PDA

View Full Version : Motion simulators

readbackcorrect
11th Mar 2005, 00:28
As opposed to fixed base, has anyone a preference and if so why.
Do u prefer motion sims for LOFT? Renewals? both ? ANy comments appreciated. Is there a perceived need for motion sims? Do u feel more comfortable with movement?

CHeers

alexban
11th Mar 2005, 08:33
We use no more the fixed sim's and it's a nice thing.
The motion sim it's almost like the real thing,you tend to forget it's a sim.The fixed one it's a computer game.
You'll have to do windshear training,cat II-III app,skill test,single engine app....hard to imagine now doing this in a fixed base sim.And also not approved by the CAA.

keithl
11th Mar 2005, 09:42
...and yet...and yet. Motion's nice, but when it has been u/s and switched off, if I don't tell the crew they don't notice any difference.

readbackcorrect
11th Mar 2005, 22:56
So may i assume that in anything other than initial type rating and turbulence/windshear that a motion sim is not essential. Do the pilots perform aswell without the motion input. Kinda like eating with ur eyes closed? I mean taking away a source of potential cues. Although were always told follow the instruments anyways..

A Comfy Chair
12th Mar 2005, 13:39
I personally find that motion sims feel more natural, and I perform much better in handling scenarios.

After I have done a number of motion sim sessions, the first 20mins or so of the fixed base I find myself getting rather queasy for some reason; like the motion should be there, but isn't.

After that, and I get into the session, and I forget about it.

Hope that helps.

keithl
14th Mar 2005, 10:13
rbc
If you have chosen your word "essential" carefully, then I say "Yes". Motion is definitely desirable, but it is not essential. I've been a sim instructor on various thing (FW and Rotary) for 13 years and have come across a handful of cases where the mis-match between the visuals and the lack of motion causes nausea. Mismatch between instruments and motion should never be a problem, because the whole point of I/F is to ignore the "seat of the pants" in favour of the story the instruments are telling you.

readbackcorrect
14th Mar 2005, 21:53
Yep cant agree with u more Keith..

In saying this would it not be valuable experience to input some conflicting motion vs instruments in order to highlight this. ?

keithl
15th Mar 2005, 09:46
Well, that will happen naturally in a motion sim, rbc, and I wouldn't introduce any deliberately unreasonable motion cues, even if I knew how to!!

usedtobe
17th Mar 2005, 14:55
Motion sims definitely feel more natural but what they don't simulate at all well is yaw.
In away this makes engine out flying harder.