PDA

View Full Version : Maximum duration between radar instructions?

JABBARA
1st Mar 2005, 21:43
In my old Air Force Days, while being instructed for GCA approach , if we could not hear any instruction longer than 1 min break at downwind and 5 seconds break at final, it was assumed that a commmunication failure occured and that was a reason for Go around.

Of course I have tried to find out the answer to the following question in my library but the result is nil. Now I am expecting the answer from you wise guys.

The question is:
While being radar vectored at low altitude for an approcah, how long I should wait without a vectoring instruction before assuming a communication failure occured? So I can decide what to do next; a Go Around or flying the published Communication Failure procedure.

Thank you in advance

Pub User
2nd Mar 2005, 11:31
May I suggest that if you become concerned about communication failure, you should transmit a 'radio check' before deciding between Go Around and Comm's Fail procedures?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Mar 2005, 12:10
Agree with Pub User... you have a radio; don't be scared to use it! There are no such procedures in civvy street - at Heathrow there are often long delays in transmissions on some frequencies and it is not unusual for pilots to sensibly enquire "Are you still there?"

Don't take any action yourself unless you have positively determined that there is a radio failure. If you believe the problem to be at the ATC unit do try another frequency (if one is available) before doing anything too drastic.