PDA

View Full Version : Generating Squawks

NW3
7th Mar 2005, 19:45
Hi All.

I have searched the forums on pprune, but couldn't find an answer - apologies if it's a FAQ.

I'm currently training for a CPL in Jerez in Spain, and was wondering if there was any logical code generated by the (Seville I assume) computer for each of my flights. I notice that they normally (always?) start 07xx or 23xx - do ICAO dish out sets of codes to each control area, or is it less strict than that? I guessed the codes weren't going to be random, as there's too much chance of a duplicate, but then wondered what happened on a very long flight, where an aircraft may traverse a number of different areas.

Many thanks in advance for any pointers.

NW3

Gonzo
7th Mar 2005, 21:59
NW3,

Have a look at The UK Code Assigment Plan in the UK AIP ENR 1-6-2-4 on www.ais.org.uk (free to register)

This, along with ORCAM (Originating Region Code Allocation Method) determines which series of codes apply to which route, depending on which airspace each flight will transit.

Each set of codes under ORCAM will have multiple users. For example, 0501-0521 might be for UK-France flights. They might also be used for Italy-Africa and German-Russia.....a/c on each route will never be in the same airspace.

niknak
7th Mar 2005, 23:37
and for the Jerez operation, it is highly likely that the 07xx and 023 batch of squawks are designated to the particular ATC unit in Spain who provide you with a radar service.
Occassionally, at certain atc units, individual squawks are permantly assigned to individual aircraft, this means that instead of seeing just the squawk on the radar screen, ATC will see the aircraft registration or flight number.
This is the same principle as the Orcam scheme, or an ATC unit that has computer gernerated squawks.

C3PO
11th Mar 2005, 18:38
Evening everybody

NW3,

You can find out how the Spanish code allotment method works
here (http:/http://www.aena.es/csee/ccurl/le_ENR_1_6_1_to_18_en.pdf/) (it's a pdf doc, have a look at page 12) .
The codes you mention arent within the range code provided by SACTA (Spanish ORCAM) in the Seville ACC, but you have to bear in mind those are used for comercial flights, military and SAR operations only.

Question, Does anybody know the average age of people who finally get into the College of ATCO's in Bournemouth.

Cheers and regards,

C3PO

niknak
11th Mar 2005, 20:07
No, but the average age of the instructors is 103.:E :p :E

Lon More
12th Mar 2005, 11:48
Ah, but Niknak, youth and enthusiasm is no match for age and experience :O

Lon More, here before Pontius was a pilot or Mortus a rigger

NW3
12th Mar 2005, 12:31
many thanks for the replies. will have a read.

NW3

SirToppamHat
12th Mar 2005, 19:32
My understanding (please correct if I am wrong) is that Pennine Radar no longer exists?

The subject came up the other day at work, during a discussion about the way in which units are allocated M3As for their own use. The ENR shows that Pennine is still allocated 6310-6327.

STH

Hippy
12th Mar 2005, 20:01
Sir Topster,
You are correct, Pennine radar no longer exists. Those nice peeps at Manch resectorised after the big North East airspace restructure last year and they got a whole load more Class A. The Pennine task was handed back to London Radar. I quess the squawk allocation will be given to someone else when they find a needy recipient (Finningly maybe?)