PDA

View Full Version : ANYONE ELSE RECEIVED A JUNK txt msg FROM A WELL-KNOWN PILOT SHOP?

BEagle
11th Mar 2005, 18:08
Has anyone else received a junk sms message from a well-known pilot shop offering discounted tickets for the London Airshow today?

Personally I think that junk 'txt msg' advertising should be prohibited. But my no. is registered with the TPS to stop reception of this sort of cr@p, so how did it get through?

Established Localiser
11th Mar 2005, 19:16
Me Too,

I make sure i dont give my mobile number on junk correspondance , so where the hell they retrieved my moby from.

Drives me crackers junk mail , especially faxes and sms

EL:\

niknak
11th Mar 2005, 20:38
The TPS can definately stop sales calls, but I don't think that SMS messages are included within the legislation at the moment, however they will be in the near future.

helicopter-redeye
11th Mar 2005, 21:08
I got it today. It struck me that on the 2005 'guide' registration form I supplied my mob number for certain upgrades to be texted out (new service for this year) ........

I still have the form I faxed (obviously ...)

:8 :ouch:

DBChopper
11th Mar 2005, 21:26
Yep - me too.

So just how "discounted" are these tickets - anybody found out yet? :hmm:

Can't say I expected these sort of messages when I gave them my mobile number, but perhaps that's just naive of me in this day and age... :(

skydriller
12th Mar 2005, 14:09
I have never had this problem.......But then I must be the only person in the industrialised world that does NOT have a mobile phone......:p

Regards, SD..

PS.. WHICH famous pilot shop:suspect:

BEagle
12th Mar 2005, 15:07
I ask that its identity remain anonymous. It is the principal of junk-texting which is under discussion and the specifics of this case are irrelevant.

GT02FLY
12th Mar 2005, 16:19
I got one too - can't work out how they had my mobile number though.

helicopter-redeye
12th Mar 2005, 16:30
PS.. WHICH famous pilot shop

We'd have to kill you if we told you.

can't work out how they had my mobile number though

See 4 posts up.

NB most of the industry have your email address as well ....

:ugh:

moku
12th Mar 2005, 17:13
This is the main reason that I NEVER put down my mobile number on any forms, other than Employment applications.
So far had the same number for 3 years and not one junk SMS message. My bank do not even have my mobile number.

Same applies to my email address. No junk email to speak of yet either. Though the bank has that info for online banking.. just checked the box for emails etc.......

M.

englishal
12th Mar 2005, 18:26
Send them the bill for their unsolicited text message. They can quite clearly read your poilcies and scale of charges for receiving unsolicited junk email / faxes and text messages on your web site...right ;)

I'd say an invoice for £50 is reasonable......

trevelyan
12th Mar 2005, 19:55
But my no. is registered with the TPS to stop reception of this sort of cr@p, so how did it get through?

TPS?......

Not Transair Pilot Shop then...?

:rolleyes:

DBChopper
12th Mar 2005, 22:59
BEagle,

Out of interest, why do you want them to remain anonymous? After all, they have chosen to send us unsolicited texts.

Just wondered, because I'm quite happy to say which one it is...

DBChopper
:ok:

BEagle
13th Mar 2005, 06:50
Because I e-mailed them and they agreed to look into the reason why my no. was used in this way. So it'd be a bit of a stab in the back if I subsequently identified them in this forum.

Does anyone support text message advertising? Personally I think that it's one of the most annoying aspects of mobile technology.

If phone software writers wanted to add something useful, instead of cameras, FM radio, silly frogs and other kiddy toys, they'd give us a 'text screening' service which would have the options of:
1. Allow all.
2. Allow text messages only from no.s held in the phone's memory.
3. Allow none.

helicopter-redeye
13th Mar 2005, 18:52
Costs money to collect a text, esp if overseas at the time.

I think £50 is too low, esp given the time debating the issue AND the free publicity for 'you know who' ......

Kolibear
14th Mar 2005, 06:49
Beagle,

Orange will certainly block unwanted e-mail messages, the only problem is you have to know the address where they come from.

I blocked all junk e-mail from Orange by accessing my e-mail inbox on their website selecting the 'block' button and ticking all the offending messages.

Worked a treat too!

Keef
14th Mar 2005, 08:08
I didn't get one - should I feel excluded? But then, I don't put my mobile number on stuff to shops and the like.

I've registered all our phones with the TPS, and I thought that also covered SMS. I've not had any junk SMS since registering, but that may be coincidence.

DBChopper
14th Mar 2005, 21:22
As I recall, the reason for our supplying a mobile number was only for the purposes of receiving updates. Probably naiive, as I stated earlier, but the company in question has arguably one of the best reputations in the business. For now, I'll respect BEagle's reasons and not mention their name.

BEagle - I'll be interested in their reply to your e-mail...