PDA

View Full Version : Air Law for first solo?

Vee One...Rotate
21st Feb 2005, 22:54
Just a quicky.

As a general rule is a pass in Air Law required before first solo or is it at the discretion of individual flight schools?

Cheers,

V1R :O

Genghis the Engineer
21st Feb 2005, 22:59
Yes and yes.

It's technically at the schools discretion, but almost universally required.

G

Dave Gittins
22nd Feb 2005, 12:41
I agree with Ghengis. In my chequered career I did 3 "first solos" over about 12 years, Chester, Barton and Luton ..... and Air Law has been a "must have" at all of them.

I think Nav was a "must have" for flying solo out of the circuit as well at one of them.

Dave

BEagle
22nd Feb 2005, 12:47
We strongly encourage passes in Air Law, RT Theory and Human Performance before First Solo. However, if a student hadn't passed but was ready for First Solo, we wouldn't stop him/her from doing it if the moment was right.

But the student would then be grounded until he/she had passed these 3 exams.

Aircraft(General) can be passed whenever the student wishes.

We also require that Navigation, Flight Performance and Planning and Meteorology are passed before the student goes beyond Nav Intro.

We insist that RT Practical is passed before the student does the QX-C.

eoincarey
22nd Feb 2005, 16:17
At my flying school, no mention was made of Air Law or Nav before my first solo and solo nav respectively. I was of course expected to do them eventually, but no limits were put in place, and it was all done on a convenience basis (weather's good today, exam can wait, lets get him flying).
Different schools, different methods.
Eoin

revilo_rehsif
22nd Feb 2005, 16:25
My school insisted that i do Air Law before first solo, and then in order to do solo Nav, you have to do the Nav exam. Quite simple really:ok:

Vee One...Rotate
22nd Feb 2005, 23:09
Thanks for the info. The balance of opinion agrees with what I suspected.

Cheers,

V!R :ok:

Whirlybird
23rd Feb 2005, 08:21
There are also exceptions made occasionally. At the school I did my PPL(A) at they insisted on Air Law before first solo...usually. However there was one young lad who was ready for solo in single digit hours, but he just couldn't pass exams. After either his second or third attempt at Air Law they let him go solo. He passed Air Law on the fourth attempt, and as far as I remember, finished all the flying while still struggling to get his last exam or two. :(

Me, at the time I was still getting lost on all my navs, having finally managed to learn to land. But I'd passed all the exams long before with no real problems.

I suppose life is fair, sometimes. :) :ok:

FireDragon
23rd Feb 2005, 14:04
Whirly

Clearly, your school was in breach of CAA specifications.

If you fail an exam for the THIRD time, you are required to attempt the next resit at Gatwick, after a specified 'cooling off' period.

Would be interesting to see what they put on his PPL licence application form...

Whirlybird
23rd Feb 2005, 23:01
FireDragon,

The school contacted the CAA after his third fail, and they sent up another paper. It seems like this, as with so many other things, is flexible.

Bernd Podhradsky
4th Mar 2005, 15:33
Hi Guys!

I made my first solo before even going once to a theory lesson. I started flying Jule 2003 and had my first solo in August (13 hours) and never saw a theory book from inside.

My flight instructor told me everything during the training and it was no problem since I only had to do some traffic patterns which was no problem at all.

Maybe this depends on the country, but here in Austria (pre JAR/FCL) no such regulations are existant.

Bye,
Bernd