View Full Version : Who does what

gaga1976
3rd Mar 2005, 06:42
I would appreciate some info on who does what during abnormal/emergencies on B737. At my company at the moment we have a lively discussion on the matter and outside info should be valuable in finalising our SOP.
I.e: during engine fire after take-off who is shuting down an engine, PF, PNF, Capt.
and shoulld Capt take-over even if F/O (PF) is dooing a good job.

I beleive this is a perfect case where CRM principles should be used in designing procedure, but I would love to hear from other people.

Touch'n'oops
3rd Mar 2005, 07:33
At my airline it calls for the Captain the take control of the aircraft in emergency, however it is up to captain to choose when this is appropriate.

We drill for the PF to intiate engine shut down.
E.g. Fire bell after V1:

P.F: (at or above 600ft) Call for 'Engine Fire/Separtion recall items'
and then proceeds to close throttles; Disconnect AT; Start Lever to Idle Cut-off... All actions confirmed by PNF. After this is completed PF calls for continuation of recall items, which is carried out by the PNF.

Sorry got to run, will add more later!

alexban
3rd Mar 2005, 19:06
On our comp:
The f/o will remain PF if it was PF before the emergency.
The cpt will not assign f/o as PF if a emergency is on course and cpt is PF.
In case of eng fire:
After V1-cancel fire bell (PNF)
Above 400' ,a/c under controll,gear up -PF calls for the recall items on eng fire/sev damage & separation ,and after checking with the PNF the correct engine selected ,disengage a/t &reduce thrust then dictate the rest of the recalls and PNF executes-start levers,fire switch....
Check the QRH ,CI for recomendations regarding use of checklists.
Brgds Alex

Touch'n'oops
4th Mar 2005, 02:40
I believe the Captain should take control once the emergency has been delt with and the aircraft is returning for landing.

If the captain takes control too early his/her decision making will be slower and less thought will be given to his/hers actions. Manually flying the aircraft requires the concentration that could be better spent on making good decisions!

Let the F/O fly (as long as he is handling it well) and the Captain carry out check-lists and radio work. Because the Captain has the final say, it would be easier if he/she gave intentions directly to the controller not through a worked up F/O.

chink... chink!!!... There's my two cents worth!!!!

Dualcouple
4th Mar 2005, 13:17
Our company:

PF responsibilities:

flight path & airspeed control
a/c configuration
navigation

PNF:

monitoring
checklists
actions requested by PF

Both pilots may carry out memory items.

If COP is PF, duties must be changed after clean up. In all cases CDR shall perform approach and landing.

earnest
4th Mar 2005, 16:32
What if the weather dictates the use of a monitored approach?