PDA

View Full Version : Airports for Lincoln?

Rupert S
5th Mar 2005, 21:04
I need to visit Lincoln in the next few weeks. Can anyone tell me which the best airport is for this? I'll be arriving and and leaving on the same day.

Chilli Monster
5th Mar 2005, 21:09
Nearest is Wickenby, though it's still a way out of town. You'll need transport to and from there.

Failing that there's always Waddington if you can get PPR and are happy with MoD landing Fees - wouldn't count on it though.

Rupert S
5th Mar 2005, 21:12
Chilli, I haven't got a flight guide with me. What are the MoD landing/handling charges likely to be? I need to go up for a meeting so the time saved may be worth it.

...more specificaly, I need to be in Horncastle.

Chilli Monster
5th Mar 2005, 22:05
Horncastle - then Wickenby is your best bet, still 15 miles by road though (can't see anywhere closer).

Give them a ring and let them know what time you'll be there and no doubt they'll tee up a taxi for you.

BEagle
6th Mar 2005, 06:10
Perhaps try asking the folk who own East Kirkby aerodrome whether you could land there? It's 8 miles from Horncastle.
[email protected] may be worth a try - it's the home of the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage centre at East Kirkby.

Pie Man
6th Mar 2005, 06:22
If they will let you land Coningsby is only 7 miles from Horncastle.

Regards

Pie

tmmorris
6th Mar 2005, 10:58
RAF is no longer quoted in VFR flight guide but is something like £30 all in for a PA28 - but you can reduce this if you fax in advance proof of £7.5m third party cover, I think. Ring Ops at Coningsby for details.

If you do use Coningsby for goodness' sake read up on military procedures & RT first... not difficult but they will expect crisp, clear RT and accurate, small, oval circuits; plus you will need to understand the standard join via Initials.

Tim

Rupert S
6th Mar 2005, 13:57
Sadly I only have £5,000,000 third party cover so I suppose it'll be around the £30 mark. Not terrible.
Thanks for your help.

VP8
6th Mar 2005, 14:37
Coningsby ops 01526-247716 ext 2061

Waddo ops 01522-727451 ext 6532/7301

If interested

VEEPS :ok:

drauk
6th Mar 2005, 16:46
If you want to research some of the smaller strips nearby this list would be a starting point:

http://fly.dsc.net/u/Info?id=14706918&limit=30

muffin
6th Mar 2005, 17:00
East Kirkby is a good concrete strip but rather narrow. The landing fee is £25 payable at the museum shop. Don't blame them for it, it goes to the farmer who owns the strip. Note that the strip is NOT the big wide main runway extension but the old peri track to the South side of it. Plenty long enough for most aircraft though.

If you don't like the look of the peri track, land on the main runway and just say you didn't know if anybody asks. I did and other than a mild grumble they were OK. It is used for motorbike stunt training, but the instructor is a pilot himself and is OK about it.

BEagle
6th Mar 2005, 20:46
£25 to land on a taxyway?

I know that many farmers are grasping so-and-sos, but that's just taking the pi$$!

Suppose he has to pay for his next 4 x 4 somehow...eh, dook?