PDA

View Full Version : Cirrus Brake Problems

Dimbleby
11th Mar 2005, 15:23
Spotted this interesting post on the COPA site.

"Good Afternoon Everyone. My name is Tealeye Cornejo, I am an Air safety Investigator for the National Transportation Safety Board. I am looking for information on the 22 brake system and whether or not anyone has run into any problems with the brake system? My contact information is:
Ms. Tealeye Cornejo
Air Safety Investigator
National Transportation Safety Board
Southwest Regional Office
1515 W. 190th Street, Suite 555
Gardena, CA 90248
e-mail: [email protected]
phone: 310-380-5659

I would appreciate any feedback you have for me. An e-mail or phone call would be great. Thank you for your time."

And a reply on the COPA site was;

"You have certainly come to the right place to ask that question! There has been a plethora of brake problems on Cirruses. To name a few of them, chafing and ruptured brake lines, leaking and blown out brake cylinder o-rings, premature wear-out of brake pads and rotors, brake overheating related fires, and brake failure induced landing crashes and rollout incidents.

Very few of these events have been reported to the FAA or NTSB because they did not meet the reporting requirements. They have not been considered "accidents" nor "reportable incidents" per section 830.2 and 830.5 because no one was "seriously" injured, brakes are not considered a flight control system by the participants here, and the damage that occurred generally was below the $25,000 threshold.

You will find that there are very few records available on this site in the public sections, but there are many reports of problems available in the members only sections and message archives. I suggest you contact one of the COPA board members (listed on the COPA web site main page) to gain access to those records."

Interesting ,….. with all the door problems, spin problems, limits to chute deployment, screen failures, now brake problems….why are people buying?

soay
11th Mar 2005, 21:01
In the same spirit, Why Some New 172s, 182s Are Grounded (http://www.aero-news.net/news/genav.cfm?ContentBlockID=a31d279b-aeb7-4d46-912d-bd54ede5c88a&Dynamic=1&Range=WEEK&FromDate=03%2F04%2F2005&ToDate=03%2F11%2F2005&Category=%2Fnews%2Fgenav.cfm).

Actually, I had a go in a Cirrus SR-20 yesterday, and am in no doubt why people buy them: they are fantastic to fly! Cirrus have an enthusiastic group of owners, who are very forthright about their criticisms, in the members section of their forum. Issues such as brake problems are seriously thrashed out there, and from what I've read, they have only affected a small minority of the planes. Most of the problems with brakes seem to have arisen due to failure to notice that the pads were wearing out.

I joined the member's section specifically to dig the dirt, before deciding whether to buy one. This option is available to all comers (and I understand that Ms. Tealeye Cornejo has now been given free membership), so you don't have to take my word for it that I have been reassured by what I have read.

Onan the Clumsy
12th Mar 2005, 02:57
Perhaps not the most relevant response, but I'm left wondering why her email is cornejt@ if her name is T Cornejo.

I would have thought it would have been cornejot@ instead :8

stiknruda
12th Mar 2005, 08:03
Onan - many organisations have strict guidelines for e-mail addresses, some based on the 7 digit mainframe (racf) sign-on!

Stik

Onan the Clumsy
12th Mar 2005, 12:17
Excellent. A fellow :8

:cool:

stiknruda
12th Mar 2005, 14:41
Sorry Onan, not a fellow geek, see yr PM's:D

Rod1
14th Mar 2005, 07:31
I have never flown a Cirrus, and I probably never will, but I am curious. Some aircraft gain cult status, and have many supporters. The Cirrus gets bashed on the boards on a regular basis, generally with very little appearing to be wrong with it. Whey the permanent negative press?

Rod1

englishal
14th Mar 2005, 10:26
Jealousy I imagine....some people seem to think that if they don't have / can't afford one, then they must be rubbish, and do the best to put them down. I'm sure Sigmund Freud would have a theory.....

I don't have one / can't afford one, but I reckon they're a real step forward in GA, and IF I could afford one, I would have one (well, maybe I'd have a TwinStar instead, but thats just because I like twins ;) )

SR20flyDoc
14th Mar 2005, 20:27
Jealousy I imagine....some people seem to think that if they don't have / can't afford one, then they must be rubbish, and do the best to put them down. I'm sure Sigmund Freud would have a theory.....

:ok:

I have to fly this plane from time to time, it's all I have, wishing I had a D-jet, or , even better an Eclipse or Mustang :{ But it's great, really a step forward. And very usable to go places.

And don't forget the parachute issue. The "Real pilots don't have / need one" argument.

:confused:

Except for the military ?

S.

g0kmt
14th Mar 2005, 22:46
Silly question, but can a Cirrus be flown on an NPPL or is it classed as complex? Aint got an NPPL though just curious - I can dream - of both :)

bcfc
15th Mar 2005, 10:07
Pure coincidence, but on Sunday, a SR20 (i think) got stuck on the edge of the runway leading to the taxiway with a brake problem. I think the left was stuck.

Compliments to the pilot who did his upmost to free up the brake and clear the runway so us few die-hards could get in a circuit or two before the airfield closed. It was quite entertaining seeing the Cirrus pirouetting around.

-bcfc