PDA

View Full Version : Is this a first?

FlyingForFun
24th Feb 2005, 08:06
Congratulations to Chris Hindle, a student at my school (not my student, but I have flown with him a couple of times when his instructor has been unavailable).

Yesterday, on his 16th birthday, Chris did his first solo flight after just over 13 hours. A great achievement in itself, but not altogether uncommon.

But then, that evening, he did his first solo night-flight too. :ok:

Does anyone know of any other students who have achieved both their first day solo and their first night solo on their 16th birthday? I'm sure his mum would be even more proud of him if we could establish that he is the first to do this!

FFF
------------

hoey5o
24th Feb 2005, 08:20
Sorry to be a bit confrontational but I dont see going solo at 16 to be particulary special. He is just lucky enough to have well off parents.
(if hes gained sponsorship then well done)

Floppy Link
24th Feb 2005, 08:40
Sorry to be a bit confrontational

If you're sorry why post at all? :rolleyes:

It may not be special to you, but I'll wager it is to him. Do you not recall your first solo, day or night?
Congrats to Chris

High Wing Drifter
24th Feb 2005, 08:44
I dont see going solo at 16 to be particulary special
How very dour :confused: Congratulations to the lad I say :ok:

shortstripper
24th Feb 2005, 08:47
Great! Well done to him!

Just because you solo at 16 doesn't mean you "must" have wealthy parents. Martyn Carrington learned to fly by working his socks off as an airfield erk ... he soloed at 16 and now flies as a well respected display pilot!

SS

dublinpilot
24th Feb 2005, 08:51
He might be lucky enough to have well off parents, but couldn't the same be said that most of us are lucky enough to have jobs that allow us to be able to afford to fly?

I consider attaining my current position in my profession an important achievement. Likewise I consider learning to fly an important achievement. One does not take away from the other. Both are achievement in their own right.

Just because Chris hasn't had the opportunity to prove himself in a career yet, doesn't in anyway take away from his achievement in his flying.

Getting to solo on your 16th birthday might only be an option to those with parents who can afford to support them, but that doesn't in anyway take away from Chris's success.

Hoey, your comment sounds more like jealousy than anything else. Please don't try to take away from this young mans achievement.

But in any case, what I find far more impressive than the fact that he soloed at 16, is the fact that he managed to solo both day and night with only 13 hours experience! That's really impressive to me. :ok:

FFF in answer to your question, I for one, haven't heard of anyone who's done this before.

For what it's worth, I imagine most people who solo at 16, have a lot more than 13 hours which makes his achievement all the more impressive.

Well done Chris;)

dp

Yorks.ppl
24th Feb 2005, 08:52
AMAZING.

no not first night and day solo at 16 (although thats pretty impresive)
no its amazing that it took just 14 mins for the sour, jelous, self righteuos comments to start, (expect lots more)

Well done chris, hell of an achievment:ok:

Better not to mention it on pprune though being 16 and flying an aeroplane is worse than mugging pensioners in some peoples eyes.

:E

YYZ
24th Feb 2005, 09:07
There's always someone ready to put you down:{

Well done Chris, Keep at it!

YYZ

Rod1
24th Feb 2005, 09:14
Chris’s parents were mot flying the aircraft, Chris was!!

Well done young man.

Rod1

hekokimushi
24th Feb 2005, 09:17
can you do night flying training before your PPL?
nelson

TheKentishFledgling
24th Feb 2005, 09:23
Sorry to be a bit confrontational but I dont see going solo at 16 to be particulary special. He is just lucky enough to have well off parents.

Have you ever soloed? How about soloed on your 16th birthday? I can certainly tell you it's something special, in fact one of the most special days of my life so far.

Well done Chris I say - I did the day solo on my 16th (not overly keen on doing night in a SE!) and you should be damned proud of yourself. Don't be put off by idiots - you find them everywhere - even on web bulletin boards!

tKF

Whirlybird
24th Feb 2005, 09:34
(if hes gained sponsorship then well done)

Oh, I see. Light dawns. If his parents paid, it's not an achievement. But if someone else or some organisation did, then it's OK. Is that right, Hoey5o?

