PDA

View Full Version : IMC Rating on non UK licence

dublinpilot
26th Feb 2005, 16:46
Is it possible to add an IMC rating onto a JAR licence issued by the Irish Aviation Authority?

Obviously the CAA couldn't amend my IAA issued licence, but can they issue me a new piece of paper, saying I've completed an IMC course, and have an IMC rating?

I'm aware that I'd only be able to exercise the privileges within UK airspace.

I'm not really interested in transferring my licence from the IAA to the CAA, in case anyone suggests that!

It's just a thought, as I consider how to reduce the adverse effects of the weather on my flying!

I'm assuming it can't be done, but thought I'd ask you guys, just in case!

dp

englishal
26th Feb 2005, 17:15
No they won't.....

I asked if they would issue an IMC rating to an FAA license and they replied that they would not. I don't really see why they won't as the IMC rating is a national rating and nothing to do with JAR......But there you go....

I wonder if they would issue an IMC rating to a foreign JAA license holder?

Pianorak
26th Feb 2005, 17:28
I wonder if they would issue an IMC rating to a foreign JAA license holder?
Not sure about that. But a mate of mine (English) tried to have the CAA add an IMC rating to his JAR licence issued by the Belgian aviation authority and the answer was “no”. He’s now transferring his licence to the UK but has to sit the UK R/T licence exam.

dublinpilot
28th Feb 2005, 12:06
Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I thought.

nouseforaname
28th Feb 2005, 14:07
get an faa ir if you want a quick route to fly ifr in ireland. It's a great starter for experience if you want to eventually bite the bullet and get a JAA IR

dublinpilot
28th Feb 2005, 14:58
nufan,

My understanding, is that if I want to use an FAA/IR within Ireland, then I need an N reg.

Unfortunately, I have no access to an N reg aircraft, can't justify the cost of buying my own aircraft, and am very happy with the club I'm with!

englishal
28th Feb 2005, 15:57
F = N doesn't it?;)

dublinpilot
28th Feb 2005, 16:01
Doh! That's the second time I've done that!

For the sake of clarity, I'll amend my previous post.

dp

englishal
28th Feb 2005, 16:29
Whats the Reg of the aircraft? You could ask the IAA if they allow you to fly outside CAS IFR in IMC with an FAA IR in the Irish registered aircraft. The CAA allow it in a G reg, and it may be of some use, you never know.....;)

nouseforaname
2nd Mar 2005, 07:39
Dublin,

If you have a shop around you will probably find somone is operating an Nreg. plane, which is available for hire/lease. It's so much cheaper to run an N.reg. plane you see, only 100hr checks instead of 50hr checks etc.

I do quite a lot of flying in ireland and know there are a few about.

dublinpilot
2nd Mar 2005, 08:51
EA,

It is my understanding that the IAA won't let me use an FAA IR, on an EI reg aircraft. We also don't have an equivalent of an IMC rating :{

Anyway, I've taken your advise, and wrote to the IAA to ask them, in case my understanding is incorrect.

nufan,

You may be right. However, I really like the club that I'm with, and I would be very reluctant to leave it. It's very friendly, not particularly expensive, largely free from bureaucracy, and the access to aircraft for away trips is excellent.

Even if I did have instrument privileges, most of my flying would still be done under VFR.

Given this, I'd find it very hard to change clubs, simply to get a few instrument hours each year.

But thanks for your advice, and taking the time to reply.

dp