PDA

View Full Version : JAA PPL/IR

Hampstead
27th Feb 2005, 09:58
There's an organisation in the back of PILOT magazine advertising a modular JAA SE IR that can be done start to finish in 2-3 weeks (assuming you have the right medical and have passed the theory). Is this a realistic timeframe ? I'm no expert at all but would have assumed it to take longer than 2 weeks ?

Timothy
27th Feb 2005, 11:13
When I did it it was CAA, but the syllabus was much the same and I did it in less than two weeks, full time. Four days on the sim and about seven or eight in aircraft, from what I remember. It was hard work, but quite doable.

englishal
27th Feb 2005, 16:42
Don't know why it shouldn't be possible....3-4 weeks would sound about right.....

But a friend of mine recently converted his IR at Bournemouth and it took about a month. It boiled down to about 1 hour per day, 10 in the Sim and 7 or so in the aircraft. Not sure why it took so long, he couldn't understand it either, and seeing as he was paying for digs in Bournemouth wasn't too chuffed about it.

They only fly monday to friday apparently, which seems terribly British ;) Had it been in the states, it could have been bashed out in three days.....but there you go ;)

Autofly
1st Mar 2005, 07:25
Do you need a Class 1 to be a PPL with an IR? Another question, where is it and how much. Sounds interesting!

ThePirateKing
1st Mar 2005, 07:47
Autofly,

You can do a PPL/IR with just a class 2 medical, but you do need to have a night rating (or a CPL).

See my longish post towards the end of this page: PPRUNE thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=151451&perpage=15&pagenumber=2)

Rgds

TPK:ok:

2Donkeys
1st Mar 2005, 08:09
You do need to meet the standard required for Class 1 hearing though (your AME can perform this check). That does catch a few people out.

2D