PDA

View Full Version : Two instructors?

Eurotraveller
22nd Feb 2005, 12:50
Hello,

I'm training for my PPL (A) at weekends at a busy international airport; I've amassed about 9 hours of general handling around the local area and having just done stalling I'm ready to get into the circuit. At my school, circuits are done at a different airfield about 20 minutes flying time away (because the airport is so busy) so you really need to book a 2 hour lesson for circuits. The trouble is my instructor is so popular that I can only ever get 1 hour slots with him for the next few weeks, so it's looking like I might have to start booking a 2 hour session with a different instructor mid-week (my original instructor only flies at weekends).

I get on well with my instructor but I'm itching to progress to the next stage of my training- just wondering if anyone here has any experience of training with 2 different instructors simultaneously? Apart from the obvious continuity problems there might be, are there any other drawbacks? How about advantages?

Cheers
Eurotraveller

Aussie Andy
22nd Feb 2005, 12:57
Everyone seems to feel differently about this, but on balance I'd say that the more people you fly with, the more you learn. Different perspectives can be helpful sometimes. I'd recommend you book the new guy, and get on with it! :O

Be prepared for a harder time in the circuit than you have had so far: it's a hard thing to learn, and you and your instructor may well get frustrated with one another at some stage, whether you go with "Mr Popular" or the other guy!

Hope this helps,

Andy :ok:

Yorks.ppl
22nd Feb 2005, 13:05
I'm with aussie andy, fly with the new instructor and get on with it. Gaps in training whilst you wait for your prefered instructor are very counter productive, and there are enough obsticles in the way to stop you flying (like weather) without waiting for an instructor to become free.
Also, every time I fly with some one new I learn somthing new.

Tallbloke
22nd Feb 2005, 13:08
I agree with Andy, there is a lot to be said for having multiple instructors from the point of veiw of gaining experience. You may even find that different styles of instruction suit different bits of you tuition (presumably you start your navigation soon)

Beware though, being too keen to fly might mean you fly with too many instructors. I made this mistake with a well known London flying school once upon a time, I think I five different instructors in 11 sorties. Some of these sessions were completely valueless because of the lack of familiarity between myself and those instructors who had never flown with me.

Another thing, make sure that the instructors involved talk to each other before you fly, there is no point in you flying an exercise with one instructor that you have already flown with another! :ok:

revilo_rehsif
22nd Feb 2005, 16:47
I kind of have two instructors.

I agree that it is good because everyone flies differently, so you will be getting lots of advice and tips from two different people.

Both are excellent teachers at different aspects of flying. so you can learn be assured that in all aspects of flying you are being well taught.

There are however disadvantages:

they might have conflicting methods; for example on a flight computer one may prefer the Wind-Up method and the other the Wind-Down method.I dont have a problem with this, but i can un derstand how this could conflict.

Overall i like the idea of having multiple instructors
i recommend that you book with this other guy, if you dont seem to get on then just go back to weekends

PPRuNeUser0172
22nd Feb 2005, 17:05
Whats the problem with changing instructors? surely a different viewpoint is always a good thing, I think I have lost count of the number of instructors I have had throughout my training.

BroomstickPilot
22nd Feb 2005, 17:12
Eurotraveller,

First of all, in general I agree with all that has been said above.

Sure it is best if you can have one instructor, but two is not bad as long as they talk to one another or read one another's notes from your previous lessons before flying, (and as long as their teaching is not mutually incompatible).

If they don't, then it may be best to transfer your allegiance to instructor No. 2 entirely, or go to another school.

Give instructor No. 2 a fair try. He/she may not be 'John Popular', but with closer acquaintance you may find that he/she is a d**n good pilot/instructor and a good working relationship may develop that helps your flying. A less popular instructor may have more time for you. You may not want to go back to 'John Popular'.

Good luck with your training.

Broomstick.

Whirlygig
22nd Feb 2005, 17:33
Two instructors? During my PPL, I had four in all! Learnt much more, I am sure. If there was any conflict in anything that was said, I was would ask all for clarification. SOmetimes it was down to a different opinion; more often highlighted something else I hadn't understood.

Better to fly with someone else than have gaps in your lessons.

Cheers

Whirlygig

High Wing Drifter
22nd Feb 2005, 18:11
I had four PPL instructors. All excellent but some very experienced and some not so. So tend to agree with Andy.

However, the one complication is that the experienced instructors pass on their wisdom and the inexperienced (so I think I know now) did it more or less by the book. It occasionally got frustrating being told I was doing something incorrectly because the other guy had different views.

Mu Beta
22nd Feb 2005, 18:13
During my PPL training I had seven, five of whom were also airline pilots working for the same company so we had to fit around their work.

The good thing about them was that they all discussed what they'd done with me with each other so I got the combined benefit of all their knowledge and discussions.

I agree about the idea of getting different perspectives from everyone you fly with too, this can be very useful.

As long as what's being taught is of a high standard and consistent it doesn't matter how many instructors you have, but contunuity is important...there's nothing worse than having a few weeks away and then having to spend most of the lesson re-capping what you did on the last flight.

Miserlou
22nd Feb 2005, 19:49
When I started gliding umpteen years ago I had a different instructor every week.

All this wishy-washy, "oo, I want to fly withthe same guy" PC, luvvie, touchy feely, post-feminist p*ss.

If you want it spelt out another way, the airlines found SOPs a boon because you may never have met the other pilot before but you still have to produce the same result.

MLS-12D
22nd Feb 2005, 19:50
Unless there are some special circumstances, personally I think I would just go with Instructor No. 2 and not bother further with Mr. Popular. He may be an excellent instructor, but he is not unique in that regard and it shouldn't be too difficult to find a different instructor (No. 2, or if he doesn't work out, someone else) who is both competent and able to accomodate your schedule.

I'm training for my PPL (A) at weekends at a busy international airport... At my school, circuits are done at a different airfield about 20 minutes flying time away (because the airport is so busy) so you really need to book a 2 hour lesson for circuits.Time spent in the aerial commutes is not an entire waste (you can practice certain things en route), but this is certainly not the most efficient or cost-effective way to train.
I suggest that you seriously consider moving to a different school, located at a less busy airport (perhaps at the smaller one that you are using for circuits). Although you may have a longer drive to and from your home, you will save significant money over the balance of your training.

Tarnished
22nd Feb 2005, 22:23
Agree with what has been said so far.

I would however advise that once you get into the circuit flying and lead up to solo followed by any consolidation thereafter that you stick with the one guy. Circuit flying has enough to think about without having to interpret what another instructor is saying and relating it to what you were told before.

Of course in an ideal world "standardisation" would ensure that everyone teaches things the same way, but we all know that the feline's pelt can be removed in many varied and intriguing ways.

T

Eurotraveller
22nd Feb 2005, 22:57
Thanks for all your advice, I've booked 2 lessons next week, one with the other instructor so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I'll be able to progress a bit quicker this way...it's got to be better than waiting weeks to move onto the next bit of my flying, especially since so many lessons get cancelled anyway due to the weather :rolleyes:

Roll on summer....

Cheers
Eurotraveller

:ok:

MikeeB
23rd Feb 2005, 12:06
I managed seven between January and August in 2003, and that's not because any left or joined during my PPL training.

Don't think it did me any harm, but I did favour 2-3 over the others, from the point of view of personality more than anything else.

Dusty_B
23rd Feb 2005, 15:56
I've had more than 25 instructors!
Go with the flow... :ok: