PDA

View Full Version : Castle Kennedy, near West Freugh.. any info?

Funkie
24th Feb 2005, 11:54
Hi all,

As it says on the title, I’m looking for some general info on the airfield. The chap is spoke to (Lord Stair I think was his name) was very helpful, but it’s always good to hear what other think.

Thanks in advance.

F.

Website for your info: Castle Kennedy (www.castlekennedyairfield.co.uk)

Fancy Navigator
24th Feb 2005, 16:19
Hi
I have never been there because of bad weather on the day, but the chap I talked to on the phone was very helpful. Whenever the weather gets better, I will definitely try again... Only the 3rd attempt!
FNav

grow45
27th Feb 2005, 22:24
Been trying to visit for a while but weathered off each time. Paid a visit by road yesterday as I was visiting the in laws in Stranraer and felt the need to escape for an hour. Watched a PA28 depart. Runway seems in reasonable condition and some work has beeen done recently on filling in potholes. Nice new windsock in evidence.

There is a 300ft high hill fairly close to the threshold of RWY 26 but the PA28 I watched which used 08 seemed to have no trouble clearing it.

It is fairly close to West Freugh so dont confuse the two. Although the Freugh is no longer active I believe the firing ranges and associated danger areas do still get used so check them out in case you blunder into a live missile firing trial.

Operator is Jamie Dalrymple (Lord Stair) who I understand is a PPL and is keen to see it used.

The Plantings Inn which gets a plug on the website is supposed to be good for food. A number of alternatives in Stranraer or nearby Portpatrick (both a short taxi ride away) are good as well - Crown Inn on the seafront at Portpatrick was Scottish Seafood Restaurant of the Year last year.

grow45