PDA

View Full Version : Courses in the UK preparatory to flying in the USA

BroomstickPilot
3rd Mar 2005, 10:28
A year or so ago, I seem to remember seeing some courses advertised in the UK flying magazines for people intending to fly in US airspace.

The courses were held somewhere in England and the idea was to acquaint UK pilots in advance with US airspace regulations and US charts and US radio telephone procedure.

Does anyone please know anything about these courses? Are they still held? Where? Who organises them?

Alternatively, are there any publications for UK pilots that would help us prepare for flight in US airspace?

Anyone know anything about this?

Broomstick.

FlyingForFun
3rd Mar 2005, 12:26
Sorry, I don't know details of the course you're talking about.

Personally, though, I wouldn't bother. If you're thinking of going to the US to hire an aircraft and do some flying, you will need a checkout by the schools instructors first, just as you would in any school around the world. And you will need a BFR in order for your FAA license to be valid. You should be able to pick up all the differences whilst getting checked out and doing the BFR (which, incidentally, can and should be combined). To do anything else beforehand, I would guess, would be wasting your money.

Just my opinion.....

FFF
------------

B2N2
3rd Mar 2005, 17:21
As an instructor in the USA, I would recommend the following:
Through Sporty's or any of the other ones order a copy of the FAR-AIM.
(Federal Avaition Regulations and Airman Info Manual).
All the US regs and more.
A lot of usefull reading before you come over. Know your airspaces.
You can order online a radio simulator program called "Comm 1 VFR"
which is great for practice since the procedures vary a bit from the UK.
Other then that a good Flight review and a checkout should be enough to garantee trouble free flying.
I wouldn't say a course is really necessary.
:ok:

fescalised portion
3rd Mar 2005, 17:52
I have a similar question. I am currently completing my FAA ratings in the USA and want to use them in the UK. Is there any such familiarisation courses or training available in the UK? If I was to go up with an instructor, how long would it take to get used to the procedural differences etc...