PDA

View Full Version : UK Registered C-130's

brain fade
2nd Mar 2005, 20:20
Why is it that you never see a G- xxxx Hercules?

Someone told me they were banned from the UK register due to unusual wing construction, ie construction is 'unitary' with no conventional spar(s). Is that correct or cowrong?

Ta BF

taffman
3rd Mar 2005, 12:05
CAA dont like the crew entrance door.

Taffman

brain fade
16th Mar 2005, 01:44
Why would that count for a freighter?

lscajp
16th Mar 2005, 03:29
How else would the crew board the aircraft?

taffman
16th Mar 2005, 10:51
It is the way it fits in the hole they dont like and the fact it can be opened in flight by just either using the door handle or the emergency jettison. Any one who has had a donk on the head by it whilst standing outside with the aircraft still pressurised will say how easy and fast the door opens.

Taffman:ouch:

brain fade
16th Mar 2005, 10:58
thanks, Taff:ok:

Dave Gittins
16th Mar 2005, 12:29
Seems strange to me that the UK armed forces have used C130's since lord knows when, but there are none on the civil register ... due apparently to the CAA disliking the crew entrance.

Surely with the Herc's superlative record throughout the world the CAA are being a little harsh ????

It seems to imply that the safety of civilian crews gets greater importance than that of military crews.

Or perhaps nobody has asked to register a UK Herc ???

TheOddOne
16th Mar 2005, 13:04
There's an Irish-registered C-130 resident at LGW which does a nightly flight for Royal Mail.

Our other major freight operator at LGW, DASAir uses 4 x DC10 a/c 3 of which are registered in Uganda and the other is on the North American register.

A major operator of passenger a/c in the UK has EI-reg a/c. Another smaller operator has TF-reg machines.

I am aware that the UK CAA 'keep an eye' on all operators, whether on the UK or other registers. In theory, of course, all ICAO contracting States shoud be operating to similar rules so there shouldn't be any significant problems....should there?

TheOddOne

Skytrucker
16th Mar 2005, 13:19
Can you imagine registering something as complex as a C-130 with the Campaign Against Aviation. It must go something along the lines of:

Ring ring, ring ring, "Thank you for calling, your call is held in a queue, please have you credit card details to hand"

Sometime that week!

"CAA"

Ah! Good Morning.

Good afernoon.

Is it. Goodness me how time flies listening to baroque filled continuous loop. I'd like to register a C-130 on the UK register please.

Certainly ching ching sir.

Can you send me the paperwork.

Ching ching of course ching sir.

Do you think there will be a problem?

What with?

Outward opening doors!

CH CH CH CHING!!! Have to look into that . May take a while.

Fire Bottles!

CH CH CH CH CHING!!

Sideways seats!!

CCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHING!

Only one fire exit in the back!!!

KERF*****GCHING

No way of fitting a flight deck door

KERHUMUNGOUSMINGINCHING!

No Problem sir, except,

Except what?

You appear to be bankrupt already!! Thank you for calling. Goodbye.

:D

Anyone asked about C-17 yet?