PDA

View Full Version : GPS approaches at last !

A and C
26th Feb 2005, 20:11
For those of you with IFR APP aproved gps the moment that you have all been waiting for................A GPS approach near home.

As of 25 feb runway 08 at Lille has a published GPS approach , with the GPS approach approved for aircraft with an instalation that meets the TSO there is now no reason why UK registered private aircraft cant use this approach.

I'm just wondering with GPS approaches aproverd so close to the UK much longer can the CAA keep its head in the sand !.

www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4P041.PDF

Is well worth a look at !

IO540
27th Feb 2005, 07:41
A and C

Did you intend to post that CAA document? It is dated 2002, and appears to set out some sort of a mixture of official and unofficial view on the subject. Like so much other CAA material.

Stupidly one can't copy/paste from that document, but take 3.1.3.1 for example: "Operations shall be predicated on the radio navigation equipment required by the operating rules for IFR operations". What does this mean, given that you could be in CAS and yet be outside the DOC of any navaid?

bookworm
27th Feb 2005, 15:49
Germany has had GPS approaches for several years, but their use requires special crew certification from the LBA, which is rather hard to get unless you're based there. There are a few airfields where these are the only IAPs available.

I can't see any similar requirement mentioned on the SIA plate for Lille, but I'm not sure that the requirement doesn't exist, either.

A and C
27th Feb 2005, 18:50
Having given this thing a bit of thinking about it would seem that the CAA have been sidelined by all this and are no longer relivent !

My aircraft maintenance is controled by EASA the approach plates are all JAA ( published by Jeppesen ) and my licence is issued I.A.W. with the JAA.

So who are these people at the CAA to say that an EASA Maintained aircraft with a JAA licenced pilot cant fly an approach published by a JAA state !.

I would just love to see them try to take action to stop people with the proper GPS equipment flying an published approach as the whole aviation legislation system is in such a state of flux I don't think any one in Aviation house knows quite what is going on or what regulations apply and to who.

2Donkeys
27th Feb 2005, 19:46
You'll find the approach plate by Clicking here (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/METROPOLE/AIRAC/IAC/IAC%20AD%202.LFQQ_AD%202%20LFQQ%20IAC%2007.PDF)

For the avoidance of doubt, this procedure does not go live until March 17th 2005, and not February 25th as implied earlier.

2D

matspart3
28th Feb 2005, 07:01
Top right of the chart still says NDB required....

2Donkeys
28th Feb 2005, 08:11
Ironic... but the NDB is for the missed approach only.

2D