PDA

View Full Version : What age does one become a 'captain'?

arpansingla
3rd Mar 2005, 09:02
Hello, i understand you can only become a Captain (completing your ATPL) once you have clocked up 1500 hours flying time. I was just wondering at what ages did pilots on PPrune become captains, perhaps there is an average age?

Flying Clog
3rd Mar 2005, 10:02
Got Command at 25, with 3500 hours, on medium jet in the UK.

arpansingla
3rd Mar 2005, 11:03
Flying Clog, please check your PM's.

Pilot Pete
3rd Mar 2005, 11:07
Depends on a great deal of factors. Just a few;

1. Age you started flying.
2. Age when you got your first job as an S/O or F/O.
3. How many hours you had when you got your first job.
4. How many hours you fly per year.
5. Minimum number of hours required by your company to be considered for command.
6. Number of commands available in your airline over time. (In a seniority based system it is even more relevant).
7. Airline expansion or contraction due to market forces.
8. Whether you take the command in one of your first airlines or move on to a better job before becoming a captain.
9. Willingness to 'go anywhere' or not to get the command.
10. World events.

And I am sure there are many more besides. In my case, I started flying in 1997 at the age of 30, first airline F/O position at 34 and am just about to get my first command (airline as opposed to single crew ops) at the age of 37. Not overly fast, but remember 9/11 was tucked in the middle of all that. Having said that, time to command in my company was 15 years as little as 12 months ago....... unfortunate for those who joined 15 years ago as they have just got their commands and I have only been there 2 years with a good chance of it due to fleet expansion and willingness to go wherever.

PP

arpansingla
3rd Mar 2005, 11:13
Pilot Pete, please check your PM's.

Bealzebub
3rd Mar 2005, 11:18
Age isn't really relevant. It depends on your assesed suitability and maturity. This is the criteria applied after you have qualified for consideration by satisfying the companies laid down qualifications.

enicalyth
3rd Mar 2005, 18:21
Sheesh!

At what age did I what?

Omigosh I am going to have to kill someone!

arpansingla
3rd Mar 2005, 18:31
Calm down enicalyth!

No_Speed_Restriction
3rd Mar 2005, 19:43
-Age isn't really relevant. It depends on your assesed suitability and maturity. This is the criteria applied after you have qualified for consideration by satisfying the companies laid down qualifications.-

Bealzebub, I couldnt of put it better myself.

411A
3rd Mar 2005, 20:20
Direct entry Command on a 4-engine heavy jet aeroplane...age 29....a long time ago.:\

flyA380
3rd Mar 2005, 20:30
Pilot Pete is right: :ok: First you have to be lucky. The airline you're in must be doing upgrades to captain, and your number (seniority) must be up at that time.
Only then, you can start the training to command.
In that training, it'll become quickly clear if you have the abilities to actually become a captain.

Good luck to all of you, and pray nobody chooses to fly another aircraft into some large buildings again, or the road to command could become much longer...:uhoh:

Yarpy
7th Mar 2005, 07:35
I got my command aged 39 and held it for 18 months. 9/11 saw many changes and I have chosen lifestyle over promotion. This, potentially, puts a command 5 to 7 years away. However . . . Having 'ticked the box' I am no longer particularly 'command hungry'.

18 months in the LHS exposed me to a pretty full range of issues and, I have to say, the novelty of the LHS wears off.

Now . . . If 9/11 had occured when I was still in the RHS I would be running around like a bear with a sore head.

At the end of the day 'Fate is the Hunter' when you embark upon aviation. I am a darned sight luckier than my 4 RAF colleagues who landed too fast in the wrong place.

Old Smokey
7th Mar 2005, 13:43
It will depend almost entirely upon growth and promotion rates within your airline.

One would hope and expect that any First Officer worth his or her salt, would be a very proficient Deputy Captain within 4 to 5 years of service. God help us if they make command in less than that time (unless they've held a command elsewhere).

Regards,

Old Smokey

factanonverba
7th Mar 2005, 19:53
Quite simply, the day or your first solo!