.

The saving in cost (Private Cof A) if any will depend how much work you do yourself.

The catergories are changing to Utility & Public Catergory. The Private Catergory is going as each Star is completed. Utility aircraft will be usable for Hire & Reward and for Arial Work. However for the later to happen the last checks will need to have been completed by a licenced engineer.

Insurance is a matter for you. If the aircraft is insured only for your own use then it is only then that the insurer will pay. If you wish to insure for all users then that is the insurance that you need to pay. The insurer in the main is only concerned that the aircraft is used legally. Some insurers apply restriction to the use and also for types of user.

Whopity
13th Mar 2005, 18:03
With effect from 28 Sept 2004 there is no longer a Private Cat or a Public Transport Category any more. All existing Cs of A are now deemed to accord with EASA and when they are reissued at the end of their 3 year period they will be simply a Certificate of Airworthiness.

How you use the aircraft will depend upon the way it is maintained.