PDA

View Full Version : Felthorpe Airfield needs some Help

Justiciar
8th Mar 2005, 19:53
Some of you may know the recent difficulties the Felthorpe Flying Group has gone through.

It is now being pressured by the local council to put its planning permission on a proper footing. This means the the Group has to apply for an established use certificate. Fortunately, there do not seem to be the problems of local objection and local government pig headedness that some airfields go through.

However, the Group needs to establish by evidence that the airfield has been operating continuously for ten years at least (it has in fact been going since the 1960s).

Could anyone who has records in their logbook of flying into Felthorpe in this period please contact me (PM if necessary). We are particularly interested in regular flights into the airfield, especially during weekdays.

If people are willing to give me personal details it would be our intention in due course to ask them to provide a statement or statutory declaration setting out dates when they have used the airfield. this would then be submitted to the Council with the application.

Thanks in advance.:ok:

stiknruda
8th Mar 2005, 22:08
J,

I'll have a troll through my logbook!

I'll also speak to a chum (P Fm, Pitts owner) who had an aircraft destroyed there during the great fire and I don't believe has gone back.

Stik

smithoag
9th Mar 2005, 04:35
Hi
I'm not a flyer,just an enthusiast who enjoys visiting airfields....
the current "Felthorpe" situation seems to be happening with increasing regularity these days and while it is great to see members of the flying community clubbing together to help save these airfields,I am left wondering if there is anything that we,the enthusiast/spotter(...or whatever???)to do to help,afterall it's in our interests too!!!!!
Good luck to Felthorpe and all airfields facing similar difficulties
Colin
Oxfordshire Aviation Group

Croqueteer
9th Mar 2005, 06:59
We were granted established use of our strip about three years ago, and when I mentioned over 10 years use to the planner, she said " That is wrong, you only need 4 years use to qualify" Worth a check up on.

BroomstickPilot
9th Mar 2005, 08:18
Smithoag

Glad to hear from you. We in the GA Community need all the friends we can get. Non-flying people can do a lot to help.

For example, in the current case perhaps you may have photos of day visits to Felthorpe, when you have gone there aircraft spotting. Or you may have spotter's records of what you saw there on a particular date.

If you can be definite at least about the year of your visit and what you saw on that occasion, I should think your statutory declaration would be as valuable as any aircraft owner or pilot's. Making a sworn statement at a solicitor's only costs a couple of quid, so it won't break the bank.

There is also no reason why you should not write to the local council in support of Felthorpe, pointing out that you, a non-flyer, consider it to be a valuable recreation resource.

Best regards,

Broomstck

smithoag
9th Mar 2005, 08:25
Hi Broomstick,
many thanks for your reply....our next meeting is on Monday 14th March and I will flag this up and ask if any of our members can help...presumably send anything direct to Felthorpe????
all the best
colin

Monocock
9th Mar 2005, 12:09
If it helps...

I popped in at 11.45 on 06-06-04 and left at 11.05 the following day.

I was given free hangarage for the night and a very warm reception on arrival. If this field is being threatened that is a great shame. I would be happy to write to anybody you like me to if it would help.

Good Luck

Justiciar
9th Mar 2005, 12:29
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I should have said that the request is certainly not limited to pilots. Anyone who has visited on a day when flying took place may be able to give valuable evidence.

I am quite happy to prepare Statutory Declarations for anyone who can provide the raw data plus their name and address. I am sure the group would refund oath fees, which are £5 currently.

As I said, a PM (or email) with the details would be very useful and I will then produce the declaration.

Fortunately this does not seem to be a case of anyone trying to close down the airfield. But, if the group cannot show flying on days other than club days (Wednesdays and Saturdays) then they could end up being limited to those days.

G-KEST
9th Mar 2005, 22:31
I think my first visit was back in the late 1950's when George Jarvis owned Tiger G-ANFM so I will dig out my logbooks over the weekend and let you have the details.
Cheers,
Trapper 69

rossmere
10th Mar 2005, 07:44
I was a member of the Felthorpe Flying Group in 1974. In addition to log book entries I have some old receipts for aircraft hire from the group. If they can be of any use I'll be happy to send you copies

Justiciar
11th Mar 2005, 12:46
Thanks to everyone for their input. I have received some very valuable information and dates which we shall use in the Planning Application.