PDA

View Full Version : TU-154 lands on a taxiway in BCN

crisidebrian
27th Feb 2005, 23:56
It seems that it landed this afternoon on twy "T", parallel to rwy 25R. It was the second app, in the first one, they also intended to land on that TWY but there was a LH traffic on it, so they went around and came back to land (and did so) on the same TWY!! Touched down by T-2.

Anyone got more info on that?

A link to the airport's diagram

http://www.aena.es/csee/ccurl/le_AD_2_lebl_gmc_1-1_en,1.pdf

Few Cloudy
28th Feb 2005, 09:50
That link is kind of a huge download cris.

Any other plans? there was only one RY25 when I used to fly there.

WindSheer
28th Feb 2005, 10:10
This couldn't have happened, surely!

Although given the technology in the TU-154, there would be nothing to point out the mistake. Looking at the plates they would have taken the ILS or VOR app - they obviously didn't take any and flew visual. But, they would have had everything tuned for the ILS/VOR so surely one of the flightdeck would have noticed the deviation off track??

Seems a bit odd to me.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Feb 2005, 10:15
Do they not have radar at the place?

Few Cloudy
28th Feb 2005, 10:26
Well hang about - it isnīt that rare and has happened a couple of times at Gatwick, to my knowledge.

crisidebrian
28th Feb 2005, 10:37
Heard the story from a witness, but I don't have further details. It also seems odd to me.
RWY 25L-07R was finished just two months ago (now the taxi procedures are chaotic)
And yes, they do have radar.

nopoal
28th Feb 2005, 15:09
Hi guys,

Last time I was there the PAPI and Ils of the 25R were U/S. So these facts + others have cause that terrible incident.

Spain is different

learner001
28th Feb 2005, 16:16
Donot have any illusions . . .

I can very well imagine this (has happened . . .)

The circumstances (reconstruction of airport) are well set for a scenario . . .

LOC, VOR, ADF or full ILS doesnot matter. . .

From a few miles out it looks odd sometimes . . .

And 'radiolines' are not necessarily straight lines all the time . . .

What about sun position, vsby etc. etc. etc. . . .

In the last couple of months it also happened to me almost two times, that I was inadvertently aiming for the same taxiway . . . :ouch:

rgds, learner . . .;)

surely not
28th Feb 2005, 17:49
So is this a confirmed happening or is it still a 'rumour'?

TheOddOne
28th Feb 2005, 18:06
Well hang about - it isnīt that rare and has happened a couple of times at Gatwick, to my knowledge.

Yes, twice, unfortunately. Both excellent examples of human factors drawing people into making wrong decisions for what they thought at the time were all the right reasons. It took us a while to work out what those were and to put things right, along with much improved electronic alerting backup to allow ATC to monitor the situation and avert the same thing happening again.

I'd be MOST interested to find out what the causes of this incident are, in case there's something else we've missed and can pick up on. Just 'cos it hasn't happened again for 15 years doesn't mean it isn't lurking just around the corner, ready to bite us in the bum once more!

For those of you who don't know, the so-called Northern Runway at LGW (08L/26R) is only used when the main runway (08R/26L) is closed, usually for maintenance at night. The rest of the time it's a taxiway with green c/l lighting. There's ALSO a parallel taxiway, Juliet, which also features green c/l lighting. You're WAY ahead of me, arean't you! On both occasions, pilots landed on Juliet, thinking it was 08L/26R, because they saw a line of green lights, just as they always did by the side of the active runway. Fortunately, neither of these incidents resulted in any physical damage or injury, though there was plenty of mental stress for those involved.

Suffice it to say, you can no longer see a line of green lights when landing on the Northern Runway at LGW, but magically you DO get a green route in the opposite direction, selectable for approaches from either end. When the main is in use, however, the green routes are visible both ways, just like everywhere else. Very clever stuff.

Cheers,
TheOddOne

Kalium Chloride
28th Feb 2005, 20:15
So is this a confirmed happening or is it still a 'rumour'?

Yes it's real. I've just read a news report about it.

PakoSpain
1st Mar 2005, 19:16
http://img217.exs.cx/img217/4646/img0580b1xz.jpg

quickturnaround
1st Mar 2005, 19:27
Intresting picture..............

But it was a thing that was just waiting to happen. if you are unfamiliar at BCN with reduced visibility these things happen quickly. Last time I was there, only VOR/DME on 25 R available, in marginal wx and NO papi.......

With all the construction going on there, one has to be very, very carefull.
But it can happen somewhere else too as last months incident at Seattle's seatac made clear.

Safe flying to BCN!, by the way they make great expresso's in the terminal, lots better than the junk we get on board.:sad: