PDA

View Full Version : Owning a Permit aircraft

PeterJfrancis
27th Feb 2005, 14:28
I'm recently got my NPPL (at last ! ) and I'm looking for a cheap way to build hours. I'm into flying purely for the fun of it , I don't want to make a career of it (too old now anyway).
What are the day to day practicalities of owning a permit aircraft?

I've seen a number for sale recently at very reasonable prices (I don't think my wife would agree but that's another story). I'm thinking particularly about VP-1/2 or a Taylor Monoplane.

What are the typical annual costs for hanger , insurance , permit renewal, maintanence ?
Are there any pitfalls to avoid ?

I don't expect to save money over renting club aircraft, probably the opposite in fact. But I'd hope to get a lot more hours in the air.

Any advise or suggestions would be gratefully received

:O

Genghis the Engineer
27th Feb 2005, 14:51
Buy a share for your first purchase, that way you are surrounded by people who have made the mistakes already. Also you can see running costs in the syndicate accounts.

G

foxmoth
27th Feb 2005, 15:27
I would second the idea of a group aircraft, with 5 of us in a group round a Falconar (similar to a Jodel) 2 seater it worked out about £40/hour for flying about 65hrs/year (£20/hour for fuel etc. the rest for the fixed costs). This is airfield based, if you could get it on a farm strip it would come down even cheaper.

cubflyer
27th Feb 2005, 19:33
Peter,
I think you will find that you will save quite a lot over renting club aircraft if you fly a lot- more than 30-40 hours per year. You will also have a lot better availability as well as probably a more fun aircraft to fly.
Ive not flown many single seaters, although a few people fly them a lot, many get quite low utilisation, maybe because you cant take much with you in many of them. Maybe a better bet is as others have said, to get into a group. As well as reducing the cost, and learning from others, you might find that you can share flying and go further afield with someone else a little more experienced. A Jodel is probably the perfect aircraft for a low time pilot wanting to do a bit of cheap flying around and a bit of touring. But there are plenty of others to choose from depending on what you want.
You should go along to the PFA Mid Kent strut meetings, I think they are near Maidstone, not to far away, there you will meet plenty of people owning and operating permit aircraft. You could also go along to Rochester or Farthing Corner where there are quite a few cheap permit aircraft being operated. I know some of the guys at farthing conrner and they go all over in their Jodels.

Good luck!

Mike Cross
27th Feb 2005, 20:00
I echo the advice on joining a group.

We have four in our group and I can mostly fly whenever I want. One quarter of the fixed costs is not to be sneezed at. We do most of the maintenance ourselves under the supervision of an LAE which means we have an intimate knowledge of the machine.

shortstripper
27th Feb 2005, 21:22
Another echo,

I'm in the same group as Foxmoth (HY should be done Monday BTW group :ok: ) and have to say it is a great way to keep flying. Most groups have a broad range of experience that you can benefit from and be a part of. I can speak as a sole owner flying from a farm strip as well, so I'm not entirely biased. To begin with, join a group, learn from those with more experience, share flights (and costs) and feel your feet. If you later want to go it alone, all well and good, but be prepared for a more lonely existance! That's not to say there's anything wrong with being a sole owner, and certainly nothing wrong with small single seaters (I've had three now), but I do think a share is the better way to start out.

SS

Tango Oscar
28th Feb 2005, 08:21
Peter,

Check your PM's

SlipSlider
28th Feb 2005, 20:30
I'd also recommend starting off with a group share. I've said before that in my view a group of 2 is the best, it gives the biggest reduction in fixed costs (50%) for the least loss of access.

A share in a two-seater is likely to give you more hours than a single-seater; with the right partner(s) you will be encouraged to go further, more often, sharing costs and gaining experience. Much more dedication is required to stick at a single-seater unless its a very capable aeroplane or for a specific task like a Pitts.

Being a sole owner is actually quite a responsibility, there is a lot to do and no-one immediately alongside to talk things over with, or chivvy you along. Some people find it too much of a burden.

If an Aeronca Champ is of interest (like a Cub, only much much better and certainly less expensive to buy .... :D ) PM me, I may be able to put you in touch with someone in your area.

Slip