What about me then? I learned to fly after an inheritance meant that I could pay off my debts and finally not work all the hours God sends and then some. Does that mean that my PPL(A), PPL(H), CPL(H), and FI rating are...meaningless? And let's see now...a friend sold a house, cashing in on the crazy London property market, and can fund all the qualifications he wants. But of course, when he gets them it'll be nothing special - he was just lucky.

CONGRATULATIONS CHRIS , and don't worry about the jealous illogical idiots.

hoey5o
24th Feb 2005, 09:45
of course well done to the lad, It is an achievement

Power flying in this country is as we all know very very expensive and really only open to the lucky few. Lets not beat about the bush though, most kids who go solo at 16 can only do it because their parents can pay for it. I wish it was different, just think of all the really talented potential young aviators out there who never get the chance because they dont have the money.

Good organisations like the Air League help as much as they can. They helped me for which I am very thankful.
I just find it hard to get excited about someone going solo (power) at 16 because ultimately most kids could if they had the money. The fact is most kids will never get the money but a very lucky few will.

I will always support keen hard working youngsters in aviation and with organisations like the airleague, cadets/RAF etc hopefully as many as possible can get the help they deserve.

TheKentishFledgling
24th Feb 2005, 09:55
I just find it hard to get excited about someone going solo (power) at 16 because ultimately most kids could if they had the money. The fact is most kids will never get the money but a very lucky few will.

So what? Another pilot, however their licence is funded is another pilot - this should be celebrated whatever.

Sorry, but I really don't see your argument as valid.

tKF

Aussie Andy
24th Feb 2005, 10:22
Ignore the sour grapes mate - well done!

Andy :ok:

Lowtimer
24th Feb 2005, 10:46
TkF's point is well made. The inception of a new pilot in the UK enrichens us ALL and works in all our interests. Yes, there could be LOTS more pilots soloing at age 16, and in an ideal world there would be. One of the things I try very hard to do in my flying is encourage others, and give them air experience, tried to show them what a wonderful activity flying is - especially if they are young and short of cash. Some of those have gone on to get their licences, and I hope they will in turn "pay it forward" to the next generation.

As far as I can see, apathy / lack of motivation can be just as much a barrier as money, and however Chris has come by the means to do his training, the effort and the motivation came from within. Congratulations, Chris, and welcome.

Frank Furillo
24th Feb 2005, 10:46
Could not agree more, Well done Chris, you will Never forget that day. Good on ya lad
FF

ALEXA
24th Feb 2005, 11:37
Hoey 5o said:-

"I just find it hard to get excited about someone going solo (power) at 16 because ultimately most kids could if they had the money."

Most kids? On their 16th birthday? Really!

Not so. It takes attitude, ability and considerable maturity, as well as funds.

I just don't see why you should even try to detract from this youngster's wonderful achievement.

Lets keep class war out of this forum!

Another St Ivian
24th Feb 2005, 13:15
First off, well done Chris! It's good to see another pilot in the making, especially at such an age. I wish you luck with the remainder of your course.

hoey5o; Get a grip. Your comments would incense a number of people my age who fly.
As someone who soloed at 16 I can honestly say that all I asked of my parents was a lift to and from the airfield at the weekend, and perhaps a bit of pocket money. I doubt it even amounted to that much given that I was holding down a weekend job at the time too. I've always had a passion for flying and so pursued it through whatever means I could. In my case, the Air Training Corps largely helped me to realise this, along with a scholarship from GAPAN. Once I had completed my PPL I worked as much as I could to continue flying, and still do now. I suspect that the total amount my parents have contributed to my flying to date is minimal.
Flying for people my age (19, incidentally) is not the preserve of those with rich parents, it's due to the fact that we give time, effort and perseverance to what we want. Attributes that should be encouraged, surely?

ASI

hoey5o
24th Feb 2005, 16:04
Well done St Ivian,
You sound like just the sort of person I have maximum respect for. I am sure with your attitude you will be a credit to avaition which ever path you choose

TheKentishFledgling
24th Feb 2005, 16:09
Just out of interest hoey5o, the way I understand your view is that you'd have more respect for a crap pilot who financed his licence on his own than a decent pilot who had his licence paid for by, say, his parents?

