PDA

View Full Version : BMI319's cockpit noise in cabin

simfly
5th Mar 2005, 20:54
This is not something that worries me as I'm a frequent flyer and PPL holder, but may concern others who don't like flying....
I was flying into ABZ in row 4 on one of BMI's new A319s and was able to clearly hear the altitude coundown, autopilot disconnect etc etc. Like I've said, these sound familiar to me after seeing various airbus sims in action, and jumpseating in them, but what concerns me is if the nervious pax who knows nothing about the aircraft is hearing these, or other sounds. I enjoyed the service and comfort on BMI very much, this being the return flight of my first times with BMI, but wonder if anybody else has the same concern as me on this matter.
regards
si

Bealzebub
5th Mar 2005, 21:36
These audio alerts are for the flight deck crew, and given that the door isn't designed to be soundproof, it does happen that passengers in the forward rows might hear audio output from the flight deck fixed volume speakers.

I don't think it is likely to bother many people. Those that are nervous flyers are nervous flyers in any event. There are many sounds and events that might bother them, but that is the reality of flying and they have to put up with it.

Localiser Green
6th Mar 2005, 00:14
Reminds me of (quite clearly) hearing the "TRAFFIC, TRAFFIC" alert in the first row of a BA763 into JFK a few years ago.

Like Bealzebub said, without "soundproofed" flightdeck doors there is little you can do about it. Personally I find it quite interesting but I appreciate the idea that nervous fliers may be disturbed by this.

But then if you sit them further back they will have even clearer views of the speedbrake deployment, flap and reverse thrust activation, etc... these are all just as "operational" in nature and would potentially worry a new / nervous flier.

I have personally witnessed a passenger screaming and frightened for their life when sat slightly behind a 737-200 wing on reverse thrust application after landing, I feel the same applies in this case.

They just have to "get used to it"!

A300Man-2005
6th Mar 2005, 08:11
I hear that noise all the time on almost every flight that I do as a passenger, but only on an Airbus (319/320/321/300/330/340), given that I am usually seated near the front. Don't seem to hear it on a Boeing though.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Mar 2005, 09:53
Some airlines (well, at least one) have liveR/T available on one of the audio channels. Flying out of Heathrow we could all hear the crew discussing a problem with their engineering dept. It concluded along the lines.. " We don't think there's anything wrong and we're pretty sure there's enough oil......" It was strangely quiet on that 2 engine plane across the Atlantic!

Max Angle
6th Mar 2005, 22:34
The alert sounds are a bit loud on the flight deck to be honest, I know they are supposed to get your attention but some of them are a bit OTT really. When I am sitting down the back I am always a bit suprised how well they carry into the cabin through the very thick door.

It was strangely quiet on that 2 engine plane across the Atlantic! Not as quiet as if there hadn't been enough oil I suppose. Keep RT for pilots and ATCOs and the latest Hugh Grant or James Bond for the passengers I think.

Charles Darwin
6th Mar 2005, 22:41
I hear that noise all the time on almost every flight that I do as a passenger, but only on an Airbus (319/320/321/300/330/340), given that I am usually seated near the front. Don't seem to hear it on a Boeing though.

Not to wonder about that. Boeing drowns all conversation in air condition noise (757).

ETOPS
7th Mar 2005, 08:10
A young lady of my aquaintance was sitting at door 1L when our A319's were first introduced. Not having had much Airbus experience she was very startled to her the "retard" call in the flare. She thought it was the Captain shouting "Land hard!" :D

Charles Darwin
9th Mar 2005, 20:24
She thought it was the Captain shouting "Land hard!"

It could actually have been a lot worse. The captain calling his copilot "retard". :D

Ray Darr
10th Mar 2005, 12:06
(Airbus example):

Whenever the PA from the front office coincides with a "ding!" (Master Caution alert tone) or an even more attention-getting Master Warning, it always gets a few chuckles from the deadheading (positioning) or flight-crew. Even more chuckles when the one MAKING the PA hesitates mid-word to have a glance at WTF is going on. :O ...Of course, these are usually non-emergency, but still the operating crew is on THAT side of the door and they can see what the ding's are all about (usually!)...

YES, many of these alarms are OTT, both in the cockpit and the cabin. Heck, I get startled as a passenger when that darn seat-belt "DING!" happens! Scares the bejeezus out of me sometimes!

Mr. Airbus, TEAR DOWN THESE (loud) DINGS! (with apologies to Ronnie Reagan...)

Cheers,
Ray Darr