PDA

View Full Version : Air Force ATC (RAAF)

Otis B Driftwood
24th Feb 2005, 07:34
Just after some info regarding the prospects for Mil ATC officers after they have done 10 or so years in the service......

Have been trying to find an answer for a while but to no avail.....

I'm keen on RAAF ATC and would like to do 10 or so years service then move into civilian ATC.....

Is the transition into the civilian ATC world a reasonably straight forward affair or is the military ATC time looked at differently to civilian service???? What sort of licence/validation does an ATC officer from the RAAF hold???

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'm not looking to the RAAF as just a training ticket, I'm really interested in the experience/adventure on offer....... Just not forever (30 years for me!!! ) I see it as a bit of a bummer if you don't get recognition for 10 years of experience in the civilian world when you decide to move on (Family,$$$ etc...)

Do any ex RAAF ATC people work O/seas.... Is that possible????

Thanks in advance

:ok: :ok: :ok:

Hatchet Harry
25th Feb 2005, 05:18
I asked the same sort of question about 18 months ago.....

The only reply I got was from someone who gave me a mouthful about having the hide to think of a career outside of the RAAF.

It was a lecture in worrying about "why I want to be in the RAAF" and not what I want out of a career....:confused: :confused:

Good luck with getting an answer......

Seems you're not supposed to think that far ahead, it's all about today. Maybe others can't deal with someone with a bit of vision and long term perspective:ok: :ok: :ok:

Airdrop Charlie
25th Feb 2005, 07:02
As far as I'm aware, your mil ATC license is recognised by ICAO, unlike ours in the Northern Hemisphere!!!

karrank
25th Feb 2005, 09:08
Promotion by merit here. We had a group of RAAF ATC move in recently, and they are moving into positions of responsibility even before they have all their ratings.

In short, your 10 years of experience counts for sod all in itself, but what you have learnt will be recognised & propel you upwards, if that is what you want.

I'll pass this onto somebody in this situation for their opinion.

sprogette
25th Feb 2005, 18:31
AsA tend to actively recruit ATCOs from the RAAF every few years and a number have moved across into civilian ATC. If you serve overseas whilst in the RAAF (on deployment) you should be issued an ICAO license. A number of controllers from the RAAF have kept their ear to the ground whilst in the military, made contacts (the way of the world) and are now working civilian ATC in NZ and Canada. However in nearly all cases (even AsA) the controllers still had to sit exams for the agency they applied for. The RAAF is always looking for controllers and its a pretty good way of life with good pay and the opportunity for deployment in the current world political situation. As with most ATC agencies management is often griped about - but I'm sure plenty would agree with me that the "grass is not always greener on the other side", there's good and bad to every job!!! Good luck:ok:

Otis B Driftwood
26th Feb 2005, 22:48
Thanks for the replies folks:O :O :O :O

I am really keen to follow my heart and go into the RAAF as an ATC Officer........ ( I've passed all the aptitude tests, but had to suspend my app 12 months ago due to a relocation to woop woop with work)

Long term career progression outside of the RAAF has been a big worry for me and has been the one thing that has kept me from taking the step..... I don't mind doing validations and exams to move on in life..... That's aviation!!!! I just don't want to get stuck in the RAAF forever if I decide it's not the life for me after doing my time.....

As long as the experience gained in the ADF is of value in the outside world, it's got to be a great career move:ok: :ok: :ok:

Anyone else with any info?????

No Further Requirements
27th Feb 2005, 08:34
G'day Otis,

I'm in the boat you are describing. I spent 10 years in the RAAF and have been with Airservices Australia for the last year and a half. I had a hoot in the RAAF with some great times (and some not so great) but on the whole, I enjoyed myself.

When it came to start the baby farm, we decided it was time to stop moving and come home. I decided to go enroute as I was guaranteed of staying in Melbourne. I got a shorter enroute course (abou 5.5 months) but started on the same wages as an 'off the street' person.

Now, AsA is recruiting 'controllers with previous experience' for TWR/APP spots, with a 6 week course and guaranteed postings for 2 years - and you get to apply for the spot of your choice so you know where you're heading. The wages at the college have imporved (about $46,000p/a) for previously qualifed controllers.

So, in answer to your question, it's not a dead end job in the RAAF if you wish to continue (at the moment). However, doors won't just open up - your RAAF qualifications are not formally recognised by AsA. Some overseas employers (Airways NZ for example) will recognaise and pay accordingly. AsA will not, but are quite happy to take you and your skills.

Hope this is of some help. PM me for more details if you need. Cheers all,

NFR.

Stunty
28th Feb 2005, 04:47
Couple of points.

1. Its a tough call how you want to play the interview with the RAAF people. They want to hear you are totally committed to the RAAF and the fact that you are already thinking of life after RAAF will not go down well. They think of you as an officer first and ATC second. That said, honesty sometimes works if you shoot straight from the hip - you will need to think about that carefully.

2. For all intensive purposes your RAAF ATC expereince "offically" counts for practically nothing outside of australia. As described AsA are currently recognising expereince in the form of short courses for RAAFies. I moved to Canada after the RAAF and Canada's policy is that you must complete a knowledge exam which is essentially the same as what a student graduating from the training school must pass. Attending the ATC college however is waived. So generally past Military ATC expereince will get you a foot in the door for testing/interview, but the RAAF does not give you any sort of ICAO recognised licence so you will have some sort of testing/training when you go civilian.

Anything else PM me.

Stunty.

Otis B Driftwood
28th Feb 2005, 05:32
Thanks NFR and Stunty.... Your replies hit the nail right on the head!!!!!!

Much appreciated:ok: :ok: :ok:

Looks like I'll be heading to the recruiting office again ASAP:oh:

P.S NFR, Check your msgs, got a few Q's for you.....