Edit: re-reading this, it could read that I mean ASI is a crap pilot - I don't mean that obviously!

tKF

shortstripper
24th Feb 2005, 16:21
That's a bit unfair TKF, it looks like hoey5o is regretting what he says and is laying down an offer of peace via his post to St Ivian.

But I could be wrong :E

SS

Another St Ivian
24th Feb 2005, 16:48
Ooo'er, best tread carefully here I think!

Don't worry, tKF, for a moment there I thought you might have seen my last crack at a stall turn :}

ASI

hoey5o
24th Feb 2005, 19:03
Kentish,
When did I ever mention anything about the standard of pilot. I simply have more respect for people perhaps like St Ivian than kids who can do a solo on the absolute legal minimum age because they are being bankrolled by their parents. I am not suggesting Chris is one because I dont know his circumstance.

PPRuNeUser0172
24th Feb 2005, 19:18
Hoey

Would you like some vinegar with that chip old bean? Give the lad a break. However he has achieved it, he has achieved solo on his 16th Birthday with relatively few hours. You claim to support young aviators et al and all you do is come across as a pompous and condescending individual.

Ian_Wannabe
24th Feb 2005, 19:30
Nice one - Congrats to ya :ok:

MLS-12D
24th Feb 2005, 19:49
I concur with everyone who has said "well done! It is a worthy achievement and it doesn't really matter where the money came from".

Notwithstanding the above, I don't agree with the following comment:He might be lucky enough to have well off parents, but couldn't the same be said that most of us are lucky enough to have jobs that allow us to be able to afford to fly?With all respect, this is confusing apples and oranges. Most people who have well-paying jobs owe that situation primarily to dedication and hard work, of which they can be justly proud. Merely being born of wealthy parents (which may or may not be the case for this young fellow, I have no idea) is not a praiseworthy accomplishment (cf. the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha).

Whirlybird
24th Feb 2005, 21:11
OK, so some people of all ages who fly are hardworking and upright citizens, some are filthy stinking rich, and some are just lucky. In terms of aviation achievement, who the bloody hell cares? An achievement in flying is just that, however it was financed. Let's keep the brownie points for the fine upstanding citizenship separate please.

long final
25th Feb 2005, 05:18
His Dad is a farmer. His Mum runs a B&B. Hard working people.

Well done Chris. An amazing achievement. A very nice, down to earth lad who knows what he wants to achieve and has worked very hard towards that goal.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Feb 2005, 05:28
Well. I'm impressed - I had my first flying lesson at 19, and finally went solo at 22 (don't even ask about my night rating), so the fellow is well ahead of the game so far as I'm concerned. Jolly well done.

It is true that lift is proportional to lightening of the pilots wallet, but skill, training, a degree of luck and determination are far more important. I know that Chris isn't the first to solo on his sixteenth birthday, he may not be the first to do his night solo (although I'd be inclined to talk to the Guinness book of records, he may well have achieved a "youngest ever night solo" record there - the Guinness certificates are very impressive), but he's certainly part of a very small and exclusive club. Tell him to keep up the good work, and I hope he gets his licence in short time as well.

G

High Wing Drifter
25th Feb 2005, 06:58
OK, so some people of all ages who fly are hardworking and upright citizens, some are filthy stinking rich...
...and most are in IT ;)

shortstripper
25th Feb 2005, 08:46
Well I'm in IT most of the time too ... trouble is, as a farm manager ... IT smells!:ooh:

SS:ok:

dublinpilot
25th Feb 2005, 09:47
MLS-12D

I think you might have misunderstood my point, when you quoted me.

I was simply trying to say, that whether someones flying is funded by parents, or through their own career, is irrelevant as far as their flying achievements goes. Their career achievements and their flying achievements are separate things, and shouldn't be confused.

This young mans flying achievements are a great accomplishment and deserve praise, irrespective of how it was financed.

dp

Whirlybird
25th Feb 2005, 10:25
Charles Lindbergh was a millionaire, wasn't he? :(

Dusty_B
25th Feb 2005, 11:25
Well, given that I had about 320hrs and 10 years of flying training under my belt - including passing my CPL and IR flight tests before my first night solo...

