PDA

View Full Version : Chrislea Super Ace - home wanted!

bhm1045
23rd Feb 2005, 10:18
I have operated one of two flying Chrislea Super Aces for the past four years and am now faced with laying it up as I cannot afford the operating costs alone.

I'm sure this is a common problem - while people are very enthusiastic when they see it at flyins there have been no serious takers for shares or outright purchase.

Has anyone any details of the Robinson Redwing where I think a Trust was set up to help operate it? Any suggestions?

poor southerner
23rd Feb 2005, 11:52
Silly question this may be, but what are the operating costs of it. Is the engine near the end of its life. I know the overhaul of these old d.h.g.m's are soaring. or is it a parts issue ?

Although I have seen one of them about, my memory has faded. are they rag and tube ?.

ozplane
23rd Feb 2005, 13:57
You have my sympathy. The increase in insurance for my 2-seater now makes insurance the most expensive part of my flying. One more year perhaps before the money runs out. However there is a Miles Messenger at Sywell which had been owned by Norman(?) Spiller for 40 years and he has set up a trust for a mini "Historic Flight" to look after it. Perhaps a call to Sywell might shed some light. Good hunting. It would be a shame not to see your rare BRITISH light aircraft on the scene any more.

bhm1045
23rd Feb 2005, 14:14
Thanks for the info re the Sywell Messenger - will enquire.

In answer to how much does it cost, hangarage and insurance is around £2500 pa. Maintenance has been remarkably little - the Gipsy Major was re-built 90 hrs ago and has performed very well. The airframe is jig welded steel tube and ceconite covered and is as tough as old boots. I suppose about £300 pa on bits plus permits covers most of the rest.

It is also looked after by a bunch of enthusiasts (Aerofab at Bourne Park) who are quite fond of it and often do the odd bit for not a lot.

Sir George Cayley
23rd Feb 2005, 18:50
Have you investigated placing the Ace with a Museum on the basis that you own it but they operate it, with some hours to you.

I've heard of this sort of arrangement at Biggleswade for instance.

Worth a phone call. Is it still Mr Ogilvy

Sir George Cayley