PDA

View Full Version : How to Organise Tower Visit for NATS interviews.

Shaft109
27th Feb 2005, 02:50
Although it is really cocky asking this before i have even done the first stage tests how do you organise a tower visit - preferrably at Manchester. Obviously I could fumble around in the dark phoning up all sorts of people to arange one but would be very grateful to you PPRuNers if you could point me in the right direction.

As for the tests (yes, another thread on NATS tests) what's the single most important piece of advice you could give me for the first stage?
(i actaully went to apply in Jan 2002 but picking the date right when my degree workload was highest wasn't my best decision!).

Thanks for your time Guys (and indeed Gals).

P.S. Can you select TWR or AREA or do they just stream you according to demand?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Feb 2005, 07:03
<<Obviously I could fumble around in the dark phoning up all sorts of people to arrange one >>

That would be showing initiative, like I did when I was a kid! Ring the airport... ask to speak to the ATC Supervisor and tell him the story. If it's a weekend there's a 90% chance you'll be successful. I know that - I've been one of those supervisors!

Good luck and I wish you all the best with the career.

PPRuNe Radar
27th Feb 2005, 12:01
That would be showing initiative

As would using 'Search' ;) Manchester folks have answered this a few times in the past.

Shaft109
27th Feb 2005, 13:14
Sorry let me clarify what i meant. I wanted to know what person to ask for when phoning in order to get the right person first time without being passed around adminsitrators or other deskies like a flea ridden dog. Thanks to H. D. he knew what i meant.

I have been before but a friend organised it for me (and i can't get hold of him) but that was pre 9/11 so i'm sure things have been tighted up since then.

cdb
28th Feb 2005, 18:19
Read the answers people have given you! You're hardly going to get put through to someone on console, so its one of the "adminsitrators or other deskies" like the watch manager that you'll have to ask! Getting transferred between people like a "flea ridden dog" is hardly a lot of effort, is it? Good luck validating with an attitude like that!

Since I'm feeling generous, the watch manager's number is 0161 499 5320. Its from the AIP, a document you'll come to love if you make it.

As to your second question, whether you go aerodrome/approach/area depends on many things, of which your preference really doesn't matter. You do get to fill out a form specifying your preference near the end of the first term.

God, I sound like an old b***ard today.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Feb 2005, 18:28
<<God, I sound like an old b***ard today.>>

Yep...

italianjon
1st Mar 2005, 19:36
For fear of being told to Foxtrot Oscar! and look else where on the forum... I live about 10 minutes from Heathrow... Anyone by chance have the number for the Supervisor, or any other person I could call to try and arrange a visit.

My NATS Interview is on the 17th March, booked today (01/03/05), so it is a little short notice.

Thanks

Jon

littlemisskel
1st Mar 2005, 22:35
To add to Italianjon, just wondering, as I have been given my final interview in 10 days time, is it essential to have visited a tower prior to this?
I am doing all the research and reading I can but I think it is too short notice to get a visit. Will this affect my chances? If so, would it be worth me rescheduling the interview?
:confused:

Thanks,

Kel

spekesoftly
2nd Mar 2005, 01:21
would it be worth me rescheduling the interview?

Considering the number of posts on PPRuNe bemoaning how often such interviews have been cancelled / changed / deferred etc, by NATS themselves, I would stick with your existing appointment! If you are determined, you should still be able to arrange a short-notice visit to an ATC unit, following Heathrow Director's advice above.

is it essential to have visited a tower ........?

Try and look at it from an Interviewer's point of view:- Some of the candidates will have made the effort to visit one or more ATC units, (possibly having travelled considerable distances, and at their own expense), and have thereby shown a real interest and enthusiasm for their chosen future career. Others may not have bothered ............ :hmm:

fly bhoy
2nd Mar 2005, 10:13
Italianjon and littlemisskel

check your pm's

FB:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Mar 2005, 10:41
<<I live about 10 minutes from Heathrow... Anyone by chance have the number for the Supervisor, or any other person I could call to try and arrange a visit.>>

For Heaven's sake.. are you totally incapable of picking up a phone, ringing Heathrow Airport and asking for the ATC Manager?

italianjon
2nd Mar 2005, 11:21
Please do not take this the wrong way, but I got the switchboard for Heathrow. (08700 000123 - for reference). I was only asking if anyone had a direct number, save going through the reception route. My intention was to call Heathrow if no-one had provided me with a direct number.

I just feel that sometimes it is better to get through to the right person first time.

PPRuNe Radar
2nd Mar 2005, 13:23
The youth of today .....

Using Search with some key words like 'Heathrow', 'ATC', 'visit', 'contact' and 'Manchester' brought me this from a post in about 2.9 seconds :rolleyes: :p

The following contact Telephone Numbers may be used to obtain details regarding Flight Crew Familiarisation Visits. These numbers are for Flight Crew use ONLY.

LATCC 01895 426176 Jo Clare

SCATCC 01292 692699 Colin McIntyre - (Sim Sup Mgr)

MAN 0161 499 5314 John Evans

LGW 01293 575271 Note: Visits strictly limited to those who genuinely use Gatwick Tower ATC service

STN 01279 669387 Watch Manager

BHX 0121 780 0901 Liz Barlow

LTN 01582 395455 Watch Manager

EDI 0131 339 1888 Colin Hicks - Trg & Ops Mgr

GLA 0141 840 8029 Duty Watch Manager

ABZ 01224 723714

BHD 01849 422955

CWL 01446 712575

Whilst I know some of the people involved have no doubt moved on, and there is no Swanwick number (I didn't use that in the Search admittedly), and it refers to aircrew (prospective ATCO students are always just as welcome in my experience), at least it gives people a starting point. Just use a bit of nouse, you'll need lots of it when you become an ATCO :ok:

Gonzo
2nd Mar 2005, 17:35
ATC contact numbers can be found under each airfield's entry in the AIP, published by the Aeronautical Information Service

AIS (http://www.ais.org.uk)

It costs nothing to register.

PPRuNe Radar, perhaps that could go in the sticky up top?