Damn good show!

:ok:

MLS-12D
25th Feb 2005, 15:55
Dublin,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I entirely agree that flying and career achievements should be kept separate. That's one of the great things of recreational aviation: its enthusiasts are very economically and socially diverse, but we all share a common interest, and pilots are assessed on their flying achievements rather than the size of their wallets or whatever.

I have made many friends through flying whom otherwise I would never have met ... and my life is much richer because of that.

LowNSlow
25th Feb 2005, 18:01
Congratulations Chris. As Genghis mentioned a quick check with the Guinness Book of Records is in order, the worst they can say is that somebody else did it first.

Somebody mentioned that most pilots are in IT. Well the IT I'm in smells of crude, oil that is.

Flyboy1980
25th Feb 2005, 18:25
Cannot beleive anyone could be anything but chuffed for the lad. I did my first solo at 23, and it was hard getting there, and a nerve racking experience - loved it of course!

I think you should think back to when you were 16 and imagine yourselves doing it then, I doubt I would have been mature enough at that age, and i'm sure some of you will say the same. I think it's a massive achievement however it was funded. I would recommend sending it to one of the mags, I imagine they will put a mention in the news section?

Well Done
FLy

MikeJeff
1st Mar 2005, 12:29
First of well done to him!

I know of someone who solo'd on 16th birthday and passed skills test at 16yrs 6 months. Probably not the first person to do that, nor the last. It won't ever be beaten tho!

pponting
1st Mar 2005, 21:54
Maybe he has rich parents, maybe he hasn't. So what? Flying can be expensive if you want it to be but it can also be affordable by most people who have average jobs and are keen to fly.

I wasted about £130 per month just smoking (I quit 1st Jan 05), just enough to cover an hour in a trainer including a few touch and goes, yet no one ever tutted at me and said, sheesh, your parents must be rolling in it for you to be a smoker, but hey, I only did a lesson per month so any smoker out there could get a PPL.

And before anyone says anything, I was smoking at 15 so could have been training for my PPL around this age but I chose to arse around for years where as this lad has chosen to develop his career.

Well done Chris

Whirlybird
2nd Mar 2005, 08:33
pponting,

I wasted about £130 per month just smoking (I quit 1st Jan 05), just enough to cover an hour in a trainer including a few touch and goes, yet no one ever tutted at me and said, sheesh, your parents must be rolling in it for you to be a smoker, but hey, I only did a lesson per month so any smoker out there could get a PPL.

EXTREMELY good point. :ok:

I heard of a teenager who was hooked on helicopters. So he got a part time job stacking shelves in a supermarket, and managed to pay for one lesson a fortnight. He hoped to have his PPL(H) in two years, then go comercial, at a very young age.

But of course, when he does, there will be those who say he only managed it because of rich parents. :(

eoincarey
3rd Mar 2005, 18:58
Slightly confused!! How can you do a night rating before you've done your ppl? Can you legally do that?

Anyhoo, bloody well done. I didnt solo till i was at least 17, and passed my GFT when i was 18, and I know what its like flying at a young age.

Eoin

TheKentishFledgling
3rd Mar 2005, 19:05
Slightly confused!! How can you do a night rating before you've done your ppl? Can you legally do that?

Yup. A night rating can be combined with a PPL - quite a few FTOs offer this package!

tKF

Bob Stinger
4th Mar 2005, 19:58
Well done Chris, i heard Westair had somebody who was going to do both day and night solo on the same day.

PPRuNe Pop
4th Mar 2005, 21:43
I think the night solo and day solo together might be somewhat unique but I doubt that the 16 year old birthday solo student is.

I re-call one David Perrin, yes the very one, who on his 16th birthday just jumped into an RF4 at Biggin at about 0905, take-off and do an immaculate aeros display over the airfield. It would be 1970 I think.

I was one of two or three pilots who flew with him when he was a student, to keep him legal, but who could demonstrate then his immense skills. Twas a great day that.

Anyway, well done Chris. A very nice achievement.