PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan island airfield?

aviate1138
24th Feb 2005, 07:40
In 1983 I was using a LearJet 25B N564CL from and with Clay Lacy Aviation, based at Van Nuys, shooting Visual Effects Sequences for a Movie. During our flights up and down Alaska over 7 fantastic days, amongst other airfields, we landed at Juneau and Ketchikan to reload our nose located camera. On one occasion we also landed on an island [further west] which had the most enormously wide runway I have ever seen. On the approach it looked like it was too short, because of the excessive width. I remember the day, May 13th because when we landed the whole airfield was covered in wild flowers and as my camera crew reloaded the camera, I lay in the grass in a fragrant carpet of clovers and cowslips? And no mosquitos!
The airfield turned out to be a QRA for the B-36 and apparently they used to take off in formation 3 abreast! Which explained the incredibly wide runway. There was one family, some fishermen and about 30 Grizzly Bears there. The main man had the job of keeping the grass in reasonable shape.
Anyone know where this airfield is and what it is called and is it still in good order?

Thanks in advance,

Aviate 1138

Bigwings
24th Feb 2005, 09:35
Hi aviate1138

Take a look here (http://www.explorenorth.com/library/yafeatures/bl-Annette.htm) hope that's what you're looking for.

Bigwings :ok:

PaperTiger
24th Feb 2005, 15:13
According to airnav (http://www.airnav.com/airport/ANN) the rwys at PANT (love that code :D ) are 150ft wide. 3-abreast BUFFs would need to be real tight !

aviate1138
27th Feb 2005, 10:43
Bigwings, Paper Tiger,

Thanks for the info but it isn't the airfield in question. I have emailed Clay Lacy but he is probably fishing or flying so I await a reply. I note he holds the highest number of hours flown and still current!
I hope the airfield turns up or I shall begin to wonder if it is a product of my fertile Movie imagination. We were on "The Never Ending Story" Pt [1] at the time, a fantasy film, but no I wasn't using any 'stimulants'!

Aviate 1138

Zoom
27th Feb 2005, 10:58
How about Shemya, although it was probably too far down the Aleutian Chain for your jet to get there and too secret even if